Smoking on Trip from FAY NC to SAN DIEGO CA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duke_gal_05

Train Attendant
I was reading an earlier post regarding smoking stops for different trains. My GOAL is to use this trip to STOP SMOKING.... Out of my normal routine, my "favorite" times to smoke etc plus limited spaces and times to smoke should be a BREEZE RIGHT???? :blink: I am not going completely COLD TURKEY :wacko: ... plan on using Chantix as an aide as well :) ... Any advice here? I am one who only smokes outside even at home even in 20 degree weather.... I don't smoke if I am in any area that doesn't allow it and I only smoke in designated areas and NO I don't throw down my cigarette butts. LOL Just wondering what your thoughts on this might be for me. THANKS>

Just wanted to send good thoughts your way on your goal!

Good idea! Perhaps quitting groups should advocate this method.
smile.gif

I hope you have success in your goal!
smile.gif
My sister also used Chantix - and she is well over 1 year smoke free! (After 40 years!)

And look at it this way - less money spent on "the evil weed" means more money for future train trips!
biggrin.gif

I was reading an earlier post regarding smoking stops for different trains. My GOAL is to use this trip to STOP SMOKING.... Out of my normal routine, my "favorite" times to smoke etc plus limited spaces and times to smoke should be a BREEZE RIGHT???? :blink: I am not going completely COLD TURKEY :wacko: ... plan on using Chantix as an aide as well :) ... Any advice here? I am one who only smokes outside even at home even in 20 degree weather.... I don't smoke if I am in any area that doesn't allow it and I only smoke in designated areas and NO I don't throw down my cigarette butts. LOL Just wondering what your thoughts on this might be for me. THANKS>
If you are not going cold turkey, you might consider this:

If your train is close to being on time and you are at a smoking stop, ask the conductor (probably before the stop) when the next one is. If you think you can make it, go for it and skip the smoke.

If your train is quite late and you don't think you can make it, take the break. Again, check if the next stop will be even further late or if time will be made up. If the latter case then try skipping that next stop.

I have found that a friendly joke or appreciative comment to the conductor will often put him in the mood to spend a moment with you so you can explain what you are trying to do. Just don't bug him when he is really busy.

That means that ~5% of all transportation jobs are female!
rolleyes.gif
(Or are some of those jobs for "its"?
huh.gif
)

BTW - I'm male, and I've seen plenty of female conductors and AC's!

Last edited by a moderator:
That means that ~5% of all transportation jobs are female!
rolleyes.gif
(Or are some of those jobs for "its"?
huh.gif
)

BTW - I'm male, and I've seen plenty of female conductors and AC's!

THANKS to everyone for the support and suggestions...I have been told various things about Chantix from people who have taken it... a little skeptical about using it on this time but listening to others about being out of your normal routine seems to be the most useful...SO AMTRAK TAKE ME AWAY :p

Back in Y2K I quit on a train trip from Toronto to Halifax cold turkey after 30 years of two pack a day smoking. A number of things lined up to make this possible. My new gf was travelling with me and disliked smoking as did the relatives we were staying with at the destination. I had the goal of stopping at the start of 2000, all the other incentives fell into place.

It took many months for me to adjust to as I really loved smoking and since I had active, physical (rail) jobs, wasn't noticing the bad health effects as much as someone inactive would. It was the toughest thing I ever had to do. The big trick is that you must never have a smoke again, not even one or you'll be right back at it. The other weird thing is that for a few years after, I had dreams that I started smoking again that were so real that I woke up thinking I'd blown it.

Good luck, if you are determined it will happen.

Back in Y2K I quit on a train trip from Toronto to Halifax cold turkey after 30 years of two pack a day smoking. A number of things lined up to make this possible. My new gf was travelling with me and disliked smoking as did the relatives we were staying with at the destination. I had the goal of stopping at the start of 2000, all the other incentives fell into place.

It took many months for me to adjust to as I really loved smoking and since I had active, physical (rail) jobs, wasn't noticing the bad health effects as much as someone inactive would. It was the toughest thing I ever had to do. The big trick is that you must never have a smoke again, not even one or you'll be right back at it. The other weird thing is that for a few years after, I had dreams that I started smoking again that were so real that I woke up thinking I'd blown it.

Good luck, if you are determined it will happen.

I AM DETERMINED :cool: ... I have been giving it alot of thought since I first started planning my train trip back in January :eek:hboy: And realized how few and far between the smoke breaks would be on the trip... AND 6 months seems like a long way to wait to quit... but I wanted to prepare myself and also THAT is the DATE I have set.... MY Official date is going to be JUNE 19...Yes Father's Day... A tribute to my dad that I lost back in 2009 just before his birthday ... He had asked ...MORE LIKE TOLD :blush: ...me I needed to quit. He had smoked since he was a young boy and when he decided to quit ... he DID .. COMPLETELY Cold Turkey and NO He did not have LUNG CANCER (pancreatic/liver cancer).... So this is definitely when I want to do this.... June 19 is the date we roll into San Diego to see my step daughter and grandson and son in law :D ... She is giving birth to our new grandson :wub: somewhere the end of June first of July SO NO SMOKING there Thank you for sharing your story and for your encouragement. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back