Silver Coach or Carolinian Business?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My family is heading up to Philadelphia in May for the Wizard World convention, and will most likely be leaving from Richmond's RVR Staples Mill station (our local one in Newport News is a hundred dollars more for the trip). I've taken the Regional in Business Class before, but haven't traveled on any of the "named" trains with a dining car/checked luggage option, so would like to try it out.

Question is: would it be better to take the Silver Meteor or Silver Star coach class, or take the Carolinian and upgrade to business class? Is there a huge difference? There is no business class available on the silver trains, just roomettes and rooms.

Thanks in advance for the help - it's my husband and son's first time taking the train, and I don't want to disappoint!

My general feel would be take one of the Silver Service trains in coach. The "coaches" used on the Silver Meteor is identical to the "Business Class Car" on the Carolinian in almost every way. The only differences is that you get free soft drinks for your Business Class fare and the business class car on the Carolinian should be guaranteed to be one of the Silver coaches with the AC outlet upgrades. The Silver Meteor coaches likely will have AC outlets, but may not.

Food service on the Silver Service trains will be a nice step up from the "AmCafe" options you're used to aboard Regional Trains. The AmCafe fare will still be available as one option, but there is also a full service diner with table service that should provide you a much better train "experience" should you choose to enjoy it. The Carolinian offers the same AmCafe fare as your standard Regional.

Looking at the dates at the end of May, it seems the 29th has the Meteor at the same price as the Regionals. On the 30th, the Meteor runs $22 more for adults. Given that the BC upgrade on the Carolinian is $27 for adults and kids, and you're only getting soft drinks, it would seem that the Meteor gives you the most bang for your buck if the prices are the same, and barely edges out the Carolinian BC if you have to pay more.

The two potential caveats to the Meteor are its timekeeping (which the Carolinian can and does fall victim to as well) and the time it will have been in service when you board, which might mean low supplies of snacks, dirty coaches and/or restrooms.

Therefore, you may want to contemplate taking a BC Regional up to Philly and returning on either the Silver Star or Meteor, as these trains will be much more dependable and clean as you'll be boarding them near the beginning of their Southbound run.

The two potential caveats to the Meteor are its timekeeping (which the Carolinian can and does fall victim to as well) and the time it will have been in service when you board, which might mean low supplies of snacks, dirty coaches and/or restrooms.
Therefore, you may want to contemplate taking a BC Regional up to Philly and returning on either the Silver Star or Meteor, as these trains will be much more dependable and clean as you'll be boarding them near the beginning of their Southbound run.
You said exactly what I was going to suggest, take a regional to Philly and the Silver Service on the return.

Since many Regionals would originate at RVR, you can (usually) assume they will start on time (or very near on time). The Silver trains have to come from FL, and may be late! :eek: Nothing like starting out on your trip 4-5 hours late!

You said exactly what I was going to suggest, take a regional to Philly and the Silver Service on the return.

Since many Regionals would originate at RVR, you can (usually) assume they will start on time (or very near on time). The Silver trains have to come from FL, and may be late! :eek: Nothing like starting out on your trip 4-5 hours late!
That is very good advice from you both - thanks! I'll check out the Regional Service from Richmond (one that's originating there - the 86 seems to start in Richmond) and then take the Silver Star home from Phillly on Sunday. The Silver Meteor gets in a little too late to Richmond, especially considering delays and the hour-and-a-half drive we have to take from Richmond to home!

Since you won't be doing a super extended trip (like SAV-PHL) but rather from RVR, I like the suggestion to try both. From my experience, Business Class is much quieter than coach on the LDs. The Business Class crowd generally is looking for the quiet escape so they can get work done/relax. The coach passenger generally has younger kids, is making noise, and setting up camp for the night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back