Sightseer Lounge on Surfliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where are we hearing more lounges will go away? Loosing it on the SWC and CS would be insane, asinine (inset your own adjective). I can believe it though. Now that Coscia will remain I can only imagine Gardner being emboldened in his underhanded destruction of the network.

No Sightseer Cars on the Sunset Coast Starlight and The SW Chief? Rumors? If true Amtrak has hit a new low. Cooked to order food and a SSL car are two essentials.
AFAICT they are rumors with no basis in facts at this time.

But hey that would be less exciting than if the SSLs do go away, so it makes a good rumor. 🤷‍♂️

No Sightseer Cars on the Sunset Coast Starlight and The SW Chief? Rumors? If true Amtrak has hit a new low. Cooked to order food and a SSL car are two essentials.
There is absolutely no evidence in reality that they are doing this. Bob Dylan posted this back in September and Sightseer Lounges continue to run on the Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, and Southwest Chief.

There is absolutely no evidence in reality that they are doing this. Bob Dylan posted this back in September and Sightseer Lounges continue to run on the Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, and Southwest Chief.
Yep, my sources in Amtrak were wrong, only the Orphan LD Trains the Cap and the Eaglette are without SSLs( and are still serving Flex Meals and have lost their Transdorms also).

Yep, my sources in Amtrak were wrong, only the Orphan LD Trains the Cap and the Eaglette are without SSLs( and are still serving Flex Meals and have lost their Transdorms also).
Those orphans are running daily when a lot of other LD trains aren't.
Which reminds me, the run-through schedule(s) with the long stop at St. Louis was supposed to end May 2. Did it?

Those orphans are running daily when a lot of other LD trains aren't.
Which reminds me, the run-through schedule(s) with the long stop at St. Louis was supposed to end May 2. Did it?
Yes. It apparently did end. Now it leaves Chicago at 1:45 pm and has a St Louis stop from 7:13pm to 7:55 pm. That leaves time for possibly handling a St Louis drop Coach for the summer.

The one SSL in the California lease pool is nothing new. It has been there for several years with a start date well before any COVID or such. IIRC it happened as far back as Anderson's time.

I did not know that the SSL was part of the lease pool. It appears to be only used as a sub, though. Too bad it's not part of a regular trainset since it gives awesome views along the Surfliner route, albeit at sacrifice to the trainset's capacity.

Back