Southwest Chief Derailed in KS 03/14 early AM

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about notifying the police for starters? They likely wanted to sweep the matter under the rug. Terrible result of irresponsible behavior.
Notifying them of what? I had a car run away and it came to rest against a railroad? I suppose if you backed into a telephone pole coming out of a parking spot and it didn't leave a dent in your car, you'd start calling 911 and the utility companies? Hindsight is always 20/20.
Telling somebody is better than telling nobody.

Even if these guys didn't intend to hide the problem, this is what appears to have resulted.

Sorry, Thirdrail, I must disagree with you and agree with Track Walker. Backing into a telephone pole is quite a bit different than bending a railroad track out of alignment. Somebody slipped up big time there not notifying the railroad.
I think Thirdrail7 was implying the truck people did not even know they damaged the track with his comparison of hitting a pole. If you don't think you caused damage that could be a problem later, you're not likely to call it in.
Exactly.

How do you freakin' knock a rail 1' out of whack without noticing?
No operator in the cab that how. Truck hits track then rolls back, and the operator recovers the vehicle. Drives off hoping nobody reports him, so he does not lose his job.
or drives off not even considering that this incident could have resulted in damage.

How about notifying the police for starters? They likely wanted to sweep the matter under the rug. Terrible result of irresponsible behavior.
Notifying them of what? I had a car run away and it came to rest against a railroad? I suppose if you backed into a telephone pole coming out of a parking spot and it didn't leave a dent in your car, you'd start calling 911 and the utility companies? Hindsight is always 20/20.

Even if these guys didn't intend to hide the problem, this is what appears to have resulted.
Indeed, but that falls under 20/20 hindsight. My point is the average person would not consider that damage could or would occur especially if nothing happened to their vehicle. Therefore, they are not likely to call anyone...let alone 911.

Indeed, but that falls under 20/20 hindsight. My point is the average person would not consider that damage could or would occur especially if nothing happened to their vehicle. Therefore, they are not likely to call anyone...let alone 911.
You wouldn't call 911 for an apparent non-emergency situation. All police have a regular number that you can call.

This is hardly about hindsight. It's more about a CYA. You tell the police -- they dismiss it -- well, you let an authority know.

These guys did have damage to their vehicle. From what I've seen so far, these guys left their rears exposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back