Sleeper Car Restrooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be our first time travelling by train from Tampa to Washington, DC to Chicago to Denver. We have roomettes on the Tampa (orlando) to Washington & Washington to Chicago. Does anyone know what amenities are in the restrooms? What do we need to bring of our own?

This will be our first time travelling by train from Tampa to Washington, DC to Chicago to Denver. We have roomettes on the Tampa (orlando) to Washington & Washington to Chicago. Does anyone know what amenities are in the restrooms? What do we need to bring of our own?
There is soap, towels and toilet paper. Anything else, you need to bring.

(There are also wash rags in the shower along with the soap and towels.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sleeper car passengers are provided with bar soap, shampoo, towels and washcloths. My wife usually brings a small bottle of her own preferred shampoo. But, as mentioned, anything else you use you will have to furnish. The shower room usually has extra towels available, too.

Sleeper car passengers are provided with bar soap, shampoo, towels and washcloths. My wife usually brings a small bottle of her own preferred shampoo. But, as mentioned, anything else you use you will have to furnish. The shower room usually has extra towels available, too.
On the California Zephyr in October, we were not provided shampoo. But in the Empire Builder and Coast Starlight, we were. I don't know if it was an ommision on the CZ or policy.

On the California Zephyr in October, we were not provided shampoo. But in the Empire Builder and Coast Starlight, we were. I don't know if it was an ommision on the CZ or policy.
In all my years on the Silvers, I have never been provided shampoo. :rolleyes:

Is the shampoo perhaps for deluxe bedrooms only? I think my mom may have had shampoo in her vanity, but in my roomette on the CZ no shampoo. I don't know either if the florida trains are running roomettes with toilets or not?

Is the shampoo perhaps for deluxe bedrooms only? I think my mom may have had shampoo in her vanity, but in my roomette on the CZ no shampoo. I don't know either if the florida trains are running roomettes with toilets or not?
I was in a bedroom on the CONO last month, and there was no shampoo. It probably has more to do with the expanded amenity levels advertised on the Builder and the Starlight.

Also, on the CL and CZ (which are Superliner sleepers), there is a separate toilet elsewhere in the car (for roomettes). On the Siilver trains (to Florida - which are Viewliner sleepers), the roomettes have the toilet in the room - and is not separated from the rest of the roomette. There are no other restrooms in the car. (You'll have to go to the coaches or lounge if you don't want to use the one in your room. Or you could ask the other person to step out in the hall for a minute. But that's not very convenient at 3 AM!)

Both the Superliners and Viewliners have a separate shower room.

I don't recall any shampoo in the roomettes on the Capitol or the LSL, but I was prepared for this having swiped the small shampoo that was in my hotel. :)

I also wasn't sure if there would be towels or not, so took a travel towel with me, however there were amtowels provided.

The Viewliners have an unenclosed toilet next to one of the roomette seats. I hope you two are close.

If that is a problem, you can walk back 2-3 cars to use a toilet. We're all on the same page on this one. We all would really like the option of a seperate bathroom on the Viewliners. If the train has an old-style lounge car, their should be a bathroom in it. It is probably the cleanest public bathroom in the train, since most peoople don't realize it exists. Oh, and the non handicapped one is NOT locked, it just has a door closer designed by the same people who design Mercedes-Benz throttle return springs. Push HARD. Its the cleanest, probably, because everyone else thinks it is locked, too.

And love the 70s decor, will ya?

Shampoo is generally not put out on display, but it is supposed to be available upon request from your attendant. However most people bring their own.

If your bald like me, shampoo is no big deal. However, I have saved enough money over the years not buying it that I paid for my son's college education. There are advantages.

Also, on the CL and CZ (which are Superliner sleepers), there is a separate toilet elsewhere in the car (for roomettes). On the Siilver trains (to Florida - which are Viewliner sleepers), the roomettes have the toilet in the room - and is not separated from the rest of the roomette. There are no other restrooms in the car. (You'll have to go to the coaches or lounge if you don't want to use the one in your room. Or you could ask the other person to step out in the hall for a minute. But that's not very convenient at 3 AM!)
Both the Superliners and Viewliners have a separate shower room.

Except for the H-Room on the Viewliner.

The CS gives sleeper pax travel toiletry kits.

RF

Last edited by a moderator:
We're all on the same page on this one. We all would really like the option of a seperate bathroom on the Viewliners.
Sorry, but please don't include me into your "we all".

I much, much prefer the Viewliner roomettes over the Superliner roomettes, because in the Viewliner I have a toilet that's mine, all mine. :D

We're all on the same page on this one. We all would really like the option of a seperate bathroom on the Viewliners.
Sorry, but please don't include me into your "we all".

I much, much prefer the Viewliner roomettes over the Superliner roomettes, because in the Viewliner I have a toilet that's mine, all mine. :D
I didn't say we didn't want the roomette toilets. I said we all want the option of an enclosed bathroom. For example, a 10-6 sleeper such as Edward G. Budd Company's plan # 9522 built for the Union Pacific in 1950 as the "Pacific" series, an additional bathroom in the hallway.

They were laid out 6 Double Bedrooms, 10 roomettes, and then a bathroom on one side and the attendants compartment on the other, followed by the Vestibule. Amtrak inherited 43 of these cars. Actually, they were converted to Dorm Lounge cars along with the almost identical Budd layout 9521 cars built for ATSF as the Pine series. Actually former UP 1404, 1406, and 1415 are still in service as "special service cars".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back