Small dog on amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillVasi

Train Attendant
My friend has a very small teacup yorkie.... she is bound and determined to take the yorkie on amtrak with us. We usually always get a roomette or bedroom??? Anyone have a small dog that Amtrak did allow???

My friend has a very small teacup yorkie.... she is bound and determined to take the yorkie on amtrak with us. We usually always get a roomette or bedroom??? Anyone have a small dog that Amtrak did allow???
Small, big, fat, thin, black, white doesn't matter. Amtrak policy is no dogs allowed on board unless it is a service animal.

nancy_just_say_no1.jpg

The only animals allowed on-board are service animals. If she insists on bringing the dog, you won't be able to board (well, she won't). If she does get the dog on-board and is discovered, she could very well be asked to de-train at the next station stop.

Please tell her it isn't worth the risk.

It is stated clearly on Amtrak's passenger rules and policies that no animals are allowed on Amtrak unless it is a service animal. Especially states no "comfort" animals. Nobody can take a mere pet on Amtrak or will be expelled from the train. PERIOD!

This issue came up on Via Rail last week and hit the national news.

Canadian music star, Jann Arden took (snuck?) her mini-pooch in her bag on a Toronto-Ottawa trip and was kicked off the train at Oshawa, about an hour into the journey. She was bad-mouthing Via and Oshawa on Twitter, big time. Via's policy is clear on this and no doubt mirrors Amtrak's, guide dogs only.

There are many issues, lots of people have allergies, where does the dog do it's business and so on.

Via will take dogs in the baggage cars (on trains so equipped) when the dog is in an appropriate container.

G.

My son takes his toy Yorkie on airplane trips all the time and its no problem at all. However, ever since Amtrak took over the National Passenger Railroad system, pets have been banned. We have a cat and would love to take him along in a bedroom. WE could set up a small portable throw-a-way litter box put food out and she would be very happy to take the trip but again the policy doesn't allow for it. Its not worth taking a chance of being ejected from the train just to take your animal along.

I am allergic to cats so if someone brought their cat and it was the same room as mine, I would sneeze a lot, maybe loose my voice and eyes would water.

So long as it's a dog and your friend is willing to lie Amtrak can't do anything about it.

My son takes his toy Yorkie on airplane trips all the time and its no problem at all. However, ever since Amtrak took over the National Passenger Railroad system, pets have been banned.
This is not altogether true. Pets were allowed to travel as baggage at the start of Amtrak, but federal regulations about care for animals changed to teh point that Amtrak decided it was too expensive or impractical both to continue to do so.

On a trip on the Texas Eagle a couple of years ago, a woman boarded in Fort Worth with a chihuahua. She and her family had a bedroom and rode from Fort Worth to Ontario. The dog was no problem, but the woman was a pain in the butt. I'd have rather she got booted than the dog. :lol:

So long as it's a dog and your friend is willing to lie Amtrak can't do anything about it.

Amtrak and even its Conductor sure can do something about it, you and the mutt will get off at next station, and no refund.

Amtrak and even its Conductor sure can do something about it, you and the mutt will get off at next station, and no refund.
Do you have an example of a person willing to lie about their dog being a service animal and still being kicked off anyway? So far as I'm aware Amtrak staff can only ask if it's a service animal and what service it performs. That's the end of the discussion, by law. So long as you're willing to lie there is nothing else Amtrak can do about it. There is no exception provided for dealing with liars or cheats who make up bogus stories in order to abuse the system. It's just a bunch of honor system nonsense. Unless and until the liars inadvertently "out" themselves in front of a staff member Amtrak's hands are tied.

Do you have an example of a person willing to lie about their dog being a service animal and still being kicked off anyway? So far as I'm aware Amtrak staff can only ask if it's a service animal and what service it performs. That's the end of the discussion, by law. So long as you're willing to lie there is nothing else Amtrak can do about it. There is no exception provided for dealing with liars or cheats who make up bogus stories in order to abuse the system. It's just a bunch of honor system nonsense. Unless and until the liars inadvertently "out" themselves in front of a staff member Amtrak's hands are tied.
What do you think the OP's friend will answer to the disablity?

What do you think the OP's friend will answer to the disablity?
Maybe she'll say the dog whimpers when it's time to check her makeup. Or it barks a warning when she's about to walk off a cliff. Or drops a tiny little brown brick when a real dog is approaching. Or maybe she'll just shove it down in her purse and pretend nothing is in there. I can't really say as I've never really understood the mind of a toy dog owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back