sleeping car climate control

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mflsjhs

Service Attendant
doing cross country round trip SWC and LSL NYP-LAX all in roomettes curious about temperature in roomettes i know the viewliner bedrooms are like ovens in the summer but dont know what the roomettes are like on either dont like to be overly hot so keeping my fingers crossed

doing cross country round trip SWC and LSL NYP-LAX all in roomettes curious about temperature in roomettes i know the viewliner bedrooms are like ovens in the summer but dont know what the roomettes are like on either dont like to be overly hot so keeping my fingers crossed
Maybe I've just been lucky but, of the 9 or so LD trains that I've ridden in the last 2 years, I remember 1 roomette being uncomfortably hot and one being uncomfortably cold. Since the SCAs have extra blankets available, the latter is more easily solved. In summer, during the daytime, if you're riding on the sunny side of the car (south side) there are times when you must choose between drawing the curtain or keeping the door open to the hallway. Also, the SCAs do have some car-level controls that they can adjust. Talk with them. If one room or rommette has broken controls you may be able to switch to another one.

Good luck. Should be a beautiful trip. -- Phil S

I don't think those knobs are connected to ANYTHING

This would make for a good episode of Myth Busters

I've only ever been in two Superliner accommodations where the heater control knob actually did something. One was the handicap room downstairs and the other was a bedroom. The rest? Completely non-functional.

In Viewliners, the thermostat has always worked wonders! Never had a non-functional one, in both roomettes and bedroom. And I really like the listed temp ranges, even if it may be a placebo, instead of the simple "Hotter-Colder" on the Superliners.

AC is a totally different animal. Really not much control other than just adjusting how much airflow you have. If the air is not very cold to begin with, you're powerless.

On my ride on the CS last year, the heater knob didn't work and the heat was on full blast the entire time. My bedroom was VERY warm, so warm that it was tough for me to sit in with the door closed. I ended up spending a ton of time in the PPC so it wasn't a big deal, but it was really really hot for sleeping.

In my experience with Superliner cars, only the air-flow lever on the ceiling does anything. One time my wife and I were roasting in our roomette, but the SCA moved us to a different one, which was fine. Go figure.

In my experience with Superliner cars, only the air-flow lever on the ceiling does anything. One time my wife and I were roasting in our roomette, but the SCA moved us to a different one, which was fine. Go figure.
I had an experience on a Superliner roomette where I could not turn off the air flow from the

ceiling outlet. The lever did not stop the cold air so I stuffed towels into the grille to

stop the air. It worked!!

I had an experience on a Superliner roomette where I could not turn off the air flow from the

ceiling outlet. The lever did not stop the cold air so I stuffed towels into the grille to

That lever is only supposed to greatly diminish the flow, not stop it entirely.

That lever is only supposed to greatly diminish the flow, not stop it entirely.
I've been in a number of roomettes where the lever was disconnected. But I like generally like things cool, so didn't care all that much.

One advantage of the old heritage sleepers--if the a/c was inadequate, at least you had a good old compact, yet powerful ceiling fan that was very reliable.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back