Sorry not around...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if Amtrak can deadhead me from Boston to Chicago that's fine. I was thinking about going up to the human resources department in Boston. I'm wondering though, do you have to be 18 to even think about sending a cover letter?

I imagine you probably ought to be 18, or at least be 18 by the time May came around. But I don't know that for sure. As far as deadheading, they definitely let people who hold regular positions do that as needed...people commute all across the country. However, you would most certainly start out as an extra board employee, just as I am, and in that case you need to be able to get to the crew base within a 2 hour time period. Now, of course this is only my second summer doing it, and I found out that I have enough seniority already that I could have held a regular position this summer, but I chose not to bid, because I think the money is better for the summer on the extra board anyway. It just sucks because you can't plan anything.

Yeah, I know that Amtrak doesn't hire trainmen for seasonal positions for that reason. But I don't know about MBTA, so I hope something works out for you! You're only other chance is the Washington crew base, I don't know how long it would take you to get there though.

tubaallen said:
USAFLady said:
Federal law does not permit anyone under age to serve alcohol (according to 3 different lawyers I talked to).  Therefore if your attendant is underage, they can take you drink order, you can pay them for it, but they legally cannot bring it to you or put it in front of you at at bar as that is known as "serving" and minors can't do that.  That is why is restaurants, if you have a young server, someone else "runs" the drink to you.  Hope this helps and if someone finds out I got some bum info, let me know.   :D
I don't know what federal law says, but I do believe that you can be handed the alcohol by someone underage (depending on state, county, city, or whatever), as long as it isn't "rung up" by someone underage. This is indeed what we do. The LSA does need to be 21, however SAs and TAs only need to be 18.
Did I understand your post right that people under the age of 21 are "serving" or "handing" alcohol out?

I don't really know. I just know that I have, (even though I'm 25), and I could have been hired at age 18. That's all I really know.

tubaallen said:
Yeah, I know that Amtrak doesn't hire trainmen for seasonal positions for that reason. But I don't know about MBTA, so I hope something works out for you! You're only other chance is the Washington crew base, I don't know how long it would take you to get there though.
Well, if Amtrak wants to put me on an air shuttle from Boston or Providence, then ya I can make it. Though I doubt they would do that. I'm not in a hurry to work for the railroads, but no hurt in applying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back