Southern Illinois daytrip idea CDL - MAT

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kentuckian1977

Service Attendant
If nothing happens, I'm going to be visiting a few days in the Paducah, Kentucky area the first week of June. I was playing around on arrow and think I have figured out a good little daytrip to take, which while hardly an epic cross country journey (that's gonna have to wait til later when funds and time allow!) will finally allow me to get my Amtrak feet wet, or at least damp, lol!

If I don't come up with any better idea, I am thinking of just taking 390 from CDL - MAT, and then 391 back. This would give me about an hour and a half between trains (9:31-11:05) in Mattoon. Trip is 30.00 on arrow right now...not bad at all for a half day, 272 mile roundtrip. If I'm understanding everything right, I could pick up the tickets for both parts of my little journey from the QuikTrak machine or agent in CDL that morning, and park there for 2.00. Any thoughts/suggestions from those who have used the Illini/Saluki?

I take the CDL-MAT/MAT-CDL often for points runs. It isn't too costly and is the closest station to where I live. There is a nice restaurant about a block from the station for breakfast before the return train. The station is in the process of being restored/remodeled. Will be nice when it is finished. Enjoy your trip.

I take the CDL-MAT/MAT-CDL often for points runs. It isn't too costly and is the closest station to where I live. There is a nice restaurant about a block from the station for breakfast before the return train. The station is in the process of being restored/remodeled. Will be nice when it is finished. Enjoy your trip.
Thanks KYRR, glad to hear it should work for me. I was looking at the area on google maps, and looks like a nice little area within walking distance - what's the name of the restaurant you like? (I'm almost as big a fan of good food as I am trains, lol!) Might have to walk down and snap a photo of the "original" Burger King too, but it'll be way too early in the day for burgers and fries!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back