Shoebuy.com for the win....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike S.

Service Attendant
Well, not until the points post.

I needed to buy a bunch of shoes for working out and work. Spent 400 bucks and shoebuy give 14 points per dollar! 5,600 points!

Mike S.

I work for a major parcel delivery company that I must wear black polishable leather shoes so I always purchase my Rockport tennis shoes from them. From time to time they have "double points" so I used to snag 22 points per dollar. I pretty much go through 4 pairs of shoes each year and then get to write them off on my taxes as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unreimbursed business expense?

He's required to have the shoes, but the employer does not pay for them.

Unreimbursed business expense? He's required to have the shoes, but the employer does not pay for them.
I know you can expense special-purpose clothes like a fireman's uniform or a hazardous materials suit, but that doesn't sound like what he's describing here.
He works for UPS, and is required to wear a certain uniform by his employer - and shoes are part of the uniform! (How many people do you see walking around town, going to the mall or going to church in their UPS uniform?
huh.gif
No offense, Al.
smile.gif
)

Just like if he were a doctor or nurse and the employer required you to wear special uniform and did not reimburse you for them, you could write them off on your tax return as an itemized deduction (subject to above 2% of your AGI).

He works for UPS, and is required to wear a certain uniform by his employer - and shoes are part of the uniform!
I'm not disputing any of that. I'm simply asking where in the US tax code does it say you can expense conventional uniforms?
IRS Publication 529: Work clothes and uniforms if required and not suitable for everyday use are deductible as employee business expenses.

I certainly stand corrected. In fact delivery workers are specifically listed in the directive governing the deduction. My own closet full of Rockports is not covered though. :(

Uh oh, this is gonna be trouble for me....I have an addiction for shoes, and purses, and all of the lovely things at shoebuy....

Back