service between stations in Bos

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mp-44

Train Attendant
although a long time rider I do very little NEC running does the regional from lynchburg go through to Bos. and how much time should I allow between South Bos and North Bos as I want to take the Downeaster to Portland

although a long time rider I do very little NEC running does the regional from lynchburg go through to Bos. and how much time should I allow between South Bos and North Bos as I want to take the Downeaster to Portland
Yes, the new NEC Regional serving Lynchburg provides direct service from Lynchburg to Boston.

From South Station to North Station is only 1.5 miles. By public transit, Google estimates about 15 minutes (whether by Red-Green or by Silver), but you have to factor in some time for waiting. Plus you need time to get off Amtrak and to the MBTA, and from the MBTA to the Downeaster. And the Regional might not arrive right on time.

So, I would allow at least an hour, to be safe, even though you could theoretically get off the Regional, dash through the station, hail a cab, get to North Station, and dash in to the Downeaster in just ten minutes if everything went absolutely perfectly. Of course, that might get you stuck in traffic. Best not to chance it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I would reccomend getting of at the Boston Back Bay Station (One stop before South Station) where you can catch an Orange Line train directly to North Station.

If you go from the South Station then you have to transfer subway lines to get to North Station.. so it takes a bit longer.

A better transfer, if you don't have much luggage, is to take the Regional to Back Bay (1 stop before South Station). From Back Bay, you can catch the Orange Line (also in the station, up the escalator and just next to the Amtrak tracks) which go right to North Station! :)

If you have many bags, you may want to go to South Station and grab a cab. Either way, allow at least 1 hour to be sure.

A better transfer, if you don't have much luggage, is to take the Regional to Back Bay (1 stop before South Station). From Back Bay, you can catch the Orange Line (also in the station, up the escalator and just next to the Amtrak tracks) which go right to North Station! :)
If you have many bags, you may want to go to South Station and grab a cab. Either way, allow at least 1 hour to be sure.
I think I will chance it with a cab but will leave myself enough time to do so there are so many combinations of trains to get to bos hard to choose just don't want toget off in WAS or NYP

I think I will chance it with a cab but will leave myself enough time to do so there are so many combinations of trains to get to bos hard to choose just don't want toget off in WAS or NYP
I'm not sure if you mean Amtrak to Boston, or the T when in Boston.

If you meant Amtrak trains to Boston, EVERY Amtrak train going to Boston stops at Back Bay to drop off passengers - then continues 1 MILE MORE to South Station!

If you meant the T (subway), from Back Bay, you board the Orange Line at Back Bay and get off at North Station like 5-6 stops later! If you took the T from South Station, you would need to take 1 line IIRC 1 stop and transfer to another line. Or you could take a cab. The cost of the T is IIRC $1.75. A cab is much more.

I'm not sure if you mean Amtrak to Boston, or the T when in Boston.

If you meant Amtrak trains to Boston, EVERY Amtrak train going to Boston stops at Back Bay to drop off passengers - then continues 1 MILE MORE to South Station!

If you meant the T (subway), from Back Bay, you board the Orange Line at Back Bay and get off at North Station like 5-6 stops later! If you took the T from South Station, you would need to take 1 line IIRC 1 stop and transfer to another line. Or you could take a cab. The cost of the T is IIRC $1.75. A cab is much more.
Its Amtrak to Bos I will have one other person plus bags so I think a cab will work better

The T is $2/one way unless you have a plastic charlie card, in which case it is $1.70/one way. Highly unlikely that most tourists have charlie cards as they are unavailable at the charlie ticket machines. One might be able to buy them online now, though. They are reloadable plastic cards with an rfid that you can just wave at the gate. The paper charlie tickets with a magnetic strip must be passed through the fare reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back