Snack/Drink Service Protocol (Surfliner)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaseMeBro

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I take the Surfliner RT a few times a month between the LA area and Santa Barbara.

My impression is that in Biz, shortly after boarding, the car attendant will come around and offer a snack/snackbox and drink. That seems to be the way it is the majority of the time, at least.

Every once in a while, there'll be no service at all. Fluke/inconsistency/other, I'm not sure. Not a huge deal to me either way.

Today, when I boarded, she said "help yourself to coffee and snacks upstairs". That, again, is fine with me.

A few minutes later, I went to get a coffee, and seeing the sign saying "ask for help", I asked if it was okay for me to serve myself (she was seated across from the coffee). Was told to go ahead.

Perhaps at-seat service is part of the Biz class ticket, but I'm totally fine pouring my own coffee if allowed.

What is, though, the official policy for snack and drink service and distribution?

I ask because, several months ago, I opened the cabinet below the coffeemaker for a bottle of water, and nearly got my head bitten off by the attendant who dashed up the stairs to stop me. (As I had looked for an attendant beforehand, perhaps he was in the restroom).

I completely understand they have controls and policy for alcholic drinks (Biz class wine), but how is it "supposed" to work?

Last edited:
Service on board any trains remotely associated with Amtrak are based on what the crew decides is what they want to do that day independent of any standards or management requirements since management doesn't care enough to do anything more than approve a standard then wash their hands.

Since when does "official policy" have anything to do the actual delivery of onboard service on Amtrak?

I've said it many times before here. Inconsistency of onboard service is the worst problem Amtrak has that is wholly under its control.

PS, the "Blue Book" service standards manual is available for download on Amtrak.com thanks to an FOIA request. Read it once in while for a good laugh. An example, the cafe is supposed to open immediately upon departure from the station of origin. They are not supposed to announce a wait before tickets are lifted, either.

What is, though, the official policy for snack and drink service and distribution?
I think that question might have to be answered by Amtrak since the most we can do is tell you what we've seen or read in a potentially outdated rulebook. I'd be curious what they would say if you called and asked but the current call delays make that an impractical option and email does not seem to go anywhere.

I think that question might have to be answered by Amtrak since the most we can do is tell you what we've seen or read in a potentially outdated rulebook. I'd be curious what they would say if you called and asked but the current call delays make that an impractical option and email does not seem to go anywhere.
Why not write a letter to your congressional representative or Senator and ask if they could find out? (You can say that Amtrak has been unresponsive to your request.) Even though Amtrak isn't exactly of government agency, I bet that the management will pay more attention toa question from the Hill than from a citizen. I know that's how it worked in the agency where I worked. Of course, doing another FOIA will also get their attention.

That said, in my opinion, it's a little excessive to get upset over whether your snack box gets delivered to your seat or whether you have to go to the counter to collect it, as long as you get it. There are probably good reasons, especially in these days of staff shortages, that OBS needs a little flexibility in how they provide service. And even then, I'd me more concerned about the mechanical condition of the train and safe and timely operation on a convenient schedule then whether I get to feed my face on what's a relatively short ride.

...An example, the cafe is supposed to open immediately upon departure from the station of origin. They are not supposed to announce a wait before tickets are lifted, either.

I think I've got it from context, but does "lift tickets" mean when your ticket is scanned, and the tag placed over the seat?

As an example, I'm on the Surfliner as we speak. Started from San Diego, ticket was scanned upon boarding. Within a few minutes of leaving SAN, the cafe attendant was on the PA, announced the cafe was open, and then said something like "If you'd be so kind, please allow the conductor to scan your ticket before coming to see me"

...That said, in my opinion, it's a little excessive to get upset over whether your snack box gets delivered to your seat or whether you have to go to the counter to collect it, as long as you get it. ... I get to feed my face on what's a relatively short ride.

Sorry, didn't mean to take your time with the question. I certainly wasn't upset over the timing of the snack box being delivered, or not being able to "feed my face". Having been thoroughly admonished on an earlier trip for taking a bottle of water, but then expressly told to help myself on another, I was hoping for an answer which could best be applied to avoid onboard friction.

Last edited:
Since when does "official policy" have anything to do the actual delivery of onboard service on Amtrak?

I've said it many times before here. Inconsistency of onboard service is the worst problem Amtrak has that is wholly under its control.

PS, the "Blue Book" service standards manual is available for download on Amtrak.com thanks to an FOIA request. Read it once in while for a good laugh. An example, the cafe is supposed to open immediately upon departure from the station of origin. They are not supposed to announce a wait before tickets are lifted, either.
And today the cafe attendant said the cafe would close at 11, then said 10:30 right after

Back