Southwest Chief Derailed in KS 03/14 early AM

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All due respect, that doesn't answer my question. Could it cause a derailment?
I suppose anything is possible, which makes it hard to say definitively that it couldn't be the cause, but if you use an emergency brake under normal conditions and your train crashes there has to be more to it than just applying the brake. Trains going into emergency braking is fairly common, and it doesn't generally end with a derailment.
Thank you...not being involved in the industry, I was just wondering if any of you who work for a RR would know.

So.. I am traveling on the SWC on Wednesday, 16th Chicago to ABQ. And now this derailment. I see on the Amtrak site that the train will be detoured from Newton to ABQ and I've read the thread on the members forum. My question is: will this make the journey many hours longer? A few hours? And what about equipment? Does amtrak have other carriages they can use? We have a sleeper booked.

Many thanks in advance.
Yes it may be longer, how much is anyone guess. You may or may not get to experience the rare mileage. Wednesday is not today, and this derailment may not impact you at all. There is enough equipment in Chicago to cover the derailment.

Have a great trip. Relax and enjoy yourself.

So.. I am traveling on the SWC on Wednesday, 16th Chicago to ABQ. And now this derailment. I see on the Amtrak site that the train will be detoured from Newton to ABQ and I've read the thread on the members forum. My question is: will this make the journey many hours longer? A few hours?
The detour route is slightly faster. This is one reason some of us think the SWC should have moved to it permanently.

And what about equipment? Does amtrak have other carriages they can use?
That, I don't know. I hope so.

Every pic I have seen shows two cars on their side and the lounge leaning. Have not seen any evidence of 5 cars on their side as I have seen reported on news sites. Did I miss something?

I count four coaches on their sides, the lounge leaning over, and I have heard that the diner and the trailing sleeper are on the ground.

It's been running with four for the spring break crowds, at the last report I had. Four has also been normal on the chief and starlight in the past. And the photo on the first report I saw is the one I am referring to.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been running with four for the spring break crowds, at the last report I had. Four has also been normal on the chief and starlight in the past. And the photo on the first report I saw is the one I am referring to.
Four is what they usually have in the summer. Did not know about the spring break thing.

Four coaches on the SWC would be unusual. What pic did you see with that?
Nearly all the "headline" pictures show the four coaches on their sides, after the lounge. There were four coaches on our train - 4(8) - last week.

Latest news is discovery of evidence that there may have been an unreported motor vehicle collision with the rail.

More on the "significant bend in the rail"...emergency brakes hit before derailment.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/14/injuries-reported-after-amtrak-train-derails-in-kansas.html?intcmp=hplnws
A rather poorly written article, but thanks for the link. Does any news agency employ professional journalists anymore?
To pay journalists, you have to have subscriber revenue. Nobody wants to pay for news in the Internet age, so ya get what ya pay for.

More on the "significant bend in the rail"...emergency brakes hit before derailment.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/14/injuries-reported-after-amtrak-train-derails-in-kansas.html?intcmp=hplnws
A rather poorly written article, but thanks for the link. Does any news agency employ professional journalists anymore?
The train appeared to have been traveling at about 75 miles when the engineer pulled the emergency break.
You got a problem with that? :p

To pay journalists, you have to have subscriber revenue. Nobody wants to pay for news in the Internet age, so ya get what ya pay for.
Nobody has ***ever*** paid for journalists out of subscriber revenue. I happen to know something about the history of newspapers (and radio and TV).
Ad-supported has been the primary business model, like, *forever*. Only specialty publications ever made any money off subscribers.

The secondary business model has been patronage by a patron usually with a political agenda. This works too.

What I'm saying is, the Internet hasn't actually changed anything in this regard.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. 3 (14) status is missing as of 3:45 pm CST. Train was scheduled to depart Chicago at 3. Is it going, or is there a bustitution, or is it canceled? Anyone know?

No. 3 (14) status is missing as of 3:45 pm CST. Train was scheduled to depart Chicago at 3. Is it going, or is there a bustitution, or is it canceled? Anyone know?
When trains have service disruption the status is usually not available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back