Sorry not around...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tubaallen

Lead Service Attendant
Hey there everyone!

Sorry I haven't been as active as normal on here. The good news is that it's because the board has been running quickly, and I've been working like crazy since I got out of school. Two trips to Oakland, and one just to Helper. And they tell me I'm gonna be going out again very soon.

Anyways, hope things are well around here. And I'll try to stop in when I can!!!

Allen

Best of luck to you Allen, and enjoy your summer. :) B)

You don't need to apologize, we know and appreciate your contributions, and the fact is that because you post less freqently, your posts will be that much more detailed and interesting.

Viewliner said:
Best of luck to you Allen, and enjoy your summer. :)  B)
You don't need to apologize, we know and appreciate your contributions, and the fact is that because you post less freqently, your posts will be that much more detailed and interesting.
Yes, we will EXPECT more detailed and interesting posts now!

:lol:

seajay

Have a great summer Allen! :)

Steve, in '99 while eating in the Diner with my family we got into a conversation with one of the attendants. She was an elementary school art teacher in Baltimore who worked on the Auto Train during the Summer and during Christmas vacation. So it certainly is not uncommon for teachers to take up a part time job with Amtrak. As for training, I'm sure Allen has all the info. :)

I want to try to get a job with Amtrak while in college similar to what Allen has done, although I'd prefer to be in Train or Engine service.

battalion51 said:
I want to try to get a job with Amtrak while in college similar to what Allen has done, although I'd prefer to be in Train or Engine service.
I'd potentially be interested in that as well.

Unfortunetly, Amtrak attendant jobs require one to be 21 years of age because they deal with alcohol, but I think you can become an assistant conductor at 18. I could be wrong though.

Amfleet said:
Unfortunetly, Amtrak attendant jobs require one to be 21 years of age because they deal with alcohol, but I think you can become an assistant conductor at 18. I could be wrong though.
Are you sure about that Jon, I am pretty sure the law states that you are allowed to serve at the age of 18, you just cannot consume until 21. Besides which the only time you would really be handling alcohol is if you are an LSA.

B-51, each state has their own alcohol laws and some states do require one to be 21 years of age to both consume and sell the product I believe. Amtrak must follow each states laws on serving alcohol and this is why some trains can not serve alcohol on sundays while traveling through specific states. Thus Amtrak also has to follow the laws of how old someone has to be to sell and handle alcohol. I'll do a little more research on this and if anyone has more info on state alcohol laws, please post.

You cannot serve alcohol in California unless you are at least 21 - I am positive about that.

Have fun, Allen! If you happen to travel through Martinez, CA on #6 on a Sunday up 'till June 29th (I know-what are the chances of that?) you;ll see me as the station host out on the platform.

B)

OK guys, here's the deal: (quickly, because I have to run....need to work 21 down to St. Louis and back on 22 tomorrow) You only have to be 18 to be an attendant. (I'm not sure how they get around any alcohol laws) And, the only job you can do for the summer is as an attendant...they won't train you in train crew, because there is too much training for it.

As for working part time during school, I believe that would be impossible, because they start you out on the extra board, and therefore you have to be available all the time.

Ok, like I said...I gotta run, but I'll be back when I have time!!! Thanks for all your replies guys!

Oh, and JC....obviously it's past that June 29 date. If you're there more, let me know. You can also look for me....I have a goatee, and I'm about 6' tall, and of course you'll see my nametag if you're up close enough!

Oh, and Steve...there are a number of teachers that work with me for the summer. One of them was in my class last year, and she's back this year. The only thing is that you HAVE to be able to make the training...which is usually in May. Last year Heather lucked out, because it didn't start until June 10. Good luck, I'm sure it would be good working with you!

Glad to hear everything is going well Allen. I was pretty sure that Amtrak would hire at age 18, but you may just not be eligble for an LSA job or something like that.

battalion51 said:
Glad to hear everything is going well Allen. I was pretty sure that Amtrak would hire at age 18, but you may just not be eligble for an LSA job or something like that.
That's always good to know as Battalion said, I may try to get a job on Amtrak like you at some point (when I'm older). For now, things are working out well at my camp job. Glad to hear from you Allen, can't wait to hear more about your travels. :)

Federal law does not permit anyone under age to serve alcohol (according to 3 different lawyers I talked to). Therefore if your attendant is underage, they can take you drink order, you can pay them for it, but they legally cannot bring it to you or put it in front of you at at bar as that is known as "serving" and minors can't do that. That is why is restaurants, if you have a young server, someone else "runs" the drink to you. Hope this helps and if someone finds out I got some bum info, let me know. :D

tubaallen said:
OK guys, here's the deal: (quickly, because I have to run....need to work 21 down to St. Louis and back on 22 tomorrow) You only have to be 18 to be an attendant. (I'm not sure how they get around any alcohol laws) And, the only job you can do for the summer is as an attendant...they won't train you in train crew, because there is too much training for it.
As for working part time during school, I believe that would be impossible, because they start you out on the extra board, and therefore you have to be available all the time.

Ok, like I said...I gotta run, but I'll be back when I have time!!! Thanks for all your replies guys!

Oh, and JC....obviously it's past that June 29 date. If you're there more, let me know. You can also look for me....I have a goatee, and I'm about 6' tall, and of course you'll see my nametag if you're up close enough!

Oh, and Steve...there are a number of teachers that work with me for the summer. One of them was in my class last year, and she's back this year. The only thing is that you HAVE to be able to make the training...which is usually in May. Last year Heather lucked out, because it didn't start until June 10. Good luck, I'm sure it would be good working with you!
Allen, I do not turn 18 until early June. When will I need to go to human resources to apply for a job (in the Winter, Spring) and then how long will training take. I know your busy, but if you have time to answer this let me know, thanks. :)

USAFLady said:
Federal law does not permit anyone under age to serve alcohol (according to 3 different lawyers I talked to). Therefore if your attendant is underage, they can take you drink order, you can pay them for it, but they legally cannot bring it to you or put it in front of you at at bar as that is known as "serving" and minors can't do that. That is why is restaurants, if you have a young server, someone else "runs" the drink to you. Hope this helps and if someone finds out I got some bum info, let me know. :D
No you did not get any bum information. Had I seen that when originally posted I would have added my piece as a soon to be lawyer, but the information is correct you must be at least 21 to serve alcohol in every state in the country.

tp49 said:
USAFLady said:
Federal law does not permit anyone under age to serve alcohol (according to 3 different lawyers I talked to).  Therefore if your attendant is underage, they can take you drink order, you can pay them for it, but they legally cannot bring it to you or put it in front of you at at bar as that is known as "serving" and minors can't do that.  That is why is restaurants, if you have a young server, someone else "runs" the drink to you.  Hope this helps and if someone finds out I got some bum info, let me know.   :D
No you did not get any bum information. Had I seen that when originally posted I would have added my piece as a soon to be lawyer, but the information is correct you must be at least 21 to serve alcohol in every state in the country.
I didn't think 3 lawyers all saying the same thing could be wrong... even if the are Bama lawyers.... :lol:

USAFLady said:
tp49 said:
USAFLady said:
Federal law does not permit anyone under age to serve alcohol (according to 3 different lawyers I talked to).  Therefore if your attendant is underage, they can take you drink order, you can pay them for it, but they legally cannot bring it to you or put it in front of you at at bar as that is known as "serving" and minors can't do that.  That is why is restaurants, if you have a young server, someone else "runs" the drink to you.  Hope this helps and if someone finds out I got some bum info, let me know.   :D
I didn't think 3 lawyers all saying the same thing could be wrong... even if the are Bama lawyers.... :lol:
They're only bum bama lawyers if they went to Samford, but if they went to UA School of Law they're fine in my book (showing my proud bama alum colors here) :)

USAFLady said:
I don't know what federal law says, but I do believe that you can be handed the alcohol by someone underage (depending on state, county, city, or whatever), as long as it isn't "rung up" by someone underage. This is indeed what we do. The LSA does need to be 21, however SAs and TAs only need to be 18.

Amfleet said:
Allen, I do not turn 18 until early June. When will I need to go to human resources to apply for a job (in the Winter, Spring) and then how long will training take. I know your busy, but if you have time to answer this let me know, thanks. :)
Jon,

What I did was to send my resume with a cover letter explaining what I was interested in, and why I thought I would be a good choice into HR a couple of times each year (it took almost 5 years for me to get this job). The other thing you can do is keep your eyes on the Amtrak jobs page. Good luck! (Unfortunately, I've noticed in the past that Chicago tends to do much more seasonal hiring than the other crew bases...good for me, bad for you :( )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back