Southeast Vacation: Savannah

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hubby and I are taking a little train trip next fall. We're ging to a conference in Illinois the seond week of December, and we thought we'd add an extra week of travel around the southeast before heading back on the SL and CS to Oregon. Neither if us has ever been to Georgia or Florida. I am sure I'll be asking more questions later, but I thought I'd start with Savannah:

• We're planning to take the Palmetto from BAL to SAV, and I wonder: when the train arrives in Savannah ~9pm, how does one get to a Bed and Breakfast downtown? Do taxis line up at the station when the train is due?
  • Does anyone have any B&B recommendations in Savannah? They all look charming. Many of them are beyond our budget, and the ones that are within our budget all seem to have their share of negative reviews. We'll be leaving Savannah on the bus, headed for Tallahassee, so a loaction within walking distance to the Greyhound station is desirable. For us, "walking distance" with our rolling bags is about a mile.
Thanks to you all for participating in the forum. I've found a lot of very useful tips here.

Well, I live near Savannah, but I have no idea where the Greyhound station is...But I would bet it is not near to any B&B. But whatever B&B you choose, will be glad to call you a taxi. Yes, there are plenty of taxis waiting for #89 to arrive.

Googling Savannah Greyhound got me this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Savannah+Greyhound+station&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Savannah+Greyhound+station&cid=0,0,4433622385099158178&sa=X&ei=_Ig1Ufz4LoWm8gSwiIH4Cg&ved=0CI8BEPwSMAA

The Greyhound station appears to be a few blocks from the Visitors Center, Savannah History Museum, and Georgia Railroad Museum. Both are at MLK, Jr. Blvd and Louisville Rd. There are severl chain hotels in that area which might be less expensive than a B&B, which tend to be pricey in Savannah.

Staying near the Visitors Center gets you to the free shuttle to downtown...

http://www.catchacat.org/getting_around/Ride_Free_Downtown/CAT_Shuttle/index.html

CJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Carolyn Jane is right: take a taxi from the Amtrak station to wherever you've booked.

I went there a couple of years ago. I took a taxi to the Historic District & stayed at The Inn At Ellis Square. Right next to the City Market area, tour/shuttle bus pick ups & across the street from the River Walk. Did the Brunch on the River Boat. Good Time!!!

Have Fun

The Greyhound station appears to be a few blocks from the Visitors Center, Savannah History Museum, and Georgia Railroad Museum. Both are at MLK, Jr. Blvd and Louisville Rd. There are severl chain hotels in that area which might be less expensive than a B&B, which tend to be pricey in Savannah.
CJ, thanks, it must be "low season" when we want to go (mid-week, the third week of December) because many B&Bs show rates for those days of $119-139, somewhat below mid-priced motels. And they do mostly seem to be within 1 mile of Greyhound, according to Google maps.

Carolyn Jane is right: take a taxi from the Amtrak station to wherever you've booked.
Oh yeah! I Googled the Atrak station, and it's obviously way out there! We will definitely want a taxi from there, in the dark. I was just hoping there would be plenty of taxis for everyine wanting them...

I went there a couple of years ago. I took a taxi to the Historic District & stayed at The Inn At Ellis Square. Right next to the City Market area, tour/shuttle bus pick ups & across the street from the River Walk. Did the Brunch on the River Boat. Good Time!!!
Hi Rail Freak, good to talk with you! Inn at Ellis Square Looks charming. I will consider it just because you recommend it.

I'd strongly suggest you contact the place at which you decide to stay and ask them about taxi transportation and have them recommend a taxi company and ask them what it should cost. Otherwise, you may end up in a dirty cab with a driver that doesn't use the meter. Call the cab company before your arrival and get specifics as to what it will look like and where it will be (and cabbie's cell number if possible).

I took a taxi late one evening from Raleigh Amtrak to our hotel only about a mile or less north. He drove south to a gas station to fill up while our meter was running. Needless to say, I refused to pay for that part of the trip but we were still delayed. In all but a city with well-regulated cabs, I'd never pick a cab just waiting there.

As to prices, you might consider a hotel using Hotwire or in the fall calling the Visitor Center and ask if there are any B&B deals going on.

I'd strongly suggest you contact the place at which you decide to stay and ask them about taxi transportation and have them recommend a taxi company and ask them what it should cost. Otherwise, you may end up in a dirty cab with a driver that doesn't use the meter. Call the cab company before your arrival and get specifics as to what it will look like and where it will be (and cabbie's cell number if possible).
I took a taxi late one evening from Raleigh Amtrak to our hotel only about a mile or less north. He drove south to a gas station to fill up while our meter was running. Needless to say, I refused to pay for that part of the trip but we were still delayed. In all but a city with well-regulated cabs, I'd never pick a cab just waiting there.

As to prices, you might consider a hotel using Hotwire or in the fall calling the Visitor Center and ask if there are any B&B deals going on.
Hmmn, scary thought -- we have chosen from the waiting cabs at the San Antonio station several times, always with good results (inexpensive, expeditious), so I would not have thought of that. Thanks for the benefit of your experience.

Good thought about the Visitor Center -- thye may have answers about cab companies as well as B&B specials.

I took a taxi late one evening from Raleigh Amtrak to our hotel only about a mile or less north. He drove south to a gas station to fill up while our meter was running.
I hope you complained to the city's taxicab inspector, part of the Special Operations Division of the Raleigh PD. There is an extensive city ordinance on taxi operation.

I can't help with transportation questions (have always driven to Savannah), but it's a lovely place to visit and walk around in the historic district. If you want to see a bit of beach, ride over to Tybee Island one day while you're in the area. Enjoy your trip and welcome to Georgia!

We went to Savannah in August on the Silver Meteor arriving in the early morning. There were several taxis waiting, but by the time we collected our checked baggage and made our way to the parking lot all the cabs had been taken and the drivers said they would be back. We had to wait for about half an hour before any returned.

Downtown Savannah is very pedestrian friendly, but if you need a rental car Hertz will reimburse you $20 in cab fare to pick up the car at the airport (and you can leave it at the train station when you depart). The drive to Tybee Island is worth the trip and there are a couple of historic forts you can tour along the way. We went up the lighthouse and spent some time swimming, the beach was very nice.

The home tours can be a little pricey, but they were well worth it. The tour guides are very professional and entertaining. Frommer's has a couple of self guided walking tours that take you around all the squares.

It really is a beautiful city I would recommend to anyone for a vacation. Enjoy the trip!

Wonderful tips everyone! We travel light, so luckily we we'll only have one rolling bag and a tote each (no checked baggage allowed at our home station). We'll depend on getting to the curb quickly so we can get one of the first round of taxis. We are only there two nights, so downtown will keep us occupied well enough.

me_little_me, it sounds like it should be enough to make note of our taxi number and driver's name. Less likely to misbehave if they know we are watching them, right? I wonder if he skipped filling up on the way to the station because he wanted to meet the train, and thought he could get away with doing it on the way back.

Thanks also for the ideas about what to do. I'll have a look at Frommers. So much to see, so little time!

Wow. I'm late to this local request.

I would recommend the 17 Hundred 90 Inn if you would like to try something completely different. Just bring your plasma ray guns for the ghosts! I had dinner in their restaurant and throughly enjoyed the ambiance. [A freaky side note: A colleague wanted to try two of the desserts. The server brought a little sample of one but decorated it as a birthday special to "get it out of the kitchen free". Unbeknownst to anyone in our party or at the restaurant, it really was her birthday!] It's a little further walk to the main areas, but it keeps it a bit quieter. It's about 3 blocks to the East end of River Street. Though on Tripadvisor as a B&B, they only offer continental self serve fare for breakfast. It's a bit on the costlier side, but it's an experience not to miss. They are about a 3 minute walk to the Connect on the Dot free shuttle service that runs around the downtown area (Note: it runs a circuituous route in one direction only).

For about 70% more and located across the street from 17 Hundred 90 is the extremely elegant, historical Kehoe House which is fantastic. They DO include a full breakfast.

There are several others in the area that are unique to Savannah like the River Street Inn and would probably compete well with the bigger chains. Most of the unique, elegant locations will be in the $180-$300 range. I really think that the 1790 is the best value in the area. Arguably the nicest is the new Bohemian but it will set you back around $430 for a river view room.

As for the taxis, I have not ever heard of any complaints. Unfortunately, with most arrivals being between 7 PM and 7 AM, the city hasn't set up any sort of bus or transit system to connect the station to the rest of the city. Like many places, this station is in a very industrial area. The history of the station is interesting. There was a Union Terminal in downtown Savannah until the early 60s when they decided to demolish it for the I-16 ramp into town. So the city paid Atlantic and Seaboard to move the passenger service to its current location. It's a pretty nice station and well kept, but being 60's architecture, it seems to bring out the utilitarian style of the time. The mosaic on the ouside and the murals on the inside of the station are quite facinating, though, as are the disfunctional but preserved wooden phone booths.

The Greyhound Bus Station is quite on the opposite side of town, on the West side near the sprawl of Savannah College of Art and Design. Here you will find perhaps cheaper yet perhaps a bit more uncomfortable accomodations. Thunderbird Inn is across the street, but I don't think I'll recommend it. It seems to be out of place in Savannah, more fitting for a Route 66 motel somewhere in Arizona... The reviews are mixed, YMMV. You'll be about 5 minutes walking from the Visitor Center which has a Connect the Dot stop. It's also close to the Civic Center and the railroad museum as well as a few nice restaurants. You're not really walking distance to the River and it is a much busier part of town. The Best Western Plush Savannah Historic District is not too far, but it's pretty basic as motels go and probably over priced for its location.

Finally, I have no problems at all with the Inn at Ellis Square. It is right near the River, near City Market, about a mile from Greyhound, and not too far from the Connect the Dot.

Hope all this helps!

Although the 1962 station was sited for operational convenience of the ACL and SAL -- the CofG used a different station -- it has ample size and plenty of parking. ACL and SAL were still running a lot of passenger trains through Savannah in those days. And compared to Richmond (Staples Mill Road), Jacksonville, or Charleston, it's not that far from the city center.

Savannah Union Station required back-up moves for through trains. ACL and SAL were happy to stop that.

Since you'll be packing light, you should be able to snag a cab immediately from SAV Amtrak to your accommodations. Upon arrival of the Palmetto to the platform, look to the immediate right-hand side of the station. That's where you'll always find a few to several taxis awaiting fares. As long as you're staying somewhere in or near the historic district, your ride will cover around 3 miles.

The Greyhound location was chosen as the new site for Savannah's Downtown Intermodal Transit Facility. They have continued to operate from there during construction, which is scheduled to be completed sometime in 2013. My last trip from there was last July, so I'm unsure whether the project is on schedule.

I would suggest you reserve your first morning in Savannah for a visit to the main Visitor's Information Center, also the home of the Savannah History Museum. Probably any and all the information you'll need can be found there.

I dare say you may be disappointed you didn't decide to stay longer!

Oh, wow, thanks so much for the great info! I am sure we'll be disapponted that we don't have enough time to cover everything, but c'est la vie. We have to shoehorn in a couple of nice destinations between train trips, right?

VentureForth, I checked out the 17 Hundred 90 Inn, and it's not too pricey at all -- on the days we plan to be there! I like their website, it makes it quite plain that their pricing structure is based on the desirability of the day, and the days we want to be there happen to be "rock-bottom." It sounds like they hardly have a bad room in the place, just choose the room based on what you're looking for.

I would suggest you reserve your first morning in Savannah for a visit to the main Visitor's Information Center, also the home of the Savannah History Museum. Probably any and all the information you'll need can be found there.
Not to mention, it's also an old Central of Georgia terminal. They have a dining car diner there, too. :D

They are also RIGHT on the Conect the Dot. I know it's been brought up a lot, so here is the PDF of the route.

Finally, you may want to check out the free Savannah Belles Ferry that takes you out to the Westin across the River. Gives you a GREAT photo op the river shops!

The 'actual bench' is in the Savannah History Museum, in the train sheds of the old Central of GA terminal, AKA Visitor's Center. There is also an old steam engine there, too. The type that used to pull the Nancy Hanks to Atlanta. EM

You might consider a stop in Charleston, too. Just as an interesting a city as Savannah (and arguably better restaurants) and the Palmetto arrival is a bit earlier. Rather than Greyhound, also consider a one way car rental. There is so much to see in this part of the country, you'll miss a lot seeing it from the bus on the interstates. While one way rentals are generally more expensive, it'll certainly provide a lot more flexibility and save a few taxi rides.

You might consider a stop in Charleston, too. Just as an interesting a city as Savannah (and arguably better restaurants) and the Palmetto arrival is a bit earlier. Rather than Greyhound, also consider a one way car rental. There is so much to see in this part of the country, you'll miss a lot seeing it from the bus on the interstates. While one way rentals are generally more expensive, it'll certainly provide a lot more flexibility and save a few taxi rides.
Excellent post! As someone who is originly from South Carolina and who has Lived in Savannah, I toitally agree with your Suggestion of Charleston!!! (And if you are flexible in your Travel dates you can Save some Real Money if you go during the Right Times!!! Both can be Pricey "In Season" and on Weekends!

Thanks for the suggestion about Charleston. We considered that city, but haven't the time to do both, and Savannah fit the timetables better. Since we'll be there on two weeknights, it appears room rates are quite reasonable.

We're big on letting someone else do the driving in places we've never been, and actually, the bus does go along through Panama City and Fort Walton Beach on the Gulf Coast. Really looking forward to that section.

Excellent post! As someone who is originly from South Carolina and who has Lived in Savannah, I toitally agree with your Suggestion of Charleston!!! (And if you are flexible in your Travel dates you can Save some Real Money if you go during the Right Times!!! Both can be Pricey "In Season" and on Weekends!
Jim, where in SC do you hail from? I'm from Augusta, GA - might have heard of a little golf tournament played there in the spring. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back