Size of luggage?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Gingee

I just bought some suitcases for our trip. I know there is a size limit for two suitcases but is there something about being able to have double the size but only up to 50 pounds total if you take one large suitcase? I thought someone mentioned that before but I can't find anything on the web site about it.

We are going on the Cardinal (no checked baggage). Is there enough room above you for these suitcases? We bought a 28", and the next two sizes down today.

Thanks

Guest_Gingee said:
I just bought some suitcases for our trip. I know there is a size limit for two suitcases but is there something about being able to have double the size but only up to 50 pounds total if you take one large suitcase? I thought someone mentioned that before but I can't find anything on the web site about it.
We are going on the Cardinal (no checked baggage). Is there enough room above you for these suitcases? We bought a 28", and the next two sizes down today.

Thanks
Each suitcase can weight no more than 50 LBS or you may be forced to leave it behind.

Here's the link to the official policy, again.

Guest_Gingee said:
But if you only take one suitcase, can your weight or size be bigger?
No. Each suitcase must conform to the standard, regardless of whether you take one suitcase for 4 people or 8 suitcases for 4 people.

Okay, thanks. I don't know where I saw that other comment about only one suitcase being bigger.

On the other hand, if you carry your bags on (since the Cardinal has no checked baggage), there's no way any Amtrak could possibly know how heavy your bags are, is there? (Provided, of course, you can lift them yourself and don't need the assistance of an employee)

They don't weigh them somewhere?

Okay, how does this sound to you experienced train travelers?

We are a family of four. Yesterday I bought a 4 piece luggage set.

The sizes are 21 x 14 x 71/2, 25 x 17 x 8 1/2, 28 x 19 x 9 1/2. These three can expand two and a half inches more (on the top where the pockets are). My husband thinks he can get his clothes in one of our duffle bags (which is smaller than the 28" size - I think). I imagine our girls will also carry some kind of duffle bag with them also. I probably will too. We need two suitcases each because on the cruise you have to leave your main suitcase outside your room the last night so it can be taken off early in the morning. Consequently the need for an extra suitcase along with personal items. Our girls may have backpacks with them also.

Will we be rejected boarding. Too much stuff for four people? I know it says two carryons per person and it doesn't include your laptop, backpacks? and purses.

Thanks

Your suitcases should be fine, as long as it is less than 50 pounds. The overhead bins in the train are roomier than in airplanes. There's no doors in the bins, so it is a lot easier to put/remove them.

As for backpack, I'm surprised Amtrak policy doesn't list backpack as an exception because airlines do. I would recommend to call Amtrak customer service about backpack. Perhaps others will know. Laptops, diapers bags, and briefcases (maybe day backpacks, not big backpacks?) do not count as carry-on baggages, so you don't have to worry about that.

Too much stuff? I don't know as long as total of 8 (for family of 4) suitcases/duffels or less. I recommend to have one or two for easier access during the Amtrak journey.

I am assuming they use one of the suitcases I mentioned plus a duffle bag (night type) plus a book bag.

By the way, we got our tickets today and they goofed up. They put my son's name on the ticket and knocked my husband off. Where they got his name, I don't know. Maybe from a cancelled trip two years ago? I have to call shortly and straighten it out.

Guest_Gingee said:
By the way, we got our tickets today and they goofed up. They put my son's name on the ticket and knocked my husband off.
They always goof up when I call to book tickets, too. Out of the five or six reservations I have made over the phone, the reservation agents (while pleasant to speak to and doing their best) have messed up every single one of them in one way or another. It is quite frustrating, even after I have called back and spoken with second agents just to verify the first agent booked it right to still get wrong tickets in the mail. For this reason I usually book ALL my tickets online through the website. It is unfortunate that there are still a few reservations I need to book once in a while that I can't book online, though.

<_<

Wait till you hear what we have to do now. I will post that separetly.

This is not a good beginning.

Baggage is weighed when it is checked at the counter. When there is no checked baggage, then nothing is weighed.

Gingee, why not register with the forum? You seem to be posting here often enough to do so. Why do so, you asked. To me, it is a way of standing behind your comments as a regular member, to allow others to locate your posts more quickly, and offer the forum some means of control. Try it. :D

Welcome, Gingee!

main.jpg

Chatter163 said:
It is an ancient picture pf Wayne Newton.  My voice is much deeper.
Aloha

Reconized the Picture, I am old enough to remember then, just would like to have earned his money, I would now travel in a private rail car. :D :D :D

Back