Shower room pigs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the SCA's job is to keep the car tidy. That includes the restrooms and the shower. Some do it better than others. But there is no way they can do it after each use. And it only takes one sloppy, uncaring pig to make one disgusting. And don't get me going on the type of kids you see on youtube flushing a whole roll of tp down an airliner's toilet - may they be stricken with diarrhoea later on that flight.

I make my own bed and lower / raise my own berths. I can do these on my own as well as cleaning the shower after I use it. I'd rather the SCA help people that need the help and keep the common areas clean, keep the ice/coffee/juice/towels stocked AND keep me advised of smoke stops.

While I expect some service for the rates I pay, I'm on the train because I love the train, not to have someone at my beck and call.

To those of you that raise your own beds/bunks....

What do you do with the linens?

I always thought that they remade the beds with fresh linens for the next day/turnaround.

Do you just fold your mattress and the linens up and put it back on the top bunk?

I'd prefer to put my own bunk down when I was ready but I've been made to feel like this is frowned upon.

I really hate coming back from dinner and having to hang out in the bed.

I travelled in a roomette for the first time last week. In the morning we wanted to "hang out" in the room for a while before going to the diner for breakfast. I began to straighten up the sheets and blanket prior to folding the top bunk up. The car attendant (who was in the room across the hall from us) noticed what I was doing and asked me to stop, informing me that he would do it himself. He also didn't want me serving my own coffee and juice. I felt a little stupid just standing around watching, as I'm perfectly capable. But oh well, I figured he knows how he likes things so I let him do it.

Nevertheless, it was an awesome experience and I hope to travel in a roomette again soon.

If it's not the SCA's job to keep the restrooms and showers reasonably clean, whose job is it?
How about each passenger? Or should every passenger make a mess and leave it?

To those of you that raise your own beds/bunks....
What do you do with the linens?

I always thought that they remade the beds with fresh linens for the next day/turnaround.

Do you just fold your mattress and the linens up and put it back on the top bunk?
This answer is more for a 2 or 3 night trip. The linens are changed for a new passenger en-route or at the end points. If the same passenger occupies the room for all nights of the trip, the mattress is just folded up and put on the top bunk. I believe the SCA may re-make the bed, but the same linens/blankets are used.

If it's not the SCA's job to keep the restrooms and showers reasonably clean, whose job is it?
Of course, passengers should not make a mess in the shower room. But, out of twenty, thirty or more passengers, the odds are someone will. In that case, the SCA is responsible to clean it up. That is part of the job description. I'm not paying Amtrak sleeper fares (either dollars or points) to then have to clean showers and toilets myself.

traveler-- No, of course passengers shouldn't make messes. No one is saying that. But when facilities are used, they will require some regular cleaning. (Think about a bathroom at home. Someone "cleans" it periodically--and that would be me, at my house.)

Cleaning up after myself is one thing; cleaning an already dirty or messy restroom or shower is another. As PRR said, that's the SCA's responsibility, not the passenger's. That's all we're saying.

Edit to add: I've even cleaned up public restrooms a little--wipe off the counter with a paper towel, picked up paper towels with a paper towel, etc. But there's certainly a limit to what I'm willing to clean up. If the restroom stays dirty for some time, it needs more attention from an employee.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd prefer to put my own bunk down when I was ready but I've been made to feel like this is frowned upon.

I really hate coming back from dinner and having to hang out in the bed.
On at least one occasion I had an attendant do that to me while at dinner. I returned the seats to their full upright position and put the beds away until I was ready for them.

Of course, passengers should not make a mess in the shower room. But, out of twenty, thirty or more passengers, the odds are someone will. In that case, the SCA is responsible to clean it up. That is part of the job description. I'm not paying Amtrak sleeper fares (either dollars or points) to then have to clean showers and toilets myself.
Agreed PRR60, it is the SCA's job to deal with the shower. It is written right in the employee manual in fact. It's getting all of the employees to actually obey the rules that is the problem. Some do, some don't.

That said, as noted by others, it only takes one messy person to ruin things for everyone. And the SCA can't spend their entire day just cleaning the shower either. They do have dozens of other duties. Therefore one's perception of how well the SCA cleans the shower can be colored by the various on-going events that occupy their time, and whether one showered before or after the pig.

They were in their full upright position, Alan, but did you also put your tray table up in it's locked position, turn off all electrical devices and fasten your seat belt? :p Oh yeah, you don't do that on trains. :giggle: Never mind!

I travelled in a roomette for the first time last week. In the morning we wanted to "hang out" in the room for a while before going to the diner for breakfast. I began to straighten up the sheets and blanket prior to folding the top bunk up. The car attendant (who was in the room across the hall from us) noticed what I was doing and asked me to stop, informing me that he would do it himself. He also didn't want me serving my own coffee and juice. I felt a little stupid just standing around watching, as I'm perfectly capable. But oh well, I figured he knows how he likes things so I let him do it.
Nevertheless, it was an awesome experience and I hope to travel in a roomette again soon.
Sounds like a good SCA who puts service first. Considering what a sleeper, even a roomette costs, its nice to have them do the beds and do the coffee and juice, although beverages I have no problem doing. The beds, I prefer them to do it and put their Amtrak touch on them. When I took SWC3 I had a horrible attendant who had to be dug out of his room to help anyone in my car. I was in the transdorm then so we had to schlep back a car for coffee, water, towels, etc because he had two cars to deal with. My tipping hand disappeared on that trip. On SSLTD 1 & 2 both SCAs would make the bed up for me in the evening when I was ready and the cover was nicely folded back on an angle to make getting in bed easier and the pillows placed perfectly. When I returned from breakfast the bed was put away and the pillows placed perfectly so I had it to rest my head during the day and not have it against the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back