Slow Down and Spare the Planet

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
Everyone knows easing up on the accelerator can improve your fuel economy and reduce your emissions. But what kind of impact would it have on the environment if everyone had to slow down?

A potentially big one, as it turns out.

Dutch researchers say lowering the speed limit to 80 km/h (50 mph) would cut transportation-related CO2 emissions by 30 percent.

Less drastic cuts in maximum speed would yield reductions of 8 to 21 percent, according to the study by CE Delft.

Full Story

Everyone knows easing up on the accelerator can improve your fuel economy and reduce your emissions. But what kind of impact would it have on the environment if everyone had to slow down?
A potentially big one, as it turns out.

Dutch researchers say lowering the speed limit to 80 km/h (50 mph) would cut transportation-related CO2 emissions by 30 percent.

Less drastic cuts in maximum speed would yield reductions of 8 to 21 percent, according to the study by CE Delft.

Full Story
I've heard this argument before, from Jimmy Carter. We all know how well that worked out.

I've heard this argument before, from Jimmy Carter. We all know how well that worked out.
Yeah, it cut down on waste and emissions until we repealed it. Just as proper inflation of tires has a substantial impact on consumption as well. Not that I'd ever try explaining that to your average anti-efficiency, pro-waste American.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it cut down on waste and emissions until we repealed it. Just as proper inflation of tires has a substantial impact on consumption as well. Not that I'd ever try explaining that to your average anti-efficiency, pro-waste American.
I normally accelerate slowly; I like to keep my RPMs to 2,500 or less, to conserve fuel. So what happens to me every time I drive is that the twenty-year-old pickup truck behind me whose engine sounds louder than a rock concert zips around me at maximum acceleration. That truck's driver is normal in the US, and it was loud complaining by people like that which ended the 55MPH speed limit. People like to drive fast, and they don't think about the consequences to the environment or their budget. Thus this proposal will fall on deaf ears here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask the people along the Gulf Coast if they still believe that "Drill,Baby Drill!" is the answer to our energy needs!
help.gif
Global Warming might not be the correct word to convince the junk science crowd," Worldwide Climate Change" describes it better!(and it's definitely not for the better, when they gonna wake up?)
ohmy.gif

Last edited:
Ask the people along the Gulf Coast if they still believe that "Drill,Baby Drill!" is the answer to our energy needs!
help.gif
Global Warming might not be the correct word to convince the junk science crowd," Worldwide Climate Change" describes it better!(and it's definitely not for the better, when they gonna wake up?)
ohmy.gif
They won't, that's the problem. They'll be long dead and leave me and my kids to deal with the mess.

Back