Silver Star rider arrives on track 11 east

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Star rider

Service Attendant
Hi, my name is Bruce and I live in Brooklyn, Coney Island section of Brooklyn.

I grew up playing with a Lionel train set. I currently have two layouts in my house, a HO and a O gauge layout.

I have taken Amtrak between NY Penn and Orlando every year since 2005. I did it twice in 2009. In a little more then two weeks, taking a ride on the Silver Star back to Orlando for 8 days. When on the train, I use a GPS to see where I am and how fast we are going. I post email messages giving updates of my journey to Disneyworld.

My job as a field service technician takes me to most of the boroughs here in New York, including the area around Penn station and Long Island City. I like walking around Long Island City to look at the Sunnyside train yard. I also enjoy watching trains entering the East River tunnel. I also sometimes hang out in Penn by the big board and watch for the long distance trains, especially for the Silver Star and Meteor.

A couple of weeks ago, I had to take Path from Newark Penn back to the city. But seeing the Silver Meteor heading to Orlando, I did pause and think about taking that train instead.

In Manhattan there is this block where you see trains leaving from under the Farley Post Office before disappearing under 450 West 33 st to enter the trans Hudson Tunnel. I spend sometime watching the trains coming and going.

A friend on another list told me about this list. Perhaps you have seen me post on a couple of Yahoo groups dealing with trains.

Hi you all
smile.gif

Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bruce. Welcome. I live in Orlando and take the Silver Meteor (and sometimes Silver Star) to visit my sister in Maryland and relatives in New York. I live fairly close to the tracks in Orlando and can usually hear the northbound Silver Star whistle in the evening. It makes my day. :giggle:

Penny

For the trip back to New York, I take the Silver Meteor. I like to travel in the morning. The Star leaves in the evening if memory serves. I should take the Star as I still have park time.

Bruce

Hi Bruce. Welcome. I live in Orlando and take the Silver Meteor (and sometimes Silver Star) to visit my sister in Maryland and relatives in New York. I live fairly close to the tracks in Orlando and can usually hear the northbound Silver Star whistle in the evening. It makes my day.
mosking.gif

Penny

Back