sightseer cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would expect Amtrak to control the lounge car in a similar way.
Therein lies the problem - Amtrak doesn't control it all the time.
Yep,I would also add that it seems to differ from train to train, example on the Empire Builder they frown upon sleeping in the lounge car night (at least the times I've ridden it anyway), but on the Capitol Limited they really seemed to care less what the passengers did.

Harken back to October 2006, fantastic rail sale from Amtrak. I went from LNK-WIP for $71 RT. Stayed at a hostel in Winter Park. When the #6 was arriving into WIP it was like 12 hours late. WIP has an unstaffed station, WIP is kinda in the middle of nowhere. I board at 1:00am or something super late and then get up the next morning and think I have gotten a ticket on a train where the let everyone out of the asylum. The prices were so cheap that hitchikers who sell plasma or folks who take Greyhound have "upgraded". The Lounge Sleeper (I didn't call it a lounge car on this trip, it had people and all their possessions laying all over the place) looked like a big slumber party. It was to this day the oddest trip that I have taken on Amtrak.

On another occasion, a tour group (who really got on my nerves) pretty much invaded the Sightseer Lounge car, took every seat and NEVER moved! I hardly got to sit in the Lounge car because of this group. One person sat in there the entire day and never moved once. Don't know if they have a huge bladder or what. I have encountered problems with the lounge car because I take the CZ quite a bit. One of my most memorable times in the Lounge Car was heading to LA, there was a "jam" session with a guy and his guitar. About 15 of us sat an sang tunes most of the later part of the evening (9pm or so) it was real impromtu and alot of fun. It was old passengers, young, middle aged and it was people of all races. Some even from Britain.

Possibly, the lounge should be reserved exclusively for sleeper passengers? At least sleeper passengers have private rooms for the night (back to my hotel analogy), and tend to have more courtesy toward their fellow sleeper passengers.

Possibly, the lounge should be reserved exclusively for sleeper passengers? At least sleeper passengers have private rooms for the night (back to my hotel analogy), and tend to have more courtesy toward their fellow sleeper passengers.
Isn't this really the purpose of something like the Pacific Parlor Car? I don't think it would be wise to start cutting further services from coach passengers - I don't think that Amtrak should be catering almost exclusively to those that can afford sleepers. However, I would absolutely love to see more first class lounges on other routes.

Ah yes, pre Amtrak first class usually included at the very least a first class lounge. After the train became totally open to all, it has become a zoo on wheels at times. Normally most everyone is sensible about it. But as mentioned in this world where most think nothing of disturbing others or taking unfair advantage it has become problematic. I know that world is gone for good, and perhaps for the best, but looking at those old train ads where even in coach the passengers are all dressed in suits and dresses and looking like the cleavers. Now other than not having the competition of coach if we did have a first class diner, or lounges, you wouldn't know which cars they were riding in thats for sure. I see no reason why a part revenue and part lounge car for first class could not be added to a consist. It wouldn't have to be a staffed car, just a nice area with large sofas or swivel seats like the PPC uses where first class passengers could relax away from the crowds. It would be too much to hope for, due to switching considerations no doubt, but a fan tail set up at the rear of a say, all roomette section would be terrific.

Wow, this is the first thread where I gotta disagree with alot of responses. I'm one who just CANNOT sleep in a chair. No matter how hard I try, I can't. How do I sleep if I don't have funds for a roomette? I think that during the hours of 12 - 4 in the morning people should be allowed to sleep in the SSL. What are people going to be looking at between those hours?

After those hours I think passengers that are awake should have the rightaway... until then I don't think it's fair to complain. Some of us just CANNOT sleep upright.

Wow, this is the first thread where I gotta disagree with alot of responses. I'm one who just CANNOT sleep in a chair. No matter how hard I try, I can't. How do I sleep if I don't have funds for a roomette? I think that during the hours of 12 - 4 in the morning people should be allowed to sleep in the SSL. What are people going to be looking at between those hours?
After those hours I think passengers that are awake should have the rightaway... until then I don't think it's fair to complain. Some of us just CANNOT sleep upright.
Your not going to want to ride the City of New Orleans or the Capitol if they have taken off the lounge then? While I sympathize with your sleeping issues, the lounge is not made for that purpose. I have seen lots of those people who do that who also never leave during the day and often take up three seats even in the day time with luggage or sprawled out across the chairs. I used to go overnight coach way back, and I never slept more than an hour or two myself. But then I really didn't expect it would be sleeping in a chair car in the first place. Funny I could sleep for hours in a recliner which is not much different.

Isn't it still true that some routes or perhaps conductors still announce that the lounge is closed after midnight or something like that? I can recall that announcement while traveling?

What are people going to be looking at between those hours?
Some of the best viewing is at night when there is a full moon or when you can see cities come into view - the views can be quite brilliantly lit by all their different types of lights.

I can remember coming into Denver on a very late CZ and as we came down off the mountain the view of Denver was magnificent.

I think that during the hours of 12 - 4 in the morning people should be allowed to sleep in the SSL.
So you're saying that if I see someone at 11:59 or 4:01 sleeping, I have every right to wake them up! :huh: :rolleyes: And when they complain, I'll say "inspiration100 said it was OK"! :D

What are people going to be looking at between those hours?
As MrFSS said, I sometimes like to just sit there to see the lights or stars. And sometimes, if I wake up during the night, I may want to just go to the lounge and maybe read without turning on the light and disturbing the other 50+ people in the car sleeping! :rolleyes:

...As MrFSS said, I sometimes like to just sit there to see the lights or stars. And sometimes, if I wake up during the night, I may want to just go to the lounge and maybe read without turning on the light and disturbing the other 50+ people in the car sleeping! :rolleyes:
Gee, I'd love to do that if the Sightseer at night did not resemble a homeless shelter. The situation with the Sightseer Lounge Cars is not one of Amtrak's finest attributes.

well then I am not going to say sorry when I step on you because I was trying to walk through the car and you were sleeping on the floor.

I agree with you that folks awake at those hours should have the right of way. So, get all the the legs & feet out of the aisles, butts of the seats and go to the space you were assigned to!

RF

Aloha

Seems I have been lucky as on any Lounge I have been in there was always a seat, not always the best, and the crews never let anyone hold seats or occupy more than one seat. Once one sleeper got away with it for a while until the conductor noticed who woke him by kicking his feet insisting he occupy one seat, either the one he was assigned or only one in lounge

I don't see why people sleeping in the lounge car at night is really a problem (there may be some safety issues I guess)
Yes, it could be a safety problem, when you're walking through at 1 or 2 in the morning, and you have to climb over the feet sticking in the aisle from those sleeping on the floor. It is also a problem when you go to the Sightseer at 5 AM (or even 6:30 AM on your way to breakfast), and can not find a seat because of all those who take 2 or 3 seats "to stretch out" while sleeping!

there may be any number of reasons why a person would want to be in the sightseer car at any hour of the day or night, maybe a city slicker is just dazzled by the stars, be that as it may, there is no reason for anyone to occupy more than one seat, and that should be enforced.

Bob

..Gee, I'd love to do that if the Sightseer at night did not resemble a homeless shelter. The situation with the Sightseer Lounge Cars is not one of Amtrak's finest attributes.
I have to reluctantly agree....when we traveled the SWC two years ago, that's exactly what came to mind during the nighttime in the Sightseer....homeless shelter.

..Gee, I'd love to do that if the Sightseer at night did not resemble a homeless shelter. The situation with the Sightseer Lounge Cars is not one of Amtrak's finest attributes.
I have to reluctantly agree....when we traveled the SWC two years ago, that's exactly what came to mind during the nighttime in the Sightseer....homeless shelter.
I have to agree too.... the term "homeless shelter" seems to be the most accurate one I have read anywhere.

About 15 years back I took the SWC and they were allowing people to sleep at night in the lounge. A few people had sleeping bags and were doing pretty good. The next time I took it they would not allow people to lay on the floor at night. I took it last year but I didn't go into the lounge late at night. IMO they shouldn't allow sleeping on the floor or across the seats in the lounge. It's not a flophouse.

I never take an overnight train without a room.

I had friends who took the EB a year ago and they said there were a couple of ladies of the evening working the Sightseer overnight. they'd solicit "customers" then take them to a sleeper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had friends who took the EB a year ago and they said there were a couple of ladies of the evening working the Sightseer overnight. they'd solicit "customers" then take them to a sleeper.
Now Amtrak's "cookin with gas" ! :p

Stimulus Package ? can't help it :D

Are you serious? I knew I should have spent more time in the lounge. ;)

well then I am not going to say sorry when I step on you because I was trying to walk through the car and you were sleeping on the floor.
Haha, no, I'm the one who is just up all night on my chair trying to be proper when really I should not be...

Maybe every trip we see a "homeless shelter" lounge car we should complain to Amtrak management. Sooner or later they might get the message.

I complained about the last flophouse on rails but never got a response.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back