Serious injury at HIA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miami Joe

Lead Service Attendant
Sad news at work today and everyone concerned for our friend! :(

Was curious about #92's annullment and was shocked by the info!

Early Sunday morning, a few guys were changing out a traction motor on a loco at the wheelpit area. At the same time, CSX was switching out B/O cars on #92 and #98. As been said before, CSX is contracted by Amtrak to do the switching in the yard and moving the consists to the station or to yard. Due to low seniority of engineers and conductors, we end up with the "newbies" and our yard has become a training facility against our objections.

Seems the night was off to a bad start! :( One consist was "spotted" after the moves and the lounge car was on the bottom of the train! :blink: Called CSX back to move cars again.

Anyway, CSX was making their moves and all moves from the "running" tracks use the "lead" track next to the wheel pit. 30 to 60 moves a day happen on this track. Being an everday occurence, everyone continues with their jobs and blocks the noise out to concentrate or hear the other workers during movement of the wheel lift.

CSX pulled a consist out of the yard, which brings the switcher and half the consist past the wheelpit. The conductor didn't properly lock the swith down and when the consist was being pushed back into the yard, "all hell broke loose!"

A coachcar near the bottom of the consist split the switch and each truck went to a different track as the engine continued to push. Everything from the coach back started to derail and rip the rail out as the cars approached the wheel pit.

One car struck the back of the loco as the guys were working under the loco. Not paying attention to the move, worker was reaching for a hydraulic jack when the loco was shoved 18 ft and the wheel of the loco sliced off the back of his arm from shoulder to elbow and broke his wrist. Thankfully it didn't damage the bone. Another guy injured his back trying to get away and was traumatized by the incident. A roof stanchion was also struck causing the pit roof to sag on one side.

With the lead blocked to the station and the loco damaged for #92, we were fortunate to get #98 out within the timeframe.

The worker's prognosis is good so far and think his arm will be OK after reconstruction and skin grafts. I'm sure alot of us at HIA will be praying for him for the next few weeks.

As expected, all the "big shots" from Amtrak and CSX were on the site within hours and anticipate changes soon. Management at Amtrak has been on CSX's ass for the last 3 months and this is the "last straw."

Pray for my friends and will keep everyone updated on his recovery.

It makes me sad, this kid is only 25-28 yrs old.

MJ

B)

Wow, is all I can say. :( My best to both workers.

That's two incidents for CSX this month in Hialeah. Maybe it's time to consider another option.

I am sorry that you guys had to experience this. We pray for all of you to recover physically and emotionally. Take care of yourselves, and continue to do the excellent job that you do down in Miami.

Try like 4 incidents within 60 days! :eek:

This incident(1), flipping the coach on its side(2), improper switch setting on test track, ramming cars on track and derailing into spare wheelsets(3) and hitting the "honey" truck(4).

Was told Amtrak would have switcher and crews in place by July 1st. :unsure:

MJ B)

Amtrak had a EAP rep on site today and passed out literature if anyone needed help coping.

Miami Joe said:
Was told Amtrak would have switcher and crews in place by July 1st. :unsure:
Let's hope so, and that they send you qualified crews with open eyes. We can't keep loosing cars and especially workers to incidents like this.

Thanks for the info there, Joe. I was wondering what actually happened down there. I was on the inbound #91-16th ariving on Sun the 17th, and noone at the crewbase could give me any useful information regarding this. My regards to those injured. Something needs to be done about the switching situation down there soon! OBS....

Best of wishes to the injured workers...an unfortunate incident, but good to know both guys aren't seriously indangered. Hopefully CSX will be able to wake up and be a little more careful until Amtrak takes over.

I agree with everyone. I would not be suprised if amtrak starts looking at using its own crews for switching.

engine999 said:
I would not be suprised if amtrak starts looking at using its own crews for switching.

Did you actually read Joe's post above? :unsure:

He said that effective July Amtrak would have its own switcher and crews.

Thank god it was his arm and not his head!!!!

I guess this incident was courtesy of the Chicken Shi* Xpress (CSX) again.

I really hope that they give yall, your own switchers on July first like they said they would!!!

Give regards to your injured friends.

Jon Parker

AlanB said:
engine999 said:
I would not be suprised if amtrak starts looking at using its own crews for switching.

Did you actually read Joe's post above? :unsure:

He said that effective July Amtrak would have its own switcher and crews.
Woops :D . Looks like I need to read thourghly. Sorry.

Three words, bout damn time. They've needed Amtrak switch crews down there for the longest time, it's just a shame people had to get hurt before it happened.

I don't have experience with switching operations so to me, the question becomes, are Amtrak switch crews better than CSX crews, or do the CSX crews just not care as much for switching Amtrak equipment as their own?

It isn't good that this happens, but couldn't it just as likely have happened with CSX cars?

Thanks!

Well there are a few differences between Amtrak and CSX switch crews. Amtrak guys only ever work with passenger equipment, have trained on it and worked on it throughout their careers, and will generally take better care of it. Also, since they will only ever see that yard, they will be more familiar with the yard, it's layout and how to spot things. It's also less likely that they will make boneheaded moves like the CSX guys do (like Joe mentioned tying the lounge on to the bottom of the train). They will also probably be more timely in making the moves, since they can't be pulled away for anything else except Amtrak work (from time to time the Hialeah yardmaster will pull the crew for Amtrak to make a move for one of their trains that has to get out). Finally, some of the boys that got rolled out of JAX when the Lakeland jobs got cut off may be able to transfer back to Zone 6, since some are either furloughed or further from "home" (San Antonio, Washington, etc.). All in all I'd say it's much more better to have Amtrak crews.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers! :D

I'll pass on the well wishes when I visit him! :)

Just to update everyone, I was wrong about his injury. He lost flesh and muscle tissue from his elbow to his wrist, which was broken. He's had a few operations since the accident for cleaning and removal of dead tissue. Part of his elbow was crushed by the loco wheel.

Although medicated, he is in a "good state of mind"! :D

As in any industrial accident, promises are made to appease the workers. Let's see what happens in the next few months.

A little info!

CSX uses 2 man crews, Amtrak uses 3 man crews. Some CSX employees have developed "attitudes" over the years and have been known to "drag their feet" during moves or feign an illness and leave, knowing there is no one to replace them. Many times, I've walked into the yard and no switching was done and the trains are 2-4 hrs late on departure.

Thanks again!

MJ B)

Until July, don't y'all have anybody with the appropriate license down there that could do switching (using a Genesis if necessary) when/if the CSX crew basically refuses to do the job right? Or are you contractually forbidden from doing it? I don't know what it costs to run an engine, but seems like if (pardon the pun) push comes to shove, y'all could just step in and do some of the switching if it meant a train leaving on time instead of leaving late. And then have Amtrak document it to CSX HQ. Better yet, video some of the stuff CSX pulls and send 'em the tape. Of course, if y'all are going to take over the job in July anyway, I guess at that point it's moot, but not until then. And please do tell your co-worker that a LOT of folks are thinking of and praying for him. That's very distressing news about his elbow.

I haven't read your full post AmtrakWPK, but a Genesis couldn't be used for switching, its against federal law/regulations. For decades it's been where there needs to be a walkway around the engine in order for it to be permitted to operate as a switcher. Unless Amtrak wanted to start DHing a P-32-8BWH (which is routinely used in switching lately) or a switcher to Hialeah, that wouldn't work.

So if they are out on a double track area somewhere and have a problem with a car that they have to cut out of the train in order to proceed, they have to wait for a switcher(and it's crew) to travel who knows how far in order to cut out a car? That doesn't make much sense. (which I suppose meets the definition of a gov't reg.)

I doubt it. Those new switchers are supposed to be for the nec, due to their ability to fit in low clearance spaces. Most likely a p32-8 or one of the other switchers on amtrak's roster will make it to mia.

A couple of things, first off in all likelyhood there will be the 3 man crew as has been stated, one guy throwing switches, the other guy working on the bottom. Second, a DASH-8 is likely yo be used since they are generally allocated for this duty and will use many of the same parts Hialeah already has (and when necessary can be run up to Sanford for PM). Finally, AFAIK there is no law that PROHIBITS the Genesis series from being used as a switcher. It is extremely difficult to do because the Conductor is forced to ride in the cab or helicopter room at all times, as they are not allowed to ride the ladders due to the way the engine is set up. For example, the Sanford night job regularly uses the outbound road power to switch because it is easier for the crew and mechanical to just use that power than pull out 506/556 for the few moves they have to make each night. There is also a Special Instruction in the CSX Employee Timetable (which I don't have handy) on the Miami Subdivision regulating the use of a P-42 as a switcher. The rule essentially says that the crew is prohibited from riding the ladders of the engine when it has to be used due to a lack of other power.

The way the union contracts are set up, we can move the locos within the Amtrak yard limits,but forbidden to couple to a car or consist.

The CSX switch crew is based in the yard and usually on the job within 5-10 minutes. They have been pulled off the job by CSX ops if needed. :( They usually work 4-5 hrs at the beginning of shift moving cars, take 1hr lunch and come back. The problems start if a crew member books off with no replacement, leaves during the shift or we have alot of cars with bad wheels and no replacemrnts. :(

We have used P-42's for switching when CSX loco is B/O. The biggest drawback with the P-42 is the propulsion is controlled by digital computers and there is a long delay when switching from forward to reverse. The switch engine controller is analog for instant response, trucks are geared for acceleration and big windows for visability.

We do have a car mover that we use on the wheelpit, but the "no couple" rule applies on it too!

MJ B)

Makes sense to use a P32-8, but a few years ago there was a sw-1200 i believe could have been something different stationed in jax for mail switching. Did they send it to sandford for maitence? Also, do they still use the older switchers for the auto train still?

I'm glad to hear that at least they CAN use the Genesis to switch if it becomes necessary. I wouldn't expect it to be very efficient, but at least it would be able to do it. And I know it's moot as of July because Amtrak folks will be doing the switching instead of CSX, but the contract maybe should have said that if CSX didn't show up to actually do the work within, say, 30 minutes of being called, then y'all should have been allowed to do the work in order to get the job done expeditiously ( and as an incentive to CSX to be more responsive ). Of course, I don't know if it's possible to have work crew that's double-qualified to do car movements and maintenance/repair both. Certainly you couldn't afford to have a switching crew sitting on their hands all day just in case they might be needed. Maybe you can't have folks that go across crafts. I have no idea on that one. But in the military and in regular workplace stuff it's always been beneficial in my experience to have folks that are cross-trained to fill in other positions temporarily when necessary.

Back