Shared showers for roomettes questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, in a way, I'm happy for the new Viewliner II sleepers with 2 community toilets down the hall. Saves the problem of having to roll up the bed at night just to take a leak.
Why? You can use the toilet in a Roomette without rolling up the bed or anything like that.
He was still referring to the 10-6 Roomettes; the bed covered the toilet when it was deployed.
Then why was he saying that he's happy about the V-IIs having two toilets down the hall? They are replacing the V-Is, not the 10-6s.
I have a case of overweight old age 'manspread', necessitating sitting to pee. BPH also a contributing factor.
Right but why can't you just do that in the roomette toilet?
Is there no question you wont ask?

So, in a way, I'm happy for the new Viewliner II sleepers with 2 community toilets down the hall. Saves the problem of having to roll up the bed at night just to take a leak.
Why? You can use the toilet in a Roomette without rolling up the bed or anything like that.
He was still referring to the 10-6 Roomettes; the bed covered the toilet when it was deployed.
Then why was he saying that he's happy about the V-IIs having two toilets down the hall? They are replacing the V-Is, not the 10-6s.
I have a case of overweight old age 'manspread', necessitating sitting to pee. BPH also a contributing factor.
Is there no question you wont ask?
Basically.
default_smile.png

I do use the toilet in the roomette, simply need to spread out to do it that cannot be done with the bed down. I've heard passengers ask is the a full size toilet available so I've pointed them to the loungecar.

I do use the toilet in the roomette, simply need to spread out to do it that cannot be done with the bed down. I've heard passengers ask is the a full size toilet available so I've pointed them to the loungecar.
Got it.
default_smile.png

MAN!!! This thread is quickly going down the toilet!!!

Although I never took any measurements of a Superliner rest room, I'd guess that two of them would fit nicely in the footprint of a roomette. That being the case, the diagonal toilet plan in updated Superliner Is would work very nicely, in my opinion.

I'll admit using the toilet with the bed down was a challenge in a Viewliner Sleeper when I tried it the first time. But, I did figure out a way that I could use it without too much difficulty.

I'm going to have to better check-out the cubby hole storage space about the door. Some of you have been more successful in getting luggage that sounds larger than what I use as a carry-on into that space. Maybe if I had longer arms would help? (I wear, comfortably, a 31 inch sleeve on a dress shirt. And, just try to find that when shopping!)

Interestingly, even though we always travel with two people in each room, we have always been able to fit all our bags in a single Roomette - regardless of how long a trip. You can put a backpack or two on the ledge (on top of the garbage) and another on the toilet, and can put a couple decently sized suitcases in the storage cubby. That really is plenty for us.
Obviously you are not old enough to have to take along all the additional things we seniors seem to need. When we were younger, a carry-on for the two of us was sufficient for a European trip. Even two are not enough for a domestic one now.

So you'all sleep with your head on a toilet?!? Gurrr-ose! I don't think I'd opt to sleep in a bathroom! LOL On the AT I have taken a shower in the room...but generally will go downstairs where the shower is huge...and I always find a stack of large towels, soap, shampoo, in the shower/anti-room. We do get 2 large towels up on a ledge in our rooms' shower. And under the sink there are small towels, washcloths, soap, etc.

So you'all sleep with your head on a toilet?!? Gurrr-ose! I don't think I'd opt to sleep in a bathroom! LOL On the AT I have taken a shower in the room...but generally will go downstairs where the shower is huge...and I always find a stack of large towels, soap, shampoo, in the shower/anti-room. We do get 2 large towels up on a ledge in our rooms' shower. And under the sink there are small towels, washcloths, soap, etc.
Not necessarily related to trains, but I remember when I went backpacking where bear canisters were required, a park ranger said that I shouldn't bury my used TP. Something about it possibly attracting bears. He recommended that I double bag my used TP and place it in my canister with my food.

So you'all sleep with your head on a toilet?!? Gurrr-ose! I don't think I'd opt to sleep in a bathroom!
The toilet is not under the bed, and it's not near your head (yay, that rhymes). It's at the "foot end" of the room, partially separated from the bed (or seat during the day) by a small fiberglass panel. And the lid completely covers it - you'd probably never know it's there if you didn't see the flush button. So really, it's not bad at all, and a good option for someone who can't afford to spend thousands of dollars on two Bedrooms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interestingly, even though we always travel with two people in each room, we have always been able to fit all our bags in a single Roomette - regardless of how long a trip. You can put a backpack or two on the ledge (on top of the garbage) and another on the toilet, and can put a couple decently sized suitcases in the storage cubby. That really is plenty for us.
Obviously you are not old enough to have to take along all the additional things we seniors seem to need. When we were younger, a carry-on for the two of us was sufficient for a European trip. Even two are not enough for a domestic one now.
Well when I took my 86 year old grandfather on the Silver Meteor last summer, he had plenty of room in his Roomette, and he is not one known for exercising restraint when packing...

If you find that' seek out the SCA and ask her/him to move them. They will be glad to do it. Since there is no excess storage space in a Viewliner sleeper (like the luggage rack on a Superliner sleeper), the SCA puts bags in an unoccupied room or the shower room!
Whose bags are we likely talking about? No one should be bringing such huge bags into a sleeper that they have to be put in the shower room.
How about a passenger in a sleeper going to or coming from a station where there is no checked baggage service?
default_huh.png
I have no problems with storing stuff in my Viewliner roomette. My "overnight" sized suit cases can easily slide under the seats. There is a good sized storage cubby up over the hallway. Plus, I put my kid's full-size backpack in the hanger area, snaking the "seat belts" thru its frame to strap it up against the wall.

Many times, the SCA has the clean towels stacked in the changing area of the shower room and also a basket of (wrapped)bar soaps to use. There is usually a bag there to put the used towels.

While soap is provided, shampoo and conditioner normally is not. If you want to use them, you should bring your own.

There is only 1 shower per car, but generally there is not a line. I think the longest line I have had is 1! If you go back to your room and come back in 10 minutes, chances are the line will be -0-.
I have only made a couple of cross country trips but I have never had to wait for the shower. Nor was there someone waiting when I exited. I usually wait for the SCA to come to make up the room then I head to the shower. Maybe that is good timing? But then again I have never noticed people waiting for showers. Perhaps the people in my cars never showered?
default_unsure.png

Towels have always been in the shower with a bag for the used towels. . What I do is to dry myself off then use that towel to mop up any drips, then place the towel in the bag

Probably a good idea to bring along a pair of shower flip flops.

The last 2 trips I took had disposable flip flops, but I have always carried my own since I never saw those before. And I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing them all the time.

So Amtrak supplied the disposables??

Yes, they were white hard foam cutouts, on a sheet, so you "punched them out" to get the strap and you had a pair. There was a stack of them in the room. Considering that so many people end up throwing the towels on the floor to try and keep it a little dryer and cleaner to step on, I was pleasantly surprised. I'll have to wait to hear reports from others to see if this is the new normal, or if I saw the Loch Ness Monster.

I saw them on the Cap Ltd from PGH-CHI and the Texas Eagle CHI-AUS on the way home from the Gathering, but I travel with a pair of trusty All Condition Sandals so didn't need them.

BTW-The Bath Aminity Kits on the Caps are nice, I took mine home for later use since I always travel with what I need in the Showerand Bathoom on Train trips.

Yes, they were white hard foam cutouts, on a sheet, so you "punched them out" to get the strap and you had a pair. There was a stack of them in the room. Considering that so many people end up throwing the towels on the floor to try and keep it a little dryer and cleaner to step on, I was pleasantly surprised. I'll have to wait to hear reports from others to see if this is the new normal, or if I saw the Loch Ness Monster.
I've never seen them on any trip.

Perhaps a recent, fresh-and-contemporary innovation?

Frankly, to me they sound as useless and wasteful as the "amenity kit"--given that we can't count on any such thing being consistently available on Amtrak, so need to bring our own supplies anyway.

Frankly, to me they sound as useless and wasteful as the "amenity kit"--given that we can't count on any such thing being consistently available on Amtrak, so need to bring our own supplies anyway.
The disposable flip flops were part of the new meal roll out so yes it is fresh and contemporary.

The disposable flip flops were part of the new meal roll out so yes it is fresh and contemporary.
Fresh and contemporary flip-flops? Do you have a photo you could share with the rest of us?

Fresh and contemporary flip-flops? Do you have a photo you could share with the rest of us?
http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2018/07/05-a-look-at-amtraks-new-cold-meal-service

foodgallery06.jpg

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2018/07/05-a-look-at-amtraks-new-cold-meal-service

foodgallery06.jpg
I don't think I would want to be caught dead wearing those...
default_unsure.png
default_ohmy.png

Back