Southwest Chief and Philmont Scout Ranch

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
I spoke to a fellow parishioner at church you is a retired crew member of the SWC who said it gets heavy use from the Boy Scouts heading to Philmont in New Mexico. I leave on train 3 from Chicago this Saturday. Do you think I will be early enough to miss all the kids?

Looking online, the 2011 dates do not seem to be posted anymore. For 2012 they seem to start summer camps on June 8th which would be about June 10th this year. So, yes, I suspect you will miss them.

Though, I have never had any issues with scouts on the SWC, but I have always been in sleeper.

Looking online, the 2011 dates do not seem to be posted anymore. For 2012 they seem to start summer camps on June 8th which would be about June 10th this year. So, yes, I suspect you will miss them.

Though, I have never had any issues with scouts on the SWC, but I have always been in sleeper.
He told me of one particular trip where they trashed a coach. Food wrappers and papers everywhere. He and the scoutmaster made the scouts clean it up before they got off. The scoutmaster reminding them of the scout law ...a scout is clean. They actually made a game out of it. Whoever turned in the most trash got a free Amtrak cap.

I spoke to a fellow parishioner at church you is a retired crew member of the SWC who said it gets heavy use from the Boy Scouts heading to Philmont in New Mexico. I leave on train 3 from Chicago this Saturday. Do you think I will be early enough to miss all the kids?
As has already been mentioned the Large Groups dont start riding until June! Every time I've been on the SWC there has been Large Groups of Scouts and their Leaders both going and coming from the Ranch! It's almost certain they will flock to the Cafe Car, buy up most of the Snacks and Fill Up the Lounge but on the whole most are well Behaved, just Full of Energy and move around alot! As was the previous Poster I was always in a Sleeper but enjoyed seeing these Future Leaders of our Country having Fun on a Train! :) Just another Slice of Americana, :cool: catch it while you can!

For those not in the know, Philmont Scout Ranch is one of 4 high adventure bases in the US. Most of the scouts heading to Philmont are at least 13 and will be hiking and camping through the mountains for about 10 days and cover between 35 and 80 miles. My older son will be heading to Philmont next summer (2012) with 19 other scouts and 4 adults. A mother of one the scouts in my son's troop said that the scouts who returned from the Philmont trip really "walked tall" because it was the most difficult of the bases.

The other high adventure bases are in West Virginia (newly opened - whitewater rafting and rock climing); Northern Tier (Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Minnesota/Canada); and Sea Base (Florida Keys - SCUBA, sailing, snorkeling, kayaking, fishing). I took a group of 15 scouts (and 6 adults) to Sea Base in 2010.

I have seen scouts come back from all of these treks (except West Virgina) and have seen a lot of personal growth in each of them. Some of the scouts I have met are fantastic young men who have the potential to become outstanding leaders.

When I worked the Chief back in the late 70's early 80's as a waiter and/or LSA, we DEFINITELY got our share of Philmont Scouts at the Raton, NM station. It was quite a sight to see, sometimes, several hundred Boy Scouts, in uniform, waiting at the platform in this small town.

Having been a scout myself, I was always very envious of the kids who got to make these treks. In general they were well behaved, a 'lil stinky, but just glad to be on an air-conditioned train, and glad to have to only walk a few cars for a meal, instead of five, six, or seven miles!

On occasion I had to simply remind them of what the other poster mentioned, the tenets of the Scout Law. Only had to talk to a scoutmaster once, (this was all in the SSL car btw) and within seconds that scout was not a problem. I doubt anyone in the sleepers will even notice them, unless you are hanging out in the SSL...........

This summer, I get to go to Philmont with my 14 year old soon. We are only hiking 63 miles, as it is a younger crew (all the kids are 14) but that's enuff for this fat-ole' 53 year old, besides, we start hiking at 8,000 feet-plus, elevation.

Sadly, we are not taking Amtrak either direction, although I think Ryan in a long-previous post mentioned that when he went, ".........all he wanted to do when he got off the trail was rest.........." Even a sleeper might be little too much activity when I get off the trail, if they don't carry me off the trail!

However, depending upon how this summer's trek goes, (12 days starting July 1st) I've got plans for both of my twins (who are now only 11) to go in a couple of years. By then my twin daughter will be old enough to join BSA's co-ed Venture Crew. She's already saving her money for this trek!

And, (Again depending upon how I feel this summer) both my twins want to take the train!

As to the OP's question, staff is just now arriving at Philmont to get prepared for the thousands and thousands of boys/girls who attend each summer. If you are leaving next week, you might see a few, but nothing like it will be weeks from now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, things don't really get rolling there for a little while.

I took the train to Philmont and back when I was 14 (summer of 1994) - there were no shenannigans like Scott was talking about either, I would think that sort of thing is more of an outlier than the norm with those groups.

I can't wait to get back there when my son is old enough. It's a ROUGH trip, but it's worth every bit of it. Our crew's motto quickly became "All it takes is all you got", because you've got to really give it 100% or you'll fail.

Minor train related tie in: the guy that I shared a tent with for Philmont is now an Engineer for CSX. :)

Well, even though we are flying out/back to Philmont, we are making a side stop at Pike's Peak to ride the cog railway, and help us get a bit acclimated to the elevation.

I think Pike's Peak is over 14K ?

Now if I could just get some AGR points for the ride to the summit and back...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back