Sharing a sleeper between two branches

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I live in New York, and I am attending a wedding in Chicago. A friend of mine, who is probably also attending the wedding, lives in Boston. The Lake Shore Limited starts from both New York and Boston, combines at Albany, and then goes to Chicago.

Would it be possible for the two of us to share a sleeper? Could, for example, one of us book a sleeper for the whole trip, then the other book a coach seat to Albany and then switch to the sleeper? And then what about the return trip?

This is mostly a theoretical question, by the way. After looking at the price ($600), I've pretty much already decided I don't want to pay for a sleeper.

Yes, the person from Boston would have to book a coach ticket from BOS - ALB and you would need to book the sleeper from NYP - CHI. Then you could share the sleeper from ALB - CHI.

The reason it would need to be done this way, I think, is because one is not able to buy tickets on the LSL from NYP - ALB. They want you to take the empire service trains.

:hi: A random test booking for June shows a one way Adult Coach fare from Boston-Albany on the Lake Shore #449 to be $27.(The Low Bucket Roomette Price on the Lake Shore to CHI is usually $199 which is good for one or two!) Two Adults RailFare and A Roomette from NYP-CHI on the Lake Shore is between $400 and $600, so if you use Amsnag.com (developed by one of our Members)to check Fares for up to 30 days at a time, if you are flexible you can save some money! You could also ride up to Boston yourself and yall could take #449 all the way,or your Friend could come down to New York and yall could ride #49!This eliminates the Layover in ALB for your Friend if he takes #449 from BOS-ALB! Just remember the Boston Section is on the Front of the Train from ALB-CHI, the New York Section is on the Back by the Lounge and the Diner, this is a Long Train!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is possible. Just be sure to put both names on the reservation from and to NYP. (Otherwise you would have to redeem another award or buy a ticket for both of you to ALB.)

Another option is if your friend could take an earlier Regional to NYP, buy a ticket to Providence or Kingston and start the award there!
excl.gif
(IIRC, there is like an 8 or 9 AM departure out of BOS that would connect in NYP.) Thus book the award (as I said) from PVD (or KIN)-NYP-CHI WITH BOTH NAMES ON THE ENTIRE RESERVATION! And your friend would ride BC on the Regional.
cool.gif
(Buy a coach ticket for the short segment to/from BOS! The Conductor may even let you sit in BC for the 1 hour or less trip!)

I've done this, more or less. Just so you're clear on one thing: you'll both need valid rail fares for the entire trip. You should buy a New York-Chicago ticket (on the #49), and your friend should buy a Boston-Chicago ticket, riding the #449 as far as Albany and switching to the #49 in Albany. The accommodation charge is separate, and split between two people starts looking more reasonable. Remember, that would include meals for BOTH of you. You'll want to put the accommodation on your reservation. Once you've got that, and your friend has his reservation, call Amtrak customer service and explain what you're doing and that you'd like your friend "added" to your sleeper. They'll want to know his name and reservation number. Both your reservations are altered (but NOT repriced) when doing this, so don't print your tickets. Your friend will have what's called an "open ticket" (I think); his ticket will indicate that he's entitled to an accommodation but not which one. It's imperative then that you meet in Albany and that you explain to your attendant what's going on. If you do this far enough in advance both your names should be on the attendant's list.

Anyway, I know it sounds complicated but it's well worth it. I've done this probably four times now and haven't had any problems.

EDIT: changed a word for clarity.

I've done this, more or less. Just so you're clear on one thing: you'll both need valid coach fares for the entire trip.
No.

Absolutely not.

When you buy a sleeper, the "rail fare" is part of what you're being charged. He wants to get a sleeper reservation for BOS-CHI, then add the friend for the Albany-Chicago leg.

When you buy a coach ticket, you are charge the current bucket (fare) for coach seats at that time. When you buy a sleeper, you are charged the rail fare (essentially the coach fare) at the lowest bucket. Thus you could buy a coach fare at high bucket (say for $75) or a sleeper ticket with the rail fare of say $40! I myself would rather save $30 in this example!
smile.gif

I still think the suggestion given 2 posts above is the best. (And not because it's mine!
biggrin.gif
)

I've done this, more or less. Just so you're clear on one thing: you'll both need valid coach fares for the entire trip.
No.

Absolutely not.

When you buy a sleeper, the "rail fare" is part of what you're being charged. He wants to get a sleeper reservation for BOS-CHI, then add the friend for the Albany-Chicago leg.
Excuse me, I did phrase that poorly, but my point is that they both need to have valid tickets through to Chicago. I didn't meant that he, the OP, needed two tickets. The way he wrote it, it sounded like he thought his friend only needed a ticket from Boston to Albany, which is not the case. I'll edit that to say rail fare or some such, but the point stands. Getting an accommodation is ultimately a supplemental charge.

To clarify, what I was thinking of purchasing was something like:

1. roomette from New York to Albany for 1

2. coach from Boston to Albany for 1

3. roomette from Albany to Chicago for 2

Which can obviously be done as three separate tickets. But I was wondering if there was a more straightforward way of linking these together, and ensuring that the roomette in 1 and 3 be the same.

BTW the dates are not flexible since the whole purpose of the trip is to attend a wedding (which is not going to be rescheduled for us; everyone else at the wedding already thinks we're crazy for not flying). If we changed the dates on the train, it would just mean paying for more nights at a hotel.

To clarify, what I was thinking of purchasing was something like:

1. roomette from New York to Albany for 1

2. coach from Boston to Albany for 1

3. roomette from Albany to Chicago for 2

Which can obviously be done as three separate tickets. But I was wondering if there was a more straightforward way of linking these together, and ensuring that the roomette in 1 and 3 be the same.

BTW the dates are not flexible since the whole purpose of the trip is to attend a wedding (which is not going to be rescheduled for us; everyone else at the wedding already thinks we're crazy for not flying). If we changed the dates on the train, it would just mean paying for more nights at a hotel.
You can't buy a roomette from NYP to ALB for one. Arrow won't sell you a ticket like that. See my first post above. Try it online - not possible. For whatever reason, amtrak blocks off sales on the 48/49 from NYP - ALB.

You need to call and talk to an agent. I am positive that you can do this, but you'll have to call. Your friend will get an open sleeper ticket from ALB - CHI that will allow him to occupy your roomette, and he will buy a coach ticket separately from BOS - ALB.

You will need to call and book your roommette from NYP - CHI. Your friend should book coach ticket. Then call amtrak and ask to add your friend to your roomette from ALB - CHI on the open sleeper ticket.

Without knowing when you need to travel, I have to offer one additional suggestion that will (most likely) reduce the cost of your roomette by a considerable amount. Most of the time, roomette (and all sleeper accommodations for that matter) are a whole lot less on the Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited than they are on the New York section. For example:

Theoretical booking:

Sunday, April 4th, 20120

Roomette from Boston, Coach from New York

Train #49 coach from NYP to CHI, occupying roomette with buddy from Boston @ Albany: $97

Train #449 Roomette from BOS to CHI: $101 Rail Fare + $199 Roomette accommodation charge = $300

Total cost for two to Chicago: $397

Roomette from New York, Coach from Boston

Train #449 coach from BOS to CHI, occupying roomette with buddy from New York @ Albany: $101

Train #49 Roomette from NYP to CHI: $97 Rail Fare + $400 Roomette accommodation charge = $497

Total cost for two to Chicago: $598

Difference in fare for the exact same trip: $201!!!!

SO! The answer is YES, you can book the same trip for two people with different origins. AND you can save a whole lot of money if you just tweak a few little things. But you will need to book over the phone with an agent. That agent will allow you to occupy a seat on the LSL from New York if they book you all the way through to Chicago, the ticket will be "open" as stated above so that at Albany you can occupy the sleeper with your traveling partner.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back