Simplified Dining service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Train2104

OBS Chief
Which trains have simplified dining service? I thought every LD train except the EB, CONO, and Auto Train has it, but the Amtrak Service Manual appears to portray it as being on a minority of trains by giving it less explanation than the full-service dining. Am I correct?

I think the "simplified dining service" has evolved into something much more similar to the "standard" amtrak dining cars. When I think of SDS I think of the Bob Evans Breakfast Scramble, not the made to order scrambled eggs that are now available on the menus. What remains of SDS is reduced staffing, plastic plates, paper tablecloths, and possibly a couple more pre-made entree's than in some prior Amtrak years, but nothing that noticeably different in my opinion.

As for the City of New Orleans, the CCC car when I rode last summer was being used basically as a standard diner, and served one of the best meals I've had in the past few years anywhere, no just on trains.

The Diner-Lite's and the CCC's were just one part of SDS. As noted SDS also included pre-plated meals, plasticware, reduced staffing, and other things. SDS has been softened to some extent at this point for all trains, except for the Cardinal which is the only train operating without a full service kitchen.

Some trains have seen extra softening of the SDS, like the Coast Starlight & the Zephyr. But all have seen at least some relaxing of the original standards. Some foods are once again cooked to order, ice cream is back, staffing levels are now based upon how full a train will be, etc.

Real Chinaware has been returned to several trains as well. The Coast Starlight has been back on China for quite a while and now I believe that the Zephyr and the CL both have had Chinaware restored on-board.

Having just road the CS this weekend I'm not sure my idea of China is the same as yours. It's not plastic, true, but it seems highly unlikely to contain any bone ash either. It appears to be some sort of extremely basic ceramic plate. The kind that you'd buy in a heavily discounted housewares store. What makes the CS great isn't the plates though; it's the amazing scenery, the interesting passengers, the atmosphere of the Pacific Parlor Car, and the friendly and attentive staff.

Real Chinaware has been returned to several trains as well. The Coast Starlight has been back on China for quite a while and now I believe that the Zephyr and the CL both have had Chinaware restored on-board.
My definition of chinaware is anything that's not plastic. Which trains use it?

Also, note that the manual we are all looking at is from April 2011. Any recent changes are probably in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, the plastic plates do not bother me one single bit. I think they are VERY nicely designed, they are not just store bought styrofoam, they are as close to china as disposable can get (yes I know that is a ridiculous statement. haha). I'm gonna be happy we still have dining cars at all, and that they still have custom real silverware, and cloth napkins!

I'm also thrilled they have ANYTHING cooked to order, that was looking less and less likely a few years ago.

On both the CZ and CL in Feb. of this year, they had plastic plates but real silverware. I believe the tablecloths were real too. The food was definitely not pre-plated on either train.

There wasn't any China on the Zephyr when I took it last month. I know they're considering it (as both a plus to service and, ironically, I believe something of a cost savings/green measure over throwing everything out).

They did have the "china" on the CL when I took it last week. It is Correll, as I not only have the same type of plate but I also read the bottom. No doubter.

They did have the "china" on the CL when I took it last week. It is Correll, as I not only have the same type of plate but I also read the bottom. No doubter.
Yep, I had it on the Cap both going and returning. They also had cloth napkins, or something that felt like cloth. Cap ltd dining was actually nicer than dining on the EB which I thought was their premiere train. Had the disposable plastic and paper napkins on EB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back