Senior Internship

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AMTRAK-P42

Conductor
Well guys, its that time. As the middle of my senior year rolls around, my school has a tradition of allowing 3 days in February for the seniors (06 baby!) to have off school in order to partake in internships. Most people do the usual 3 days at work with their parents, or with a radio station so they can get on-air, but I was hoping to do something with Amtrak. This is where I’m hoping someone who checks out the boards can help me out. I was not exactly sure where to start, so I figured I would post on here first.

The days I have for the internship are February 16, 17 and 18th. It would have to be something I could do out of Atlanta. I know this is where it gets hard. Our station consists of little more then a desk and a waiting area, since the servicing of the trains in ATL have long since passed (with the exception of during hurricanes, inclement weather, etc). I would love to do something onboard #19/20 but I don’t know how possible this is. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of where I should go in order to pursue this. I have a little over a month to finalize my plans for internship, so I’m hoping I can get things going soon.

Thanks guys! :D

Try calling the ATL station. Jim Drummond is the new District Manager of Stations and he may have some ideas. 404-881-3063. Don't call at train time or immediatlely after since everyone is busy. 12 Noon is not a bad time. Good luck.

Where do you go to school? Is it close to the station?

I'd suggest you try something at a large facility, such as New Orleans, where there's a shortage of employees and an assortment of various operation and transportation departments that may have opportunities rather than a station like ATL. As you've already stated, due to extensive closed shop rules and safety regulations, you're chances to get real world experience at Amtrak are going to be difficult. I can give you the phone number of the On-board Service department in NOL: (504) 528-1676, ask for Norma Johnson, Acting Crew Base Manager. She'll be able to give you some suggestions and direction in your quest. She has the ear of many high ranking Amtrak officials in the Southern Region that can give authority on your project if she thinks that an intership is a good idea. Good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back