Silver Meteor new connection?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colobok

Service Attendant
With a new adjustment in Silver Meteor schedule Amtrak could create a new connection to Ft.Myers-Tampa-Orlando bus.

Meteor from MIA arrives to Orlando at 1:23pm and bus to Tampa and Ft.Myers is leaving at 1:30pm.

It also works in the other direction (bus arrives at 12:55 and southbound Meteor - also 1:23pm).

So they could establish the second TPA-MIA conection as well as a new connections like St.Pete/Ft.Myers/Sarasota - MIA.

My question is why is it not done?

It would be excessively long to take the bus to ORL from TPA or FTM to go southbound to MIA when there's already direct service provided by the Star. Granted if you really needed the times the Meteor runs no one would likely stop you, but it's kind of counterintuitive.

Southbound, you'd have to leave Tampa earlier in order to get to Miami later. There would be no point.

Northbound, you'd have to leave 3.5 hours earlier to get to Tampa 1.5 hours earlier, on such a short trip.

Northbound, you'd have to leave 3.5 hours earlier to get to Tampa 1.5 hours earlier, on such a short trip.
It doesn't make sense for you, but maybe somebody will prefer this to get to Tampa earlier.

Plus it creates connection from Sarasota and Fort Myers to MIA and stations between ORL and MIA,

for example Sarasota to Sebring.

Anyway, it doesn't cost anything for Amtrak to offer this connection, so why not?

You do have to remember though that the general public is pretty dumb (I know, I get to take phone calls from them). If you set up that connection to auto populate in ARROW there would be a ridiculous number of people that would take the train to thruway option to get to Tampa, be pissed that they have to get on a bus, then would call and complain. If the Star was running out of Tampa in the middle of the night, I'd probably go along with your philosophy, but the time difference is so small that the morons would create more havoc than it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back