Should I wait to see if it gets discounted..

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dn4192

Service Attendant
I will be buying a multi ticket for my return trip from NJ in Aug. I am planning on taking the Penn out of Trenton to Pitts, then catch the CL into chicago and then take the Hoosier/Cardinal from Chicago to Indy. Right now I have priced it out using my AAA discount, but see that weekly Amtrak offers "weekly" specials of up to 25% off. So since my trip isn't till Aug 15 should I give it a few weeks and see if one of the routes I take come up avaialble on the weekly discount or just go with the 10% I am getting now?

I will be buying a multi ticket for my return trip from NJ in Aug. I am planning on taking the Penn out of Trenton to Pitts, then catch the CL into chicago and then take the Hoosier/Cardinal from Chicago to Indy. Right now I have priced it out using my AAA discount, but see that weekly Amtrak offers "weekly" specials of up to 25% off. So since my trip isn't till Aug 15 should I give it a few weeks and see if one of the routes I take come up avaialble on the weekly discount or just go with the 10% I am getting now?
You can get a full refund any time before the train departs, so if you can buy it now, I would just go ahead and do so now. Then if a better discount comes along, you can get a refund and then buy the ticket with the discount.

You can get a full refund any time before the train departs, so if you can buy it now, I would just go ahead and do so now. Then if a better discount comes along, you can get a refund and then buy the ticket with the discount.
How long does it take refunds to post back to your bank acc't with Amtrak? I know the company I work with refunds take up to about 8 weeks...

Yep, refunds take around a half-week to a week. Had to rebook my Empire Builder ticket because a special AAA promotion came up on one of the two tickets.

Oddly, though, the old itinerary still shows up in my account. If I try to pull it up, it errors out, though.

Make sure that you buy ticket and then cancel it. If you cancel first and then the agent quote you a price which is higher...
Or worse yet is if you cancel first and then go back to book - and 2 people have taken your previous reservation AND the last seat/room, and there are no more seats/rooms on the train!
ohmy.gif
ALWAYS reserve the new reservation BEFORE you cancel the old reservation!
excl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back