Sharing Room / Roommate

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darryl

I will be heading out on the Empire Builder from Portland to St. Paul on Wednesday the 16th and am looking at the possibility of a room mate. The thought of having electricity for my laptop and access to showers would be nice but to book a roomette on my own is out of my budget. Is there a way to find out if someone is willing to share their room or take a room mate?

I will be heading out on the Empire Builder from Portland to St. Paul on Wednesday the 16th and am looking at the possibility of a room mate. The thought of having electricity for my laptop and access to showers would be nice but to book a roomette on my own is out of my budget. Is there a way to find out if someone is willing to share their room or take a room mate?

Try Craigslist or any train boards?

I wouldn't trust craigslist for that at the moment.
Depending upon your level of comfort with personal safety, etc., I'd absolutely put up a post on CraigsList. It's the modern equiv of classifieds, and college "Ride Boards" all wrapped up into one.

You can certainly MAKE the reservation, and as long as you don't PRINT the tickets, and CANCEL a week out, you''ll get a 100% refund, if you decide to downgrade to coach, or CANX the trip altogether.

Remember, roomettes are VERY TIGHT, so if at all possible, I'd certainly meet the individual for coffee / soda / cocktails before spending a night with them. You certainly don't need to "sit" in the roomette at all if you don't want to, I hardly ever too. I'm usually "camped out" in the SightSeer Lounge car. (SSL) I only use the roomette to crash at night.

I probably wouldn't trust Craigslist either. Even just to meet up with strangers for a drink. Having had a look through the personals those folks seem to have issues. AU has a subforum where you can post your upcoming trips. I suppose it could be used to solicit invitations for roommates among the other members if you really wanted one? In any case if I was going to invite anyone to a sleeper compartment it wouldn't be a total stranger. It would have to be a friend or family member or a love interest I was pretty familiar with. You're stuck in very close proximity for a rather extended period with few places to go if things don't work out. There are enough potential mismatches in hygiene and modesty to make me think twice anyway. That doesn't even include the slight but real potential for malicious activity. But maybe that's just me. Maybe other folks wouldn't mind sharing close quarters with relative strangers. In larger cities and metros you can sometimes find travel clubs and maybe setup something with one or more of them once you've gotten to know each other.

AU has a subforum where you can post your upcoming trips. I suppose it could be used to solicit invitations for roommates among the other members if you really wanted one?
That forum can't be seen by guests (as the OP is) and we prefer members not engage in this activity in the forum. PM contact is OK, but guests can't PM, either.

I've have (or will) only shared a sleeper with 3 "strangers" - but they were (are) those I know from here on AU!
smile.gif
(And how much more strange can you get?
mosking.gif
)

Unless I knew someone well, or like on AU for a long time, I personally would be very cautious and not do it.

I appreciate the heads up. The main reason I wanted to share a room was to have access to 110v power for my laptop and showers. From what I have read there aren't power outlets in coach. That would require an upgrade. Anyone have any suggestions on where I can plug my laptop in?

I appreciate the heads up. The main reason I wanted to share a room was to have access to 110v power for my laptop and showers. From what I have read there aren't power outlets in coach. That would require an upgrade. Anyone have any suggestions on where I can plug my laptop in?
Although there is no specific guarantee of a power outlet, many (if not most) coach and lounge cars have now been retrofitted with standard power supplies at each set of seats. Even if you happen to end up in a car that does not have power supplies there will almost certainly be some in the lounge car. If you take a power strip with you then even if none of your train's cars have been updated (highly unlikely) and all the original power jacks are in use you can simply add your device without having to permanently unplug anyone else. It's a great solution that's likely to work in any situation. No need for a sleeper if your primary concern is just the power supply.

Aloha

All coaches have power outlets, the cleaners need it for the vacuum. As best I can remember the unconverted one's had outlets at seat 19 and 55

the majority have outlets at every seat. The lounge has a duplex in the center service area which is not manned. A very good idea is to carry a multi outlet plug or strip, or even a surge protector. The access to Showers does not exist for coach passengers.

The main reason I wanted to share a room was to have access to 110v power for my laptop and showers. From what I have read there aren't power outlets in coach.
As said, most coaches have now been refurbished and have power at each row. When the cars were built 30+ years ago, not everyone had laptops/netbooks, DVD players, cell phones, GPS, etc... - thus 2 plugs per car were enough for the cleaners. Based on what I have seen, your chances that your car will have at-seat power is 90% or higher!
smile.gif

If for some reason your car does not, walk to other cars, and if you see a seat open with a plug, ask that car's attendant if you can move. (The likely answer is yes!) Then tell your original car's attendant that you are moving (so he/she knows that seat is available). I've done this the few times I've gone coach and did not have at-seat power.

But there are no showers available for coach passengers at all. If you must have a shower, you will need to pay for a sleeper.

The access to Showers does not exist for coach passengers.
&
There are no showers available for coach passengers at all. If you must have a shower, you will need to pay for a sleeper.
If Amtrak ever wanted me to quadruple my train travel all they'd have to do is provide shower access to coach passengers. They could even charge a fee for the privilege. Or they could add bring showers back to the stations. Either way I'd be much happier and be riding a lot more often. Seems like a win-win to me, but for some reason Amtrak appears to be completely against it. When NARP lobbied for coach access to showers they were told coach passengers could just clean themselves with a rag in the bathroom. Thanks, but no thanks.

Depending upon your level of comfort with personal safety, etc., I'd absolutely put up a post on CraigsList. It's the modern equiv of classifieds, and college "Ride Boards" all wrapped up into one.

You can certainly MAKE the reservation, and as long as you don't PRINT the tickets, and CANCEL a week out, you''ll get a 100% refund, if you decide to downgrade to coach, or CANX the trip altogether.

Remember, roomettes are VERY TIGHT, so if at all possible, I'd certainly meet the individual for coffee / soda / cocktails before spending a night with them. You certainly don't need to "sit" in the roomette at all if you don't want to, I hardly ever too. I'm usually "camped out" in the SightSeer Lounge car. (SSL) I only use the roomette to crash at night.
not with the string of murders going on

The access to Showers does not exist for coach passengers.
&
There are no showers available for coach passengers at all. If you must have a shower, you will need to pay for a sleeper.
If Amtrak ever wanted me to quadruple my train travel all they'd have to do is provide shower access to coach passengers. They could even charge a fee for the privilege. Or they could add bring showers back to the stations. Either way I'd be much happier and be riding a lot more often. Seems like a win-win to me, but for some reason Amtrak appears to be completely against it. When NARP lobbied for coach access to showers they were told coach passengers could just clean themselves with a rag in the bathroom. Thanks, but no thanks.
If you think the coach bathrooms are dirty (especially on an Eastern LD train), could you imagine what the showers would look like?
ohmy.gif
Shutter the thought!
ohmy.gif

It's true that there are folks who may attempt to scam or otherwise harm or humiliate you, but statistically it's exceptionally rare to bump into a determined murderer through a simple craigslist ad. Mild mental problems and lack of proper education appear to be extremely common, but I wouldn't expect to be killed just because I met up with someone from CL.

If you think the coach bathrooms are dirty (especially on an Eastern LD train), could you imagine what the showers would look like? Shutter the thought!
I have two responses to that.

1. Put the showers in the stations. Oh, wait, I already said that.

2. Amtrak can take the additional revenue from shower service fees and pay their staff to actually CLEAN the showers when they get dirty.

Take your pick, I would be happy with either. I really don't understand the never ending desire to keep coach passengers out of the showers. It's not even a money making issue when you consider how many sleeper trains sell out of their entire stock of compartments, leaving no showers for late purchasers any price. I understand that either solution would require some extra work from service and maintenance staff, but it might fill up those coach seats when all the sleepers are long gone. Personally I'd rather everyone was able to get cleaned up for dinner so we could enjoy each others company without any fear of completely unnecessary odors.

When I originally thought about booking Amtrak for this 3 day journey, I was concerned about not having access to showers. Depending on how I feel when I arrive in MSP will help me decide if I book Amtrak next time.

Its good to know the odds are good I will find electricity for my laptop. When I called Amtrak Customer Service, they told me the only outlets were in the roomettes.

Glad I found this forum.

Thanks guys.

For what it's worth, sharing sleeping compartments is common outside the US. On the Moscow to St. Petersburg sleepers, I was in a 4-bed compartment with a friend. The other two bunks were other passengers. They don't even separate by gender; we had two women in the cabin on one leg.

For someone intent on doing Bad Things, a train ride isn't really ideal. It's a substantial investment for the sleeper ticket, plus there's nowhere to escape to.

When I originally thought about booking Amtrak for this 3 day journey, I was concerned about not having access to showers. Depending on how I feel when I arrive in MSP will help me decide if I book Amtrak next time. Its good to know the odds are good I will find electricity for my laptop. When I called Amtrak Customer Service, they told me the only outlets were in the roomettes.
Showers on the train are great for overnight journeys. If you find that coach class doesn't cut it then try the roomette on your next journey. If anything goes horribly wrong call and demand a voucher. Even if you never intend to use it the voucher creates a paper trail that will hopefully help push the managers to address poorly performing staff to improve or find other work.

For someone intent on doing Bad Things, a train ride isn't really ideal. It's a substantial investment for the sleeper ticket, plus there's nowhere to escape to.
I agree with you. Nevertheless, during the time I've been on AU I've noticed multiple stories of people "accidentally" falling from the train to their deaths while the police simply shrug and assume it was just pure chance. Even when they do suspect foul play they don't seem to have a great record of finding the perpetrator. Heck, they seem to have difficulty even determining who should be in charge of what. When you consider how many millions of passengers ride Amtrak without incident it's obvious that getting thrown off the train isn't common enough for average folks to worry about, but it certainly isn't an impossible crime from the looks of it.

I wonder if Couch Surfing has space for people wishing to share a bedroom on a train... Couch Surfing tends to be more reliable & safer then Craigs List. (especially over seas, where they are less paranoid then us.)

peter

It's true that there are folks who may attempt to scam or otherwise harm or humiliate you, but statistically it's exceptionally rare to bump into a determined murderer through a simple craigslist ad. Mild mental problems and lack of proper education appear to be extremely common, but I wouldn't expect to be killed just because I met up with someone from CL.

If you think the coach bathrooms are dirty (especially on an Eastern LD train), could you imagine what the showers would look like? Shutter the thought!
I have two responses to that.

1. Put the showers in the stations. Oh, wait, I already said that.

2. Amtrak can take the additional revenue from shower service fees and pay their staff to actually CLEAN the showers when they get dirty.

Take your pick, I would be happy with either. I really don't understand the never ending desire to keep coach passengers out of the showers. It's not even a money making issue when you consider how many sleeper trains sell out of their entire stock of compartments, leaving no showers for late purchasers any price. I understand that either solution would require some extra work from service and maintenance staff, but it might fill up those coach seats when all the sleepers are long gone. Personally I'd rather everyone was able to get cleaned up for dinner so we could enjoy each others company without any fear of completely unnecessary odors.
Acces to the showers is one of the primary benefits of booking a sleeper and I see no reason to allow coach passengers to use the facilities. Who is going to control who has access at specific times of the day? When you book a first class ticket on a plane, you assume you are not going to have to use one of the coach bathrooms, but have access to the first class bathroom, which is closer to your seat. It is not a "class issues", but the fact taht you have paid for the privilege of having access to something the coach passengers don't have. As a sleeping car passenger, I assume there will be controlled access to my car and I really don't want coach passengers - who knows how many - walking through my car. I have had to wait to get access to the shower with other sleeping car passengers and I see no reason to increase the number of people using the facility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Acces to the showers is one of the primary benefits of booking a sleeper and I see no reason to allow coach passengers to use the facilities.
Here are two reasons you may have missed.

1. More revenue for Amtrak. The sleeper compartments on the trains I ride sell out on a regular basis. Coach almost never sells out. Non-existant sleeper tickets combined with zero-access coach seats often leaves me and other folks with fewer options for riding Amtrak. If showers were available to coach passengers Amtrak could potentially make additional revenue from increased coach ticket sales to folks like me and/or from shower related surcharges. Some of that additional revenue could be used for improved cleaning schedules to address the additional use. It's a win-win for everyone involved.

2. Cleaner facilities for everyone. You can't control who you sit with or who sat in the seat before you. Would you rather the filth of several day's worth of sweat and grime end up down the shower drain or on your lounge seat and table? It doesn't even need to be in the sleeper car. It could be in a modified coach car or lounge car for all I care. It could even be in a modified baggage car if Amtrak could find a way to make that work. And of course the stations themselves could bring back rented shower rooms as well. Narita airport serves as a hub for Asian airline travel and charges 500円 (about $5) for 30 minutes use of an immaculately maintained shower room. The airport administrators understood that giving passengers a cheap and efficient method for cleaning up after a long trip in a coach seat benefits everyone, including their service staff and cleaning crews. Again, it's a win-win.

Who is going to control who has access at specific times of the day?
The same people who currently control access. Ideally you'd be able to schedule a shower time shortly after boarding or when you reserve by phone or web site before your trip.

When you book a first class ticket on a plane, you assume you are not going to have to use one of the coach bathrooms, but have access to the first class bathroom, which is closer to your seat.
How will this force anyone in a sleeper to use a bathroom in a coach car? Even if Amtrak used the showers in the sleeper cars the sleeper passengers would get priority and the shower would be cleaned more often from additional revenues and/or direct surcharges. If sleeper folks have to wait more than a few extra minutes for the shower to become available then the plan I'm proposing isn't being followed.

It is not a "class issues", but the fact taht you have paid for the privilege of having access to something the coach passengers don't have.
I can't reserve a room for any given date eleven months in advance like some folks can. When I need to buy a specific train for a specific date a couple weeks or even a couple months out and every sleeper compartment is already long gone Amtrak ends up losing money and I end up losing out on another train ride. Nobody benefits from that outcome.

As a sleeping car passenger, I assume there will be controlled access to my car and I really don't want coach passengers - who knows how many - walking through my car.
So, basically, it is a class issue? Never mind that the same folks who ride coach also ride sleepers as reservations and budgets permit. If you want true exclusivity then go rent a private car. Otherwise you're really no different from any of the rest of us sitting next to you in the lounge and diner. Seriously.

I have had to wait to get access to the shower with other sleeping car passengers and I s the see no reason to increase the number of people using the facility.
When you've had to wait days to get access to a shower then feel free to let me know about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak can take the additional revenue from shower service fees and pay their staff to actually CLEAN the showers when they get dirty.
So you're saying that Amtrak should hire a ShA (Shower Attendant) whose ONLY job is to sit by the shower and clean it after EVERY coach passenger using the shower?
huh.gif
BTW - It is in the CA (car attendant) duties to clean the bathrooms when he/she finds time. But with 70+ passengers per car, he/she may not find time as often as you like. (And I admit, some may be lazy and not do it anyway)

And would it also be the ShA's duty to collect the fee and distribute the towels to those that pay?
huh.gif

Based on the number of post that Craig's List has, I'd hardly call it a "String".

Beside, Amtrak is one of only a few railroads worldwide that don't combine passengers in sleeping compartments, people who don't know each other, but are willing to pay a few dollars more for a flat bed, but not a ton more for a truly private room.

Would I advise my daughter, wife, or younger son to do this? No way. Would I do it? In a heartbeat.

Amtrak can take the additional revenue from shower service fees and pay their staff to actually CLEAN the showers when they get dirty.
So you're saying that Amtrak should hire a ShA (Shower Attendant) whose ONLY job is to sit by the shower and clean it after EVERY coach passenger using the shower?
There would be no exclusive shower cleaner sitting around waiting for something to do. The attendant already staffing the car would handle the on-board cleanings with station based maintenance staff handling the water/effluent and heavy duty cleanings.

BTW - It is in the CA (car attendant) duties to clean the bathrooms when he/she finds time. But with 70+ passengers per car, he/she may not find time as often as you like. (And I admit, some may be lazy and not do it anyway)
Dirty showers and toilets should result in vouchers. Vouchers should result in disciplinary action. Repeated failures to perform to job expectations should result in additional training or reassignment to remedial work details.

And would it also be the ShA's duty to collect the fee and distribute the towels to those that pay?
I envision something like a shower pass sold in the lounge. Presumably they'd have a list of available time slots. It would also be a free option for sleeper passengers to choose their preferred times while booking their room. Something like that.

Who is going to control who has access at specific times of the day?
The same people who currently control access. Ideally you'd be able to schedule a shower time shortly after boarding or when you reserve by phone or web site before your trip.
I hate to tell you but NOBODY schedules shower time in sleepers!
rolleyes.gif
It's first come - first served. Most times I get right in - even at "rush hour" - 7 or 8 AM! I think the longest "line" I had was 1 person - who was just getting out!
blink.gif

I have had to wait to get access to the shower with other sleeping car passengers and I s the see no reason to increase the number of people using the facility.
When you've had to wait days to get access to a shower then feel free to let me know about it.
Remember that in the 1960's and prior, there was only 1 shower on the train - and that was in the MOST EXPENSIVE ROOM for use by that room only! No other sleeper passenger or coach passenger has use of a shower for days on end - and they still survived!
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back