So glad that im taking the train instead of driving..

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TishaNola

Train Attendant
So many years the weather has been bad between New Orleans and the upper metro dc area , and I see so many accidents along the road .. I really am glad to be taking the train to new jersey this year for Thanksgiving. Its such a long drive from here to Jersey .. Taking the train I will be able to give my daughter attention and relax .. I just feel so much more at ease thinking of taking the train instead of driving and thoughts of flat tires and other non safe drivers and getting a hotel half way the price of gas...

Me too! When my husband told me that his cousin was planning on a "mini-family reunion" for Thanksgiving, I thought, "Oh no! I don't want to travel that weekend!" It's only from Chico to Oxnard, but this time of year the route is famous for the dreaded Tule Fog. So when he told me to get reservations on the Coast Starlight, my mood immediately changed. 15 hours on a train beats 10 hours in a car any day.

Me too! When my husband told me that his cousin was planning on a "mini-family reunion" for Thanksgiving, I thought, "Oh no! I don't want to travel that weekend!" It's only from Chico to Oxnard, but this time of year the route is famous for the dreaded Tule Fog. So when he told me to get reservations on the Coast Starlight, my mood immediately changed. 15 hours on a train beats 10 hours in a car any day.
Yeah, I do remember about the Tule fog. Tule fog won't give them a sunshine for about a month in a row! It's more dreadful than in Seattle!

So many years the weather has been bad between New Orleans and the upper metro dc area , and I see so many accidents along the road .. I really am glad to be taking the train to new jersey this year for Thanksgiving. Its such a long drive from here to Jersey .. Taking the train I will be able to give my daughter attention and relax .. I just feel so much more at ease thinking of taking the train instead of driving and thoughts of flat tires and other non safe drivers and getting a hotel half way the price of gas...
The Crescent is a decent route. We didn't want to drive to NOL either as its a 24 hour drive from here one way. Have done it before and it can be tiring. We decided to head to NOL by train in June to save 1000 miles of driving which would have cost us about $400 each way with food, gas and one overnight hotel stay. We booked a bedroom and the cost was only $65 more(each way) than driving and far more relaxing. Our trip on the Crecent was comfortable and the scenic part over lake Ponchartrain (that you will experience within 15 minutes of departing NOL) is really breathtaking.

IIRC its a 26 hour trip from NOL to WAS. If it fits your budget, and subject to availability, you might consider booking a sleeper onboard. It will add to the comfort of the trip but its not a necessity. Coach seats offer plenty of room to recline and relax. Food in the dining car is expensive so you might want to take along a cooler with some sandwiches and drinks, at least for the first day. You should arrive relaxed and refreshed. Have fun bring a pilow and enjoy the trip.

One of the reasons I ride the train is my husband's driving makes me crazy. He's an old fighter pilot and thinks everyone on the road is out to get in his way and slow him down. "Speed limits are for suckers." Riding with him is exhausting. I get on a train, settle into my roomette, and relax all the way.

And then there's the TSA and the ridiculous security carnival at airports. I now go by train whenever possible.

I would much rather relax on the train for seven hours than spend four or five hours driving through wintry conditions with a million other drivers. I would LOVE if they extended the Pere Marquette from Grand Rapids to Mackinac City. I'd visit my family a LOT more often. ;)

I would much rather relax on the train for seven hours than spend four or five hours driving through wintry conditions with a million other drivers. I would LOVE if they extended the Pere Marquette from Grand Rapids to Mackinac City. I'd visit my family a LOT more often. ;)
Why just to Mackinac City? Make it go over the bridge to the Soo or other points northward ;)

Of course anything west of say Manistique might make more sense to run a train up through Wisconsin (as you can currently book an Amtrak ticket from Houghton and Marquette, but you're taking Indian Trails or another Amtrak bus down from the UP through the cheese state)

But I agree if the extended the Pere Marquette northward, I'd totally take a day trip up there just to ride the train through northern Lower Michigan, it's quite scenic up there
laugh.gif

EDIT: I think there are still tracks extending westward out of Grand Rapids too, so it'd be really nice to be able to catch the train from Muskegon or Coopersville vs having to go to Grand Rapids or Holland...but I can dream right? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a great trip. Train travel is relaxing. We usually travel by train out of state.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why just to Mackinac City? Make it go over the bridge to the Soo or other points northward ;)
It would be nice, but can you imagine the money that would have to go into constructing a separate bridge for the train to cross the straits?
unsure.gif

It would be nice, but can you imagine the money that would have to go into constructing a separate bridge for the train to cross the straits?
unsure.gif
nah just run it attached to the Mackinac bridge. Almost like a tunnel! Haha how scary would that be, feeling the train sway back and forth in a somewhat enclosed space, since the bridge sways 25 feet in both directions...

ooh! Run Amtrak up to Mackinaw city, then have a tourist rail across the bridge in the UP!

yes as the my trip is just two days away im getting more excited ! Along the driving route everytime i drive I see at least two pretty bad accidents.

When I was younger I didnt think twice about diving Now I love to relax and watch the world go by out the window. Plus on our way home we will get to have thanksgiving dinner with strangers!

Been eons since I've driven on any significant trip. Because of TSA, I've thought about it, but any chance I get to ride the train, I'm not taking out my car. I'm train trip-deprived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back