Silver Star Update

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OTOH, if no new Diners are in service by then, the date might get pushed back, if they have still been avoiding doing major overhaul on the old Diners as they come due, in the fond hope of having the new Diners online. Only time will tell.

I guess that blows my theory that this 'experiment' was done because some of the heritage diners are in such bad shape to no longer be road worthy.

OTOH, if no new Diners are in service by then, the date might get pushed back, if they have still been avoiding doing major overhaul on the old Diners as they come due, in the fond hope of having the new Diners online. Only time will tell.
I don't think they can just push out a new diner just like that.

The staff will need to familiarized and trained on the new car etc. All this takes time.

Very doubtful time line, but yes that the plan. The hole experiment is PR for a management call not to invest large funds for major work in the heritage cars. Or just a after thought.

Now will the Sliver Star or another train get the new cars first, is another whole another issue, but come 1 Feb (+/-) 2016 someone at Amtrak is hoping to have enough new dinners on the road to provide normal meal services.

Concur, the time line is just too short @ the rate the bag cars have been entering full service.

Maybe 8400 and a couple of the Heritage Diners that are still in good mechanical shape ( some are better than others) can be dedicated to the Star until the new ones start entering Service?

Or maybe the 'experiment' will be deemed a 'success,' and extended, though it doesn't seem that way with what City of Miami found. OTOH, if Amtrak were to extend the experiment with short notice, it would hardly be the first time they pulled a stunt like knowing well in advance they can't deliver what they have sold.

Or maybe the 'experiment' will be deemed a 'success,' and extended, though it doesn't seem that way with what City of Miami found. OTOH, if Amtrak were to extend the experiment with short notice, it would hardly be the first time they pulled a stunt like knowing well in advance they can't deliver what they have sold.
Isn't that how this whole thing started in the first place? "Hello Mr. & Mrs Passenger, your sleeper fare no longer comes with any meals, welcome aboard the Silver Budget Express."

The staff will need to familiarized and trained on the new car etc. All this takes time.
Well, they have already used the VL I Diner Indianapolis several times on the Silvers. Since they were able to do that I have problem understanding why it would be so difficult to use VL II Diners, which are more or less identical to the VL I prototype as far as the Dines OBS equipment is concerned. Maybe I am missing something?

Spotted on 91 in WIL today. No, not a diner. This was between the engine & the bag.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1440436625.071959.jpg

The cafe car menu on the Silver Star has been altered to offer more choices. I think it is closer to the NEC menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
They also raised the price of a cocktail to $8.00. Right in line with the airlines.

Well, they have already used the VL I Diner Indianapolis several times on the Silvers. Since they were able to do that I have problem understanding why it would be so difficult to use VL II Diners, which are more or less identical to the VL I prototype as far as the Dines OBS equipment is concerned. Maybe I am missing something?
Well, the underfloor equipment will be different from the V I, but the same as the baggage car... training really should go quick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back