Should Amtrak pay taxes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Amtrak pay taxes

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats kind of a crazy question. Amtrak is a quasi-goverment company (like the post office). Why would a company that receives a goverment subsidy give some of the money back in taxes.....

amtrak_flyer said:
Thats kind of a crazy question. Amtrak is a quasi-goverment company (like the post office). Why would a company that receives a goverment subsidy give some of the money back in taxes.....
Actually it's not really all that crazy. Consider for example:

All Amtrak employees and postal employees pay income tax. Amtrak also pays the diesel fuel tax and I believe that they pay some property taxes for certain train stations.

Also consider that you go on unemployment because you loose your job. You collect a check from the government to help you survive until you can find a new job. Yet you have to pay regular income taxes on the money that you collect from unemployment. So in effect the government paid you money only to turn around and tax it. That's crazy! :eek: After all you don't have a job, you need every penny you can scrape together.

Personally I don’t think that Amtrak should pay corporate income tax, especially since they never will make a profit. I also don’t think that they should pay property taxes on stations or the few tracks that they own. However, I think that the states should be given credit for those unpaid taxes towards their contributions to Amtrak.

Finally Amtrak should not be paying the diesel surcharge, unless the feds are going to guarantee that the money will go right back into improvements for our nations rail system. In fact I think that all the monies that the freight RR’s pay for the diesel surcharge should also be put back into rail improvements. It shouldn’t be free money for the feds.

I think it's best asked in what context. Reason being is quasi-public corporations and public agencies (MTA in MY) pay property tax either the actual tax on their facilities or a PILOT (payment in lieu of taxes) on the land they own for track, facilities and stations. Amtrak probably pays tax on what they own in New York State namely the NEC in NYC, and Penn Station and Sunnyside Yard which would go to NYC the local taxing authority.

Do I think they should pay property tax I have mixed feelings on that as they should to lower the burden on people who own single family residential property, but then I don't because the postal service does not have to pay property tax on their buildings so I can see both sides of the issue here. Another concern is what would the cost savings to Amtrak be of not having them pay.

As for giving the states a credit for unpaid taxes would put an undue burden on Amtrak as the states per se never see the property tax money at all as it goes to the local taxing authority (cities, counties, etc.) and never makes it to state coffers. Unless the savings filters down to the local taxing authority then should the states be allowed to reap the benefit of rebates for unpaid taxes.

After some rereading and a consultation with an authority on NY State Real Property Tax Law, I have learned that the MTA does not pay property taxes on their tracks or on stations or other property they own, however it is listed on the tax map but only for use as a point of reference.

The US Postal Service does not pay property taxes in NY on any property they own outright. However, the federal government and its agencies and assigns do pay property taxes on properties they lease. Thus, most likely Amtrak does not pay property taxes to NYC for the NEC, Sunnyside Yard, or Penn Station.

Private railroads do however pay taxes on their property in NY so CSX, NS and CN would pay taxes on whatever property they own in NY. Sorry for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back