Sleeping Car – Non-Berth Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dart330

OBS Chief
I was getting ready to ask if there was any way to book 4 adults in a bedroom or family bedroom for a daytime trip. I then saw the post with the Amtrak Service Manual and there was the information.

8. Sleeping Car – Non-Berth Servicea) For non-berth service (use seats only – no beds) in Sleeping Car accommodations, the maximum allowable number of passengers permitted to occupy the room is shown in the following chart.

Sleeper_Car_Non_Berth_Service_Chart.jpg

• Although this situation usually occurs during daytime travel, this policy is based on the use of the accommodation – not the time of day or night.

For example, under normal conditions three passengers can be booked in a Bedroom because the room sleeps one in the regular berth and two in the large berth. If, however, four passengers want to travel in the room and use it for seating only, three can sit on the sofa and one in the chair. Therefore, the maximum number of passengers increases from three (regular use) to four (non-berth service).

b) On-board upgrades.

• The Conductor or Assistant Conductor will show passengers the room and explain that seats only – no berths – will be used.

• A rail fare must be collected from each passenger in addition to one accommodation charge. The “not more than two child fares per adult fare” rule applies.

• Each person in the room, up to the maximum permitted, will receive complimentary meals in the Dining Car.
This is exactly what I would like to do with 4 people in a bedroom. Has anyone every successfully done this? Would also be great if it is allowed through AGR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called to try and book a trip and was told that it is not possible. Specifically said non-berth, just using the 4 seats in the room.

I imagine most agents have never heard of this policy...

4 adults in a Family bedroom isn't possible as two beds are fit for kids. Four adults in a Bedroom suite is what you would want to do.
I am talking strictly non-bed usage. There are 4 seats in a bedroom, want to book 4 adults for a day long trip. The policy quoted above specifically states that it is possible.

Call back and try again. If your still told 'no', ask for a supervisor. Tell the supervisor what you want and explain to them where you got the information that this is 'legal' to do. I've not tried to book what your seeking, and I don't know if you'll get what you want, but I think this would be your 'best bet'.

4 adults in a Family bedroom isn't possible as two beds are fit for kids. Four adults in a Bedroom suite is what you would want to do.
I am talking strictly non-bed usage. There are 4 seats in a bedroom, want to book 4 adults for a day long trip. The policy quoted above specifically states that it is possible.
Your point is well taken and I suggest you call again to speak to another agent and hope for better results. For the heck of it, I tried to book a similar request on the Amtrak site with negative results. Specifically it was a "day trip" on the Crescent from ATL to NOL for a bedroom with 4 passengers. I was prompted with the following statement "Problem with Selected Accommodations: The accommodation you have selected is too small to accommodate the number of people traveling. Please select a different accommodation or increase the number of accommodations. Or, for additional assistance, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) [Error ID:116A]".

As you previously stated, most agents probably never heard of the non-berth service in a sleeping car. Maybe speaking to a supervisor and quoting the non-berth policy would help in your quest. Just a thought. Good luck.

If is it for more than 2 people in the sleeper (or 2 adults and 2 children in a Family Room), you MUST call to book - you can not book online! If it is for a day trip, explain the rule, and you may get away with it.

For the heck of it, I tried to book a similar request on the Amtrak site with negative results. Specifically it was a "day trip" on the Crescent from ATL to NOL for a bedroom with 4 passengers.
With the way schedules are being disrupted these days on some trains, a “day trip” just might turn in to an overnighter! It happened to me about a month ago, and I was glad I decided to get the sleeper. I got three meals and lots of sleep on a day trip that was only 400 miles. I was on-board so long that I almost made it to breakfast the next day! :wacko:

I called to try and book a trip and was told that it is not possible. Specifically said non-berth, just using the 4 seats in the room.

I imagine most agents have never heard of this policy...
Perhaps you could tell the agent or supervisor what page and paragraph in the Amtrak Services Manual authorizes this, and that you are willing to wait on the phone while they verify that; or if you are close to a station with ticket agents, print that page; go to the station and show the agent in person that this arrangement is authorized.

I was getting ready to ask if there was any way to book 4 adults in a bedroom or family bedroom for a daytime trip. I then saw the post with the Amtrak Service Manual and there was the information.

8. Sleeping Car – Non-Berth Servicea) For non-berth service (use seats only – no beds) in Sleeping Car accommodations, the maximum allowable number of passengers permitted to occupy the room is shown in the following chart.

(Chart shows 3, 4, & 5 adults allowed in a family bedroom and 3 & 4 adults allowed in a bedroom)

• Although this situation usually occurs during daytime travel, this policy is based on the use of the accommodation – not the time of day or night.

For example, under normal conditions three passengers can be booked in a Bedroom because the room sleeps one in the regular berth and two in the large berth. If, however, four passengers want to travel in the room and use it for seating only, three can sit on the sofa and one in the chair. Therefore, the maximum number of passengers increases from three (regular use) to four (non-berth service).

b) On-board upgrades.

• The Conductor or Assistant Conductor will show passengers the room and explain that seats only – no berths – will be used.

• A rail fare must be collected from each passenger in addition to one accommodation charge. The “not more than two child fares per adult fare” rule applies.

• Each person in the room, up to the maximum permitted, will receive complimentary meals in the Dining Car.
This is exactly what I would like to do with 4 people in a bedroom. Has anyone every successfully done this? Would also be great if it is allowed through AGR.
Hehe, you all are gonna drive Amtrak employees nuts with this manual. Ha!

We've encountered 3 adults in a bedroom but mostly during daylight hours. On the AutoTrain it is common to see 2 adults and a child in a bedroom but we've never seen 3 adults sharing one probably due to the fact that it's a non-stop largely overnight route. Unless the people in the bedroom are on the small side you'd be very cramped in there. My wife and myself are both 6' tall and you just aren't getting more than two adults in our room.

We just completed a 4 day trip with a bedroom suite. During the day we mostly all sat in one room, 3 on the couch and 1 in the chair as we shared our private stock and enjoyed the scenery. We only needed the 2nd room for sleeping.

I got the same agent 3 calls in a row, so I am going to try again tomorrow and use the suggestions above.

I was so happy to see this. We often travel 3 adults in a BR - since we have a large family (7). When we took the Auto train last August my son could not make it - which worked out as far as points. I used two 20,000 BR awards for two BRs (3 daughters in one, and my wife and I, and our 10 year old daughter in our BR).

But we could use this to take four people to NYC on the Silver Star. The Star hits Richmond at about 12:30 PM os so - and gets up to NYP at about 7 PM. With this policy we could opt for Silver Service (20,000 points) over Northeast Direct (12,000 points for 4 coach seats). Then we could all enjoy lunch in the diner.

I like the larger windows in the Viewliner Sleepers. Plus - our own private restroom and sink. And bottled water too. :)

If, however, four passengers want to travel in the room and use it for seating only, three can sit on the sofa and one in the chair. Therefore, the maximum number of passengers increases from three (regular use) to four (non-berth service).
Is "non-berth service" AMTRAK-speak for a day-time only booking? Where, your origin and your destination would need to be on the same day, and not overnight?

Can we put 4 in a BR if the chair has been removed? :unsure: Happened to me on the LSL - wifey wanted to streach out on the couch but I had nowhere to sit. :help:

An example of that option is the Silver Meteor - Departs Richmond at 4:30 AM and arrives at NYP at around 10:30 or 11 AM. Although it is dark - the 4 adults would have only seating in the BR on the sofa (3) and the reclining chair (1). But I guess they all get breakfast when the diner opens.

The upgrade fee on that train for a Tuesday AM in December shows $215 for the bedroom. But that would include breakfast for 4 in the diner. The AGR 20,000 award would include rail passage for all 4 of $119 each - plus theBedroom. But I do wonder if the AGR agent would actually go for this? The total cost is about right - $119 x 4 = $476 plus $215. The total is $691. Not really the best use of points - but if they did allow you to use points, it would be a better use - if it was last minute, and the fares were higher (high bucket).

No. From the part quoted above:

Well, then this doesn't make sense to me. Why would someone book a bedroom, but commit to only "non-berth" usage (ie, no night-time configuration requested/allowed), if traveling overnight?

Because if we're a party of 4, it's slightly nicer to sleep in a chair in a room where it's just the 4 of us? Use of a private bathroom/shower would be nice, as well as the ability to bring along a little private stock if its "that kind" of a trip?

It doesn't necessarily have to be overnight, either - what if I'm taking a train from 6 PM until 2 AM, and I just plan on staying awake until I'm off the train?

I would not book it for an overnighter, but there are still several advantages to sitting in a bedroom over coach.

-private stock (booze) & ice

-private bathroom

-all meals included

-priority boarding

-1st class lounge access

The trip I am looking at, the bedroom is $165 for the day. 4 people with 2 meals each and it has almost paid for itself, plus we can legally bring our own alcohol and not try to sneak it in coach.

Another example - Atlanta to NOL - all day across the deep south on the Crescent. Usually a few BRs available once they depart Atlanta. Or four people in Birmingham could hop over to New Orleans for the evening. Nice way to get there...

Add to that - NOL to Memphis.

Another example - Atlanta to NOL - all day across the deep south on the Crescent. Usually a few BRs available once they depart Atlanta.
The last time I took the Crescent I was impressed by the large number of sleeper passengers who boarded at Atlanta bound for New Orleans. I had assumed the low roomette rates you often see meant that the cars traveled nearly empty. I was wrong, at least on that day.

Another example: New York to Alexandria on the Crescent. You get to use the Club Acela, you don't worry about boarding, and you get dinner in the diner, all for significantly less than Acela First Class.

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked the AGR Insider about this on FlyerTalk and she stated that it is not allowed to be booked on an award trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back