Silver Star in March; Any suggestions?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
I’m looking at taking a train home from a vacation in Florida in 2019; this time from Tampa on the Silver Star. I know that the Star does not have a diner, just a lounge. Should I pack a small cooler or are the food offerings on board sufficient? Any more suggestions?

How long of a trip? When I travel north on the Star from Orlando, I eat dinner before I board. I generally bring fruit for breakfast and a pbj for lunch. I am a pretty picky eater, but I like the cheese plate sold in the cafe and usually purchase one of those (with a beer or wine) when I travel on the Star. Most passengers are not as picky as I am, however.

I'm going to assume that like last time, you're taking it all the way to PHL. This is what you'll have to work with onboard. If you think you can live off that at those prices for a almost a day, why bother bringing a cooler or a snacks. If those options are not going to work for you on their own, make sure to have a filling meal before you board, and bring a small insulated bag or cooler with quick and easy, but also filling, snacks such as cheese and crackers, pre-packaged sandwiches, nuts, etc. Just make sure it will travel well and won't smell, and you should be all set.

Yes, I would be riding all the way to PHL and then transfer to a Keystone to ELT. I haven’t yet booked the trip, it is still in the planning stages. I think it is worth a try even though there’s no diner. I was kind of wondering if I should pack things to eat; I read a travelogue that said the Star’s lounge gets packed given that there’s no diner and it is the only food source for the whole train.

I read a travelogue that said the Star’s lounge gets packed given that there’s no diner and it is the only food source for the whole train.
When I traveled on the Star, I usually did not find the lounge crowded. Only once was it so crowded that I shared a table with "strangers." That was on my northbound trip to Columbia, SC to see the eclispe and the train was completely sold out. Granted, I am not a regular traveler on the Star (the Meteor is usually my train of choice) - so others' experiences may be different.

The star is my regular deadhead. It really depends on the segment of the route for how the lounge is. PTB-North most of the time the lounge does brisk business. RGH-HAM the cafe on 91/92 is open and isn't crowded at all.

I haven't been south since the lack of the diner so no clue south of Columbia.

Well, I am booked for my trip in March! I redeemed points for a Roomette, and have been assigned Car 9210, Room 2. When I rode the Meteor last March I was in 9811, which was 2 cars from the end of the train. I assume 9210 is at the very rear given the Star has no diner...

Well, I am booked for my trip in March! I redeemed points for a Roomette, and have been assigned Car 9210, Room 2. When I rode the Meteor last March I was in 9811, which was 2 cars from the end of the train. I assume 9210 is at the very rear given the Star has no diner...
9210 will be the first sleeper, right next to the lounge car.

9211 should be the car to the rear of 9210, and the baggage car should be behind that (unless the sleepers are flipped and place in the front of the train). There generally are 2 sleepers on 92 and 3 on 98. 9812 is to the rear of 9811 and baggage is to the rear of 9812.

Last edited by a moderator:
9211 should be the car to the rear of 9210, and the baggage car should be behind that (unless the sleepers are flipped and place in the front of the train). There generally are 2 sleepers on 92 and 3 on 98. 9812 is to the rear of 9811 and baggage is to the rear of 9812.
I imagine what happened is that were three sleepers when he took the Meteor, so his car 9811 was the middle one, and he figured that 9810 was the last sleeper, rather than the first one.

I’m wondering; Amtrak is still rolling out the Viewliner Diners. Is it possible they will stick one on the Star in the future—perhaps by the time I make my trip? When will the Viewliner II sleepers come on?

I’m wondering; Amtrak is still rolling out the Viewliner Diners. Is it possible they will stick one on the Star in the future—perhaps by the time I make my trip? When will the Viewliner II sleepers come on?
I would not count on a Viewliner Diner on the Star. I am sure there are educated guesses about when the new sleepers will come on, but it will not be anytime soon.

I would say that there is virtually no chance of you ending up with a Viewliner II sleeper. They only just delivered the first bag-dorm, and they're still not even done with the diners. And considering what has been happening with meal service lately, I don't see any reason why they'd put a diner back on the Star anytime soon. At best you might end up with the contemporary boxed meals, but that still seems highly unlikely.

I think I’ll be fine without a diner. It’s a different change of pace. I was very satisfied with the Roomette when I rode the Meteor back in March. I still might pack a collapsible cooler and some cheese and crackers.

Latest posts

Back