Sleepers.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Greg Williams

I'll be traveling on train #59 from HMW to Haz on 08/31/05 and returning on train #58 on 09/04/05. Going I'll be in car 5900 in room 008. Returning I'll be in car 5809 room 017. Amtrak told me room 017 is in a transtional sleeper. Can someone tell me the difference between a transitional sleeper and a regular sleeper.

Thanks for your help.

Greg Williams

Greg,

As far as the room goes, there is not much difference. About the only thing I noticed is instead of the narrow closet with a door, there is a recessed area with hangers and a spot for towels. Down the hall, on either side of the aisle, there are two separate restrooms with a shower in each.

Hope this helps.

Are there any floorplans for this type of car anywhere for viewing. Thanks for the reply.

Greg Williams

Ok, the transition sleeper is actually the crew dorm, where the crew sleeps and hangs out and what not. Crew members tend to have mixed feelings about it as far as I know. A few years ago amtrak began selling rooms in the dorm on certain trains to create extra space and increase revenue. The rooms are the same as far as I know, except the only trans. dorm/sleepers that they have are superliner IIs. The reason that it is called the "transition" sleeper is because on one end of the car there is a door which will connect to an upper level car, and the bottom level door will connect to a lower level car, therefore making a transition from upper to lower levels.

Hope this helps.

Jon Parker

I thought the "transition" part meant that it has a lower-level door and threshold system on one end to allow personnel transfer to and from single level equipment at that end, and the upper-level standard door and threshold system at the other end to allow personnel movement to other Superliner equipment.

takeatrain said:
Greg,
As far as the room goes, there is not much difference. About the only thing I noticed is instead of the narrow closet with a door, there is a recessed area with hangers and a spot for towels.
Actually, that's a feature that all Superliner II sleepers have, be they transition sleepers or regular sleepers. I like that a bit better than the mini closet which is too small to really put anything in.

Another difference is that the Superliner IIs have the steps (which are used to access the top bunk in the room) blend into the wall, as opposed to Superliner Is where the steps are separate from the wall (leaving a small gap). On Superliner IIs, I can put tickets, papers, change, etc. on the steps without worrying about it falling into the tiny crack between the steps and the wall.

I would like to thank everyone for the infomation on the transition sleeper. I haven't taken a long distance rail trip in about ten years. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks again.

Greg Williams

Back