Sheldon Silver and Moynihan Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe a loop track is what they have at MIA - it runs completely around the Miami Amtrak station complex. Arriving trains pull straight in to the station, then back out and run around the loop track to change direction, then back in to the station when ready to load up for the run northbound. Sitting at the station watching the train running around the loop kinda reminds you of watching somebody's basement model train track.

You are correct Joe, they do have a loop in Miami. Many times loop tracks are more space effective than wyes because you have to be able to fit the entire train on to the wye, whereas with a loop you can leave from one yard track and come back out on another. The speeds on loops are generally slow, but they are also usually within yard or terminal limits, so speed's not exactly a big concern. Another example would also be the Monorail at Disney (within EPCOT), however Disney makes the loop part of the route. Man am I looking forward to spending time with that thing in the spring.

I suppose that MN doesn't really need this loop track for much since the vast majority of trains using GCT are multiple units anyway? These don't really have a front or back, do they? I suppose one of the two NY lines uses diesel-electric locomotives though, right? This is what the loop track must be for (or do they just operate these with a cab car one way)?

I suppose that MN doesn't really need this loop track for much since the vast majority of trains using GCT are multiple units anyway? These don't really have a front or back, do they? I suppose one of the two NY lines uses diesel-electric locomotives though, right? This is what the loop track must be for (or do they just operate these with a cab car one way)?
They have cab cars on the diesel hauled trains, so everything is push-pull. Dutch said that they use the loop to access the yard on the east end of GCT.

And just to add to the list of loops, Sunnyside Yard also has a loop track.

Regarding the loop track at GCT are we sure they are still in existance? I have read somewhere (I think in a book I have on Grand Central) that the loop tracks have been abandoned and in some cases (I think there are two loop tracks per level--an inner and outer loop on the upper and lower levels) the tracks have been taken out. Anyone know anything about this?

Regarding the ESA--so this is really happening right now? Wow. That will be a big help to Penn Station during rush hour.

Regarding the loop track at GCT are we sure they are still in existance? I have read somewhere (I think in a book I have on Grand Central) that the loop tracks have been abandoned and in some cases (I think there are two loop tracks per level--an inner and outer loop on the upper and lower levels) the tracks have been taken out. Anyone know anything about this?
Regarding the ESA--so this is really happening right now? Wow. That will be a big help to Penn Station during rush hour.
From what I've seen on this forum and other forums, if Dutchrailnut says it's so, so it is.

As for the ESA, I believe they just selected contractors to bore the tunnel(s) last month. It looks like very much like it's happening, unless this goes the way of the 2nd Ave subway. See http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/capconstr/esas/index.html for details. Speaking of the 2nd ave subway, the ESA will give this project even more emphasis as you will have hundreds of thousands of Long Islanders riding the already over-crowded Lex. line.

Speaking of the 2nd ave subway, the ESA will give this project even more emphasis as you will have hundreds of thousands of Long Islanders riding the already over-crowded Lex. line.
Ooops, I meant 'impetus' not 'emphasis.' You probably figured this out anyhow.

NNgo, I really would encourage you to join as a member on this forum. You can see topics that have been replied to since your last visit, add an avatar, and be able to edit your posts. We don't bite, I swear!

The loop tracks are still in use, only loop track no longer used is lower level inside loop.

That loop was not fit for 85 foot cars so it has been removed.

And yes I am sure, as locomotive Engineer for Metro North I have used them in last month.

lower level inside loop.That loop was not fit for 85 foot cars so it has been removed.
Aloha

Some ## years Ago when I was 17 I watched NH use the loops for their trains. Always wonderd about the clearence. Seemed a bug on the side of the car would get squashed. As we got off and walked forward the train would proceed around the loop. I dont rember the length of those cars though.

Mahalo

The loop tracks are still in use, only loop track no longer used is lower level inside loop.That loop was not fit for 85 foot cars so it has been removed.

And yes I am sure, as locomotive Engineer for Metro North I have used them in last month.
After they removed the inside loop, did they shift the outside loop in any, or are there columns or a wall between the to loop tracks? Reason I ask, is that for the standard 85'0" passenger car with 59'6" truck centers, the outside swing of the ends and the inside swing of the middle are close to equal with the outside swing being slightly smaller. By the way, for an 85 foot car, the 85 feet is the length over couplers. The body length which you should use to find the end swing is 82'-6" for most cases. Don't know what the curvature of the loop is, but for a 15 degree curve, the inside swing of the middle is 13 7/8 inches and the outside swing of the end is a hair over 12 3/4 inches. If the curvature is over 15 degrees, getting an 85 foot long car around it at all could be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back