Service disruption in the east

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Superliner Diner, we will be glad to track your progress on #97 in April just give us a little reminder.

I usually start tracking progress on my trips a night or two before they begin, just to see if there is a pattern or delays or whatever. So glad now it can be done anonymously instead of having to go through a live voice.

Anyway, hope Viewliner doesn't have any more problems.

I usually start two to three weeks ahead of time, lol. A few years ago, I had a trip on the three rivers, and called to check status as I was going into school to go to work. Well, that day was a rough day on the railraod. The agent looked in the computer and provided a detailed explanation about how a freight break down had delayed 40. I felt like I was there, and it sure beat the hell out of being at work. :D

Superliner Diner (and anyone else), we will gladly track your train. :)

Viewliner is scheduled to arrive into West Palm Beach, FL at 10:58pm or 3 hours, 12 minutes late. The last report was at 4:15 PM, at Jacksonville, FL, and #97(20) was running 3 hours and 33 minutes late (a railfans dream, but hell for passengers).

Sometimes delays are really pretty nice. I remember my first trip to Chicago, years ago, about 1960, I believe. The train(a coach only train--no set out sleepers--mostly a mail train) was scheduled to arrive Chicago about 3:30 a.m. It was winter and snowing. Fortunately it was about four hours late. I don't think ANYBODY was complaining.

In January 2000, I was on the Auto Train and we were running 8 hours late out of Snaford and by morning we were only in Savannah, GA running 10 hours late. For some this was a major inconvenience, for me I got to observe some rare daylight viewing in the Carolinas (usually traveled during the night).

AlanB said:
So based upon that it would appear that the trains are still running, even though there are huge delays through that area. I'm guessing that just like they did with the snow storm, CSX is playing games again and probably trying to curtail service so they don't have to deal with passenger service. :( Plus since everything has to run slow due to the flooding, they are giving priority to their freight trains.
Sadly it appears that my guess above was correct. :(

According to this weeks NARP Hotline (story at bottom of page), CSX did indeed play games. While restricting Amtrak and VRE to 15 MPH running, they allowed their own freight trains to run at 40 MPH during the flash flood warnings.

Superliner Diner said:
This is where the wrecks last year of the Auto Train and the Capitol Limited really hurt operations of the Auto Train. There used to be a third, or "protect" trainset sitting in Sanford during normal operations. The three sets were used interchangeably, allowing them proper breaks for maintenance. The third set also helped them in situations like this, where the southbound would be arriving after the northbound should have departed. The extra set could have left Sanford on time, and the late-arriving southbound would become the new spare. Unfortunately, this is no longer possible, but it makes one wonder just how the cars get their maintenance, save for unscheduled annullments as happened once this week due to the flooding.
Well as far as maintenence is concerned after the train is broken down (carriers spread across tracks 5-10) the switcher will come in and remove any cars that need wheels, maintenence, or to go into deep clean. Generally those that need maintenence are replaced by a car from deep clean. Cars that need wheels are generally sent back out on the road that day. Also in situations like they have been faced with they will try to build a train from what cars they do have in deep clean, on storage tracks, or whatever.What's really too bad is that the Sunset isn't around right now to keep the flow of cars moving, and possibly bringing extra cars to the yard.

Poor Poor Poor Viewliner. I spoke with a firend of mine (not Viewliner) about the mess that was Friday. He told me that while he was at lunch in Sanford the boss man came looking for him, he ended up working as the relief crew for 53(20). They drove up to Paltka and picked the train up from Pecan siding (just north of Palatka). 97(20) (Viewliner's train) was right in front of them, with 91 behind 53, so the order was 97, 53, and 91 all of the 20th. Once the group of three got down to Barberville for the meet with 92 the signals had gone down. So they were hand throwing switches from Barberville (A734) to Benson Junction (A761). 53 pulled into SFA for servicing, while 97 and 91 continued south. He said it took three hours from Palatka to SFA. 91 terminated at ORL busing PAX's the rest of the way. The equipment was wyed at Stanton (A798) and brought back to SFA (A766). 98(22)'s PAX's were then bussed to ORL yesterday where they picked up 98. 98 was reportedly an interesting make up with a P-42 on either end of the train. I will try to get engine numbers later on in the week. Viewliner finally reached West Palm at 00:15 early Saturday morning.

I'm guessing his attendant probably had to give him a wake up nudge. I'm also guessing that 97 would've recieved a relief crew there, not too sure about that though.

If his mom was there, I bet she was pissed. I know my girl friend did not appreaciate a six hour delay on the capitol a few years ago.

Ironically, on another trip to New York on 48, she was delayed three hours because the police were dealing with a dead body on the track's in Ohio. A scene from Denzel Washington's Bone Collector has a similar set up, accept on the riverside line appraoch into Penn station. Naturally, I asked if she saw Denzel giving 48 a highball wave. :D

If his mom was there, I bet she was pissed. I know my girl friend did not appreaciate a six hour delay on the capitol a few years ago.
Strangely my mother (whom I travel by train the most with as my dad is not big on rail travel) does not mind the delays when on board the train and enjoys the extra time. However, that one very delayed trip on the Auto Train got to her as she still had to drive 600 miles home (with me and my sister) and we were already a day behind schedule. Thus returning to school late and my mother had to play catch up with some work.

Let's all hope Viewliner has a better trip northbound. I will not be at work at the time he is traveling so I will not know what everybody is sayng. But I will be at home, staying in touch with "Julie" and seeing what she says about it.

I probably will be in the office for a brief time Sunday afternoon.

VRE and Amtrak had reached an accord with CSX following last month’s President’s Day blizzard, during which CSX closed its main lines in the Washington, D.C., area to VRE and MARC commuter trains and Amtrak service. The agreement in part maintains that freight and passenger trains would have the same speed restrictions. VRE and Amtrak say they’ll take the issue up with CSX.
According to the above quote, it would appear that not only did CSX play favorites with their own trains, they actually violated a binding agreement. One can only hope that CSX is forced to pay a large fine for breach of that agreement. Either that or Amtrak, MARC, and VRE get to travel for free on CSX for the next two months. Yeah I know that I'm dreaming. :rolleyes: But a guy can still hope that one day they freight companies are forced to play ball.

You can read the full story from Trains.com

Bill Haithcoat said:
Let's all hope Viewliner has a better trip northbound. I will not be at work at the time he is traveling so I will not know what everybody is sayng. But I will be at home, staying in touch with "Julie" and seeing what she says about it.
I will be joining Viewliner for the trip north on 98 up to WPK. My Grandmother's birthday is Saturday, so my Mom and I will take 98 to have lunch with the family, and then return back here to Ft Lauderdale on 97 that afternoon. I'm looking forward to these next few days as I'm working sound tech tomorrow and Wednsday at school, a trip to Winter Haven (maybe SFA) on Thursday, exams Friday (bleh), 98-97 on Saturday, likely 98-97 on Sunday, and the MLB Opening Day Monday Afternoon.

I will definitely tell Viewliner that his thoughts are missed here on the forum. My job/responsibilities as a sound tech include operating and maintaining the school's sound system, consulting on the design of sets, and the overall maintenence of the auditorium. Tonight I will be operating the sound board in addition to consulting on lighting systems.

Battallion this may be more appropriate for another forum but do you have a sense on how the Sunset is doing with timekeeping these days? It seemed to have gotten better. Is it getting worse again?

(Sorry but my computer won't login). I'm not to sure how she's doing of late. Since it temporarily stopped running down here, I have stopped checking. Likewise I won't here from my buddy as he won't be working that yard job anymore, as he now has a regular job in the daytime yard.

Well, because of the Delay I got off in Delray Beach (Closer to my grandfather's), at 12:40. My mom was a little upset. But if anything the attendant needed the nudge. He was very nice, even let me try out my keys. I'll admit delays are usually good, but not like those that get me in so late.

It got to Newark On Time (Early maybe), I unfortunately didn't get a pic of the locomotive, and left a minute or two late, and started falling behind after.

Heres a fun tidbit of info: #188 Died for a few minutes, before reaching Savannah, fortunately they got it started up again.

Amfleet said:
Welcome Back. B) Looking forward to a full report. :)
Good, glad to be back (well sort of, I do miss the train too.). Well I'll be doing another trip in December. Report will be in the next week or two. Do you guys want to hear only the train parts? or all of it (Florida too)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back