Sit up in upper bunk?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John King

Train Attendant
Hello all. We have a SL roomette for part of our trip, and a SL family bedroom for part of the trip. I'm 6' tall. When the top bunk is down and ready for sleeping, is there enough headroom that a person can sit up in bed? I read suggestions for using tape to mark out the roomette size on the floor before you leave to get ready for the space, but haven't seen comments relating to head size. Any comments about people's ability to climb up top would be appreciated. I've travelled with my kids and they hop up there no problem - but I never tried. In two weeks we take CL and TE Was to Dal and back. I suggest to my sister she go up there - who then reminds me she just got her Medicare card and not yet ready to use it.

rolleyes.gif

Hello all. We have a SL roomette for part of our trip, and a SL family bedroom for part of the trip. I'm 6' tall. When the top bunk is down and ready for sleeping, is there enough headroom that a person can sit up in bed? I read suggestions for using tape to mark out the roomette size on the floor before you leave to get ready for the space, but haven't seen comments relating to head size. Any comments about people's ability to climb up top would be appreciated. I've travelled with my kids and they hop up there no problem - but I never tried. In two weeks we take CL and TE Was to Dal and back. I suggest to my sister she go up there - who then reminds me she just got her Medicare card and not yet ready to use it.

rolleyes.gif
I strongly suggest that y'all stay away from the H room~ there's about enough room to fit three sheets of paper between your nose and the ceiling if you're trying to sleep on your back :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife has arthritis really bad so I always take the upper bunk in a SL roomette. Yes its coffin like, but if coffins are so "unrestworthy" wouldn't they bury us in recliner chairs (coach) instead? All I know is yes its cramped but I'm laying down, I have privacy and I'm on a train! BTW, the best thing to do is to tape out the diagram of the roomette. EVERY person who has done that when we suggested it knows how small the roomettes are going into thier first trip. The one couple who didn't said to us, "we couldn't believe how small the roomettes were".

rolleyes.gif
I've slept in the upper bunk in a standard bedroom on a Superliner many times. It's a little awkward to schooch into, or schooch out of) but it can be done by this ORF. There's no chance of sitting up in bed, but there's pleanty of room to turn over or shift position.

I've never tried the upper bunk in a Viewliner or a family bedroom on a SL, nor on any train in a roomette.

Upon boarding, we usually set the bedroom up with the upper bunk in the sleeping position in order to to store stuff, and then when sleeping time comes we get the stuff down, and I use the upper bunk for sleeping. That handy pouch holds all my essentials, including that damn alarm clock to warn me about the upcoming smoke stops. I sleep like a rock. :lol:

I have slept up there, and have been relatively comfortable. But there is no way to sit up. I, too, am 6' (but at the time, 250+ lbs), and could not even turn around in my bunk without getting down, or opening the door, or doing something.

Another note about the top bunk is that it is in the curvature of the top of the car - so you get the ... ummm ... feature(?) of enjoying the mass inertia at its furthest point from the pivot point about the wheel trucks. You will feel every nook, bump and curve. I highly recommend putting up the netting. I thought it was to help hold up the bunk, but it's to keep you in it.

You will likely get sleep, but whomever is the lighter of the two sleepers should definitely be on the bottom bunk.

Regrettably, the top bunk on the Superliners don't have windows. When I travel alone, I prefer to sleep on the top bunk and keep the seats below made. I'm pretty ADD, so on a train trip, I find myself bouncing between the seats and the bunk.

I have slept up there, and have been relatively comfortable. But there is no way to sit up. I, too, am 6' (but at the time, 250+ lbs), and could not even turn around in my bunk without getting down, or opening the door, or doing something.

Another note about the top bunk is that it is in the curvature of the top of the car - so you get the ... ummm ... feature(?) of enjoying the mass inertia at its furthest point from the pivot point about the wheel trucks. You will feel every nook, bump and curve. I highly recommend putting up the netting. I thought it was to help hold up the bunk, but it's to keep you in it.

You will likely get sleep, but whomever is the lighter of the two sleepers should definitely be on the bottom bunk.

Regrettably, the top bunk on the Superliners don't have windows. When I travel alone, I prefer to sleep on the top bunk and keep the seats below made. I'm pretty ADD, so on a train trip, I find myself bouncing between the seats and the bunk.
The lack of a window for the upper berth in a SL never bothers me. What's to see when I'm sleeping? <_<

As for the ADD --- That's my wife. So my sleeping choice gets me upstairs, out of the way, to sleep. :wacko:

Then she's free to sit up and read, or lay down and sleep, or use the head, or fuss with the stuff in her purse, or do her hair, or walk to the coffee maker, or talk with the car attendant, or go down to the sightseer car, or whatever else strikes her fancy at the moment. :lol: In the middle of the night, I want to sleep. :D

The lack of a window for the upper berth in a SL never bothers me. What's to see when I'm sleeping? <_<

As for the ADD --- That's my wife. So my sleeping choice gets me upstairs, out of the way, to sleep. :wacko:

Then she's free to sit up and read, or lay down and sleep, or use the head, or fuss with the stuff in her purse, or do her hair, or walk to the coffee maker, or talk with the car attendant, or go down to the sightseer car, or whatever else strikes her fancy at the moment. :lol: In the middle of the night, I want to sleep. :D
I can never sleep on any mode of transit, be it trains planes or automobiles. Drives my wife nuts. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back