Sleeper Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

busboy

Service Attendant
I'm booked on the Sunset Ltd for a trip in Febuary. My ticket says I'm in in car 0231 room # 017

But according to this website, there is no room 17

http://www.trainweb.org/crocon/sleeperplans.html

I wanted to be on the lower level if possible because I like to clean my own window when the train stops since Amtrak doesn't clean them very often. I carry a little bottle of windex for this purpose.

Looks like you are in the crew dorm car, in one of four rooms sold there when the other cars run out of space in the smaller rooms.

Could be interpreted either way, and I have not ever been in sleeper, let alone the crew dorm.

It is probably a good idea to search for other threads about the dorm cars, as other posters have ridden in them.

You are in the Transdorm (Transition/Dormitory). The advantages, car tends to be quieter, the only through traffic are the crew members and the other people in your car. The disadvantage is there typically is no dedicated attendant for the car, so getting service can be dodgy if the attendant in the other car is not on his or her toes.

You are on the upper level, there are no lower level accommodations in the transdorm.

Call Amtrak and see if you can get switched to a lower level roomette (11-14) in the 0230. If is available, a competent agent can switch you. If they say the fare will change, ask to speak with a supervisor or just call back and hope the luck of the draw gets you a better agent. It can be done.

BTW-I never reserve sleeping car accommodations on the web because I am picky about roomette location. Upper level, not in the transdorm, toward the middle of the car (rooms 2-6) when possible. I always ask the agent which room they've pulled up and ask them to change it before I book if it is one I don't like.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are in the Transdorm (Transition/Dormitory). The advantages, car tends to be quieter, the only through traffic are the crew members and the other people in your car. The disadvantage is there typically is no dedicated attendant for the car, so getting service can be dodgy if the attendant in the other car is not on his or her toes.

You are on the upper level, there are no lower level accommodations in the transdorm.

Call Amtrak and see if you can get switched to a lower level roomette (11-14) in the 0230. If is available, a competent agent can switch you. If they say the fare will change, ask to speak with a supervisor or just call back and hope the luck of the draw gets you a better agent. It can be done.

BTW-I never reserve sleeping car accommodations on the web because I am picky about roomette location. Upper level, not in the transdorm, toward the middle of the car (rooms 2-6) when possible. I always ask the agent which room they've pulled up and ask them to change it before I book if it is one I don't like.
Thanks for the info! I called and there were no other rooms available. I decided to change my date of travel and got a room I like, and the price was lower too!

I'm probably one of the most picky travelers on the forum but even I would have a hard time making a serious fuss over the Transdorm. The main issue is noise and exhaust from the engine. Other than that it's very similar to the other cars in my view. Maybe a little quieter and maybe with fewer service checks but none of these things are a deal breaker in my view. It's all basically a wash in the end so if you managed to find a better date at a lower rate I would consider that a good choice. Personally I think choosing top or bottom level probably has a greater impact than Transdorm vs. Sleeper.

I wanted to be on the lower level if possible because I like to clean my own window when the train stops since Amtrak doesn't clean them very often. I carry a little bottle of windex for this purpose.
Amtrak cleaned the windows when I boarded the SWC ABQ-LAX this past May. I wish they hadn't. I was in a lower roomette, and the effect of the window cleaning was similar to taking a greasy rag and smearing the glass.

I'm probably one of the most picky travelers on the forum but even I would have a hard time making a serious fuss over the Transdorm. The main issue is noise and exhaust from the engine. Other than that it's very similar to the other cars in my view. Maybe a little quieter and maybe with fewer service checks but none of these things are a deal breaker in my view. It's all basically a wash in the end so if you managed to find a better date at a lower rate I would consider that a good choice. Personally I think choosing top or bottom level probably has a greater impact than Transdorm vs. Sleeper.
To each his own. The one time I had the transdorm, I really did not like it. I book away from it when I can. Of course if it is a choice between not going or taking a roomette in the transdorm, I'd take it. I don't like the lower level either. Some really like the transdorm, some really like lower level, though, some don't care a rip as long as they are on a train, it is very much individual taste.

I really like the lower level, mainly because there are very few people walking by and I also like being closer to the ground to watch things go by. I know many prefer the upper level, I guess I'm strange. Anyway, It's not a deal breaker being upstairs, but I was able to shift my trip just a few days and get the room I like so it all worked out.

Thanks to everyone for the excellent information!

Thanks for the info! I called and there were no other rooms available. I decided to change my date of travel and got a room I like, and the price was lower too!
Sounds like you haven't yet discovered Amsnag.net which allows you see fares across a range if dates. It won't show you room availability, but it does show you the cheapest travel dates. Here's the url: http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php

Sounds like you haven't yet discovered Amsnag.net which allows you see fares across a range if dates. It won't show you room availability, but it does show you the cheapest travel dates. Here's the url: http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php
I know all about amsnag, use it all the time. In this example, the fares were just slightly different over a several day span so it didn't make much difference from a price perspective.

busboy,

I get your reasoning about riding in the lower level, to clean your window. And obviously you mean the outside, but are passengers allowed to do that themselves, and is it possible to reach the total area? Do you do that at your point of departure or enroute at a stop?

Just curious, it seems to me that the crew on the train would frown upon that.

Anyone else feel free to respond to this also.

I've seen people clean the lower level windows on several occasions, most memorably on 3 in La Junta. Train crews never seem to care. The windows on the lower level of the Superliners are relatively low due to car's sowbelly design, and the whole surface is easily accessible unless you are very, very short.

I've seen it at smoking/fresh air stops where they let passengers detrain. The car attendent wouldn't/shouldn't let you off at shorter stops anyway.

Of course, if somebody tried to open up the other side of the car other than the one being used for boarding to get to their window, the crew would have major objections to that.

busboy,

I get your reasoning about riding in the lower level, to clean your window. And obviously you mean the outside, but are passengers allowed to do that themselves, and is it possible to reach the total area? Do you do that at your point of departure or enroute at a stop?

Just curious, it seems to me that the crew on the train would frown upon that.
I have cleaned my lower level window on many occasions using Windex pads on Superliners. I have also done so on single level trains at high level platform stations. Never faced a problem with it.

At least once I even recruited the help of the SCA to clean a window on the side of the train away from the boarding side for me. Naturally he got an additional tip for doing it for me.

Thanks zephyr17 and jis, very interesting.

And zephyr17, my goodness, you have been on a lot of different rails.

The only train that I have ridden is the Coast Starlight, I am envious!

busboy,

I get your reasoning about riding in the lower level, to clean your window. And obviously you mean the outside, but are passengers allowed to do that themselves, and is it possible to reach the total area? Do you do that at your point of departure or enroute at a stop? Just curious, it seems to me that the crew on the train would frown upon that.
I don't think the staff tend to notice or care what the windows look like. If anything they'd probably have a hearty laugh if you tried to clean the upper windows. God forbid you try to walk anywhere along the closed side of the train though. They'll throw a fit worthy of watching a toddler falling into a lion's den.

As long as the SCA helps you and opens it up himself, no worries (although I imagine it is against the rules). They'd have pretty strong objections to doing that on your own, though.
Amtrak seems to object to anything which demonstrates visible evidence of self determination.

busboy,

I get your reasoning about riding in the lower level, to clean your window. And obviously you mean the outside, but are passengers allowed to do that themselves, and is it possible to reach the total area? Do you do that at your point of departure or enroute at a stop? Just curious, it seems to me that the crew on the train would frown upon that.
I don't think the staff tend to notice or care what the windows look like. If anything they'd probably have a hearty laugh if you tried to clean the upper windows. God forbid you try to walk anywhere along the closed side of the train though. They'll throw a fit worthy of watching a toddler falling into a lion's den.

As long as the SCA helps you and opens it up himself, no worries (although I imagine it is against the rules). They'd have pretty strong objections to doing that on your own, though.
Amtrak seems to object to anything which demonstrates visible evidence of self determination.
I don't have a problem with them objecting to opening doors on the opposite side of the train from the boarding side or walking around the end to the other side. That's an obvious safety hazard in many cases.

On my last Zephyr trip I asked the attendant at Emeryville if there was any way the railfan window could be cleaned. He said he couldn't, and the conductor wouldn't, but that he'd ask a fellow at Reno if he could do that. Sure enough, at Reno the fellow—I suspect he was the car knocker—came through the car, opened the door, and cleaned the window. I was glued to it for most of the rest of the trip and got some pretty good photos. Naturally the attendant got a handsome tip at the end of the trip.

Just ask. It might happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back