Short upcoming trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penfrydd

Service Attendant
Planning a round trip from Brattleboro, VT to NYP and back. Questions:

1. If I want to use points, do I have to do it way in advance?

2. Can I use points to purchase a business class seat, or do points automatically put you in coach and then business is an upgrade. If so, it's not worth it for this trip.

Thanks

1. If there is a seat on the train, you can get it on points at any time.

2. No, you can book a coach seat or business class seat on points. There's no "crossing the streams" with points and upgrades.

IMO, an award trip from Brattleboro to NYP is not worth it, especially if there is more than 1 passenger. Unless you have an excess of points you want to get rid off, or if you can't afford the fare for the trip and you have to be there!

A trip is either 4,000 in coach or 6,500 points in BC EACH WAY and PER PERSON! So it would cost 8,000 points or 13,000 round trip per person. If 2 are traveling, it's 16,000 or 26,000 points for the trip. For that amount, you could go to say to Miami or Atlanta in either a bedroom or Roomette with a bed and all meals for both for LESS! (Plus you will get BC to either NYP or WAS.) Or you can go to ELP, ABQ, DEN or WPT in a Roomette for 2 in a Roomette for less than the above BC cost or a little more than the above coach cost.

But the choice is totally your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back