Some questions for a first time rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I was doing some research on possibly taking an Amtrak between Fort Worth (FTW) and San Antonio (SAS) on the Texas Eagle 21 on July 23, and I stumbled across this forum (which has given me some great info, by the way!) and I was hoping to ask a few questions, if it is alright with y'all:

1) Is it better to get a reserved seat or just a lower level coach seat for a 7 and a half hour trip (or even a roomette)?

2) How reliable is the Texas Eagle during the summer? (I've been keeping track of the train statuses on amtrak's website and they've been between an hour early and almost 8 hours late!)

3) Has anyone taken the Texas Eagle between FTW and SAS? Is it usually crowded, and how early would I have to get to Fort Worth's ITC before the train arrives?

That's all the questions I have right now, and I thank you all in advance for answering them :)

1) Is it better to get a reserved seat or just a lower level coach seat for a 7 and a half hour trip (or even a roomette)?
You'll want to book a "Reserved Coach Seat" the lower level coach seats are actually the exact same seats, just on the lower level and are usually used by people who would have difficulty navigating the stairways in the double decker cars that are used on the Texas Eagle.

"Reserved" is a rather strange term the way Amtrak uses it. This does not mean that you have an assigned seat. Depending on the crew of the train, they may assign you a seat when you board, or perhaps just direct you to a specific car based on your destination.

Hope you enjoy the trip!

If there are 2 of you, I would strongly consider upgrade to a Roomette if the $40 bucket is available, as that will cover 2 Dinners in the Diner, more than making up the $40. In fact, if you are closer to Dallas, hop on there, as the Roomette upgrade low bucket is $44 and that should pick up lunch as well if the train is on time.

If there are 2 of you, I would strongly consider upgrade to a Roomette if the $40 bucket is available, as that will cover 2 Dinners in the Diner, more than making up the $40. In fact, if you are closer to Dallas, hop on there, as the Roomette upgrade low bucket is $44 and that should pick up lunch as well if the train is on time.
Right now the ticket is $30 and the roomette is at $60 (only 4 left) But since I'll be traveling alone, it would be pointless

I would take the train over the drive.

You can kind of zone out on the train, and just enjoy yourself. Take a trip to the lounge car where you can have some interesting conversations enjoy some decent food, and arrive relaxed and ready.

If where you're headed is conveniently reachable from the train station (such as by walking, cab or bus), I certainly would take the train! :)

Even if it is longer, I would rather have

1. have someone else "drive"
  2. relax
  3. have a meal
  4. sightsee
  5. talk to others
  6. do some work (or not)
  7. etc... :cool:
then drive for hours on I-35! :eek:

Obviously by visiting this forum we will tell you to take the train. If anything at all for the experience. The Texas Eagle has had great on time performance, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. But do be aware it could be late. The train leaves from FTW at 2:10 PM daily. If you plan on checking bags, you should plan on arriving at least 45 minutes to an hour before that. If not, no more than 30 mins early. Amtrak will check up to 3 bags under 50 lbs for free. Or there is plenty of room for 2 carry-ons and a personal item to carry with you. Summer is fairly busy, so its hard to say how crowded it will be. You may or may not get two seats to yourself. Make sure you enjoy the Lounge car though. There's some good Texas scenery between Cleburne and McGregor, including the crossing of Lake Whitney. Also you pass right through Bush's ranch town of Crawford, TX. The train doesn't stop there, but you can see it if you don't blink.

There's lots of time built in to the schedule between Austin and San Antonio. You'll likely get in early, so its not really 7 hours.

Hello!
I was doing some research on possibly taking an Amtrak between Fort Worth (FTW) and San Antonio (SAS) on the Texas Eagle 21 on July 23, and I stumbled across this forum (which has given me some great info, by the way!) and I was hoping to ask a few questions, if it is alright with y'all:

2) How reliable is the Texas Eagle during the summer? (I've been keeping track of the train statuses on amtrak's website and they've been between an hour early and almost 8 hours late!)

3) Has anyone taken the Texas Eagle between FTW and SAS? Is it usually crowded, and how early would I have to get to Fort Worth's ITC before the train arrives?

That's all the questions I have right now, and I thank you all in advance for answering them :)
Most of the previous posters covered everything! I live in Austin and ride this train regularly so a few tips: a roomette is not really worth it for one: dinner is served very early since the diner crew gets off in Austin.(one call for diner , it's like 4PM which is early, you can wait and eat in San Antonio, have a burger or sandwich on the train or take a Subway with you from the Fort Worth Station (it's in the station!) With the decreased freight traffic nowadays, and being summer the odds are better than Vegas youll be early into SAS. It's usually only crowded on holidays and football weekends but traffic is picking up this year which is good! This train runs three coaches with reserved seats, youll get a seat, I'd say ride up top, the scenery is easier to see and ther lounge and diner are on the top level! San Antonio probably will be crowded , it's a tourist town, if youre staying in a hotel book early, orbitz.com is a great source for deals! Feel free to ask any questions, the train buffs on this forum love to help out! :)

Believe us, there's no way you want to drive IH35 from DFW to Central Texas, it's LA on steroids with the Worst drivers in the world! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
All other things being equal, of course I'd recommend the train, too. But for me the key question would actually be this: what will you be doing in San Antonio? If it would be helpful to have your car (or a car) while you're there, you need to add the cost and rental-car hassle into the equation, and that may tip the odds.

All other things being equal, of course I'd recommend the train, too. But for me the key question would actually be this: what will you be doing in San Antonio? If it would be helpful to have your car (or a car) while you're there, you need to add the cost and rental-car hassle into the equation, and that may tip the odds.
My sister, brother, and I are meeting up in San Antonio this summer to see Drum Corps International on the 24th, and my choices were to fly down, drive to my brother in College Station and drive with him, or take the train. My brother and sister will both have cars, so its basically just whatever is cheap. If I take the train down, though, I won't be able to take it up because the departure time is not a good time (7am) for people our age :)

Believe us, there's no way you want to drive IH35 from DFW to Central Texas, it's LA on steroids with the Worst drivers in the world! :rolleyes:
Ummm, I-35 between DFW-Metroplex and San Tone may have gotten worse, but it in NO WAY comes close to the congestion in LA.......

Take the train anyway. Nice way to enter a city when you have the time.

"dinner is served very early since the diner crew gets off in Austin.(one call for diner , it's like 4PM which is early, you can wait and eat in San Antonio, have a burger or sandwich on the train or take a Subway with you from the Fort Worth Station (it's in the station!)"

Can someone else confirm if this nonsense of the food and beverage crew getting off/on at Austin is still happening? I had heard they were going all the way to San Antonio now.

If I take the train down, though, I won't be able to take it up because the departure time is not a good time (7am) for people our age :)
What does Age have to do with 7:00am? :huh:

Aloha
Come now, GG, have you ever swatted a fly at 7:00 am? I think not! :D
No I have not swatted a fly at 7:00am but I have swum with the fishes at that hour. :D But no matter what time my body gets up my mind doesn't start my day until 10:00AM. :lol:

Aloha

Let's put it this way: We live in San Francisco and make semi-regular trips to Fresno. Driving time is a little over 3 hours at best, and can be upwards of 4 with "normal" congestion. Door to door time is on the order of 5 to 5.5 hours. We usually take the train. Why: If we stop to eat, as opposed to the fast food and drive, the road trip will be just about as long as the train trip, so time difference is nil. We can get a meal on the train and eat it rollingl. Taking a nap while driving is not recommended, but taking a nap on the train is fine. Catching up on some reading, or even, that horrible four letter word, work, can also be done while rolling. Of course we do have the advantage of four trains a day each way between Oakland and Fresno, which makes the departure time less of an issue.

While the California trains are somewhat different, the general rule for the two level coaches is that people with walking or step climbing difficulties have priority on the local level seats. Yes, sightseeing from the upper level seats is better, but the lower level seats are not really bad for that either.

I am like GG-1 on early mornings: No matter what time my body has to get going, brain function does not kick in until about 10:00. Swiming with the fishes can very literally be done at quite a few places of the coasts of the Hawaiian islands, even without the benefit of concrete overshoes.

Ok, so all of you recommend taking the train (obviously)

Teenagers who are up until midnight or later can not get up and be on a train by 7am, so I'd fly up midday ($75ish) I might take the train because that is about the cost of gas to drive about halfway to San Antonio.

Now, if I reserve a seat, I can just put my stuff above the seat and just chill in the lounge car all day, correct?

Warning: if you take the train down, you'll enjoy it enough that you'll wish you hadn't bought that airline ticket for the trip back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back