So, What's New?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VentureForth

Engineer
It's been 10 years since my last ride on a Superliner consist. Living in the Savannah area, it's been the longest I've ever lived in one house.

My interest in Amtrak has been minimal to modest in the last three or four years. I've managed to take about one trip here in the East every year.

But I long for the cross country adventure. I look forward to one day hopping a Superliner across the Rockies. I've still not experienced the Texas Eagle West of Fort Worth, or the SWC East of Lamy. Haven't yet been on the CZ or the EB.

Have there been any changes in the last 10 years out West? Rerouting the SWC never happened. No new equipment. Food has deteriorated, but is the condition of the equipment still good? ABQ still greet the 2 hour layover with window washers and bazzar-like street vendors?

Anything NEW that can be experienced?

I'll be honest here - Because of a VERY old spat with Bank of America, when Chase left the AGR program, I've not been able to get a new AGR card. Their points system discourages long distance rides, and I haven't used a sleeper car in over five years. I just hope I don't lose the few points I have left, so I need to take a trip.

Anyway, what's different out there?

The Texas Eagle west of Ft. Worth is amazing. Going down through Texas you'll come into San Antonio for a few hours while the train hooks up with the Sunset Ltd. Hopefully, you'll be able to sleep through this. When you wake up in the morning, you'll feel like you're in another world as the scenery changes to desert. Not having seen the desert since I was a kid, I found it mystical and beautiful.

The Empire Builder goes through beautiful mountainous regions from Seattle. Depending on when you travel, as you pass the Isaac Walton Inn watch for the entire staff of the Inn as they wave to the train from their stairs. You'll be able to see the lodge at Glacier Park. If you're vigilant, you'll see a moose or two, plus deer and antelope. Parts of the trip East of the mountains becomes somewhat monotonous as you come into farms. Lots of farms.

IMHO, the CZ is the pearl of the routes. If I had to choose between the CZ and the EB, it would be the CZ. You'll go through the most beautiful parts of the mountains into areas with breathtaking views in the high desert and gorgeous rock formations.

It has been many years since I was on the SWC, so this is best left to others.

I haven't had a spat with Bank of America, but a close relative lost their house during the beginning of the 2008 recession after the BOA bought out their mortgage and then wouldn't acknowledge the payments. A few years later, BOA "settled" for a paltry amount, which didn't come near to compensating for their losses. So I understand your dismay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. And please don't take this wrong - I appreciate your reply. But it's the same view as it's been for over 100 years. Kinda. I DO love riding off into the Sunset going West out of ABQ. My real question is how has Amtrak changed out West in the last 10 years?

The condition of the equipment is basically the same as it was 10 years ago. Needed repairs are done, but it seems there is always something that is overlooked. As you said, food has deteriorated as has service and ambiance. No more cloth table clothes and real dishes. No ice in the sleepers. But these are things you already know from being on the forum.

Well, I've seen the changes to the Silvers over the past decade. I haven't been in the forums much for a while. I'm glad they are keeping them mechanically sound (should I not seem surprised?).

Just sorta sad to see NO improvement in 10 years. :(

Well, I've seen the changes to the Silvers over the past decade. I haven't been in the forums much for a while. I'm glad they are keeping them mechanically sound (should I not seem surprised?).

Just sorta sad to see NO improvement in 10 years. :(
There are new baggage cars... but that doesn't really effect you that much.

peter

As you probably know from the rail forums,in addition to the decline in food in the Diner and the nickel and dime cuts on the LD Trains, Sleeper Fares have continued to rise and the Silver Starvation lost its Diner (will it ever return) and the CONO lost its Chef, the CCC now has heat and eat served by One OBS just like the Cardinal!

We are currently awaiting word on when the Loooooong delayed Viewliner IIs will appear, if ever.

With Winter weather here and the track work starting on the Crescent Route and in the West, Cancellations,Reroutes,Bustitutions and poor OTP are becoming regular occurrences.

Suprisingly, people are still riding even at the Ultra High Prices being charged in the Sleepers.

Of course everything is in a wait and see mode as we wonder what the new CEO, Congress and President will come up with for Amtrak! (my guess is more Smoke and Mirrors!)

As you probably know from the rail forums,in addition to the decline in food in the Diner and the nickel and dime cuts on the LD Trains, Sleeper Fares have continued to rise and the Silver Starvation lost its Diner (will it ever return) and the CONO lost its Chef, the CCC now has heat and eat served by One OBS just like the Cardinal!

We are currently awaiting word on when the Loooooong delayed Viewliner IIs will appear, if ever.

With Winter weather here and the track work starting on the Crescent Route and in the West, Cancellations,Reroutes,Bustitutions and poor OTP are becoming regular occurrences.

Suprisingly, people are still riding even at the Ultra High Prices being charged in the Sleepers.

Of course everything is in a wait and see mode as we wonder what the new CEO, Congress and President will come up with for Amtrak! (my guess is more Smoke and Mirrors!)
Frankly put, disappointing.

Take the EB, I've ridden the CZ from DEN-SLC, yes, it's very very pretty, but Glacier National Park, and Stevens Pass are simply breath taking, as is the Mississippi on the old route of the Hiawathas, (from CHI-MSP), North Dakota isn't much to look at, but the first day (westbound) there is atleast something to look at, it's great scenery CHI-MSP, and Shelby, MT, to SEA/PDX. The real beauty of the CZ was lost when it we rerouted over Donner Pass rather than Feather River, where the Empire Builder keeps its original route from Grand Forks, ND, taking the ex NP from MSP-GFK, and the ex Milw CHI-MSP, although the Milw is and was a more scenic route (I've ridden the ex CB&Q route by car, it's not as great as the ex Milw), in closing, take the EB

I rode the #4 SWC for the first time last summer, and I did see two vendors selling crafts on the platform in Albuquerque, though I would scarcely call it a bazaar. I had never seen them before, possibly because I mostly fly east and take the #3 back, and the timekeeping out of Raton pass is so bad that I've never been less than 2 hours late. It's possible they're there on days the train is on time, but it's late so regularly that I doubt it. Perhaps someone else knows. Also the layover is now much shorter than two hours.

The Burrito Lady meeting the Sunset Limited in El Paso is worth a visit, if you enjoy Mexican food.

So here's something newish in the west: the extension of the Pacific Surfliner all the way to San Luis Obispo, conveniently connecting at least with the arriving SWC at Los Angeles. I recently made a trip to Ventura, CA, and foolishly drove from LA Union Station instead of taking the Surfliner, because I did not even know it went north from LA at all, much less on convenient schedules. New to me, anyway!

(And let me edit to add mention of the constantly expanding metro system in LA and light rail system in Denver, both of which make arriving by train in their respective cities much easier than it was just a few years ago.)

Ainamkartma

It's been 10 years since my last ride on a Superliner consist. Living in the Savannah area, it's been the longest I've ever lived in one house.

My interest in Amtrak has been minimal to modest in the last three or four years. I've managed to take about one trip here in the East every year.

But I long for the cross country adventure. I look forward to one day hopping a Superliner across the Rockies. I've still not experienced the Texas Eagle West of Fort Worth, or the SWC East of Lamy. Haven't yet been on the CZ or the EB.

Have there been any changes in the last 10 years out West? Rerouting the SWC never happened. No new equipment. Food has deteriorated, but is the condition of the equipment still good? ABQ still greet the 2 hour layover with window washers and bazzar-like street vendors?

Anything NEW that can be experienced?
The Texas Eagle was rerouted from Dallas to Fort Worth over the TRE line -- so the view will be different! It also has two new stations in Arkansas and Missouri, though you pass through them in the middle of the night. There's been a lot of trackwork and station upgrades on the Chicago-St Louis section so it'll look substantially different.

Denver Union Station has been completely transformed. Visiting Denver, if you actually get off there, will be a revelation. Masses of connecting service and a vibrant neighborhood and even a hotel in the railway station. It's an experience.

The Empire Builder now stops in St. Paul Union Depot instead of the old Amshack. There's a rental car office right next to the Amtrak ticket counter now, and you can catch a light rail train to Minneapolis in front of the station.

LA has had major upgrades to its local rail system.

Chicago Union Station itself has had major operational changes due to burgeoning ridership. The Metropolitan Lounge has moved (the new one is two stories and much more spacious). The Great Hall has been restored to its proper use as the primary coach passenger waiting room. There's another private lounge for $20, the "Legacy Club". The ticket windows have moved. There have been substantial historic-preservation renovations to the Great Hall (with more to come).

Kansas City now has a streetcar connecting from Union Station to downtown and River Market.

Honestly, the largest changes in the last 10 years have been in the stations and connecting services. They've improved quite a lot. You can't really see that on a "ride through", however.

Back