Southwest Chief News & Future Operations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think that is happening. If you watch both the LaPlata and Flagstaff cams, they always have the same number of coach cars so no indication that a coach car is removed and left in KC. Incidentally, this summer there a FOUR coach cars on each SWC train set.

JAX wouldn't have the crews or time to make such a move, especially with coaches being on the head end. Besides, this is mostly a western and NEC thing.
So what is causing this shortage of Superliners? Just old age driven side-lining of equipment at a rate faster than they can be fixed and returned to service? Or is it something else?
Could be any number of causes, both legitimate and otherwise, but I've always wondered how long it would take for the never ending list of grade crossing incidents to begin taking their toll again after the primary repair grant period had wound down. I mean there's only so much you can do with a limited and perpetually shrinking resource. I have no magic bullet for Amtrak rolling stock. Does any mainstream passenger car manufacturer still make conventional speed long distance sleeper hardware anymore? Seems like a dying market that has little chance of surviving beyond whatever the next order may be.

DA summed it up but some of it has to do with Amtrak's priorities:

From the Empire Builder Timekeeping Struggles This Summer thread:

I think they are trying scrounge up equipment for another set, which is difficult with all of the PTC test trains, overhauls, refreshes, shopped equipment and sidelined equipment.. They are cutting cars on a few trains to free things up..

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like there might be some ripples of support for the Chief in the Senate.

http://www.hutchnews.com/news/20180725/us-senate-signals-support-for-southwest-chief

The U.S. Senate adopted an amendment to an appropriations bill on Wednesday that signals the bodies support for long-distance train service in the U.S., including the Southwest Chief.

Senator Tom Udall, D-N.M., introduced amendment 3414 to House Resolution 6147, which was co-sponsored by Kansas Senators Pat Roberts and Jerry Moran, and approved on 95-4 vote.

The amendment comes after Amtrak advised federal lawmakers last month it was considering discontinuing through service of the Southwest Chief, which now travels from Chicago to Los Angeles, possibly ending the route at Dodge City and La Junta, Colorado, with a connecting bus in-between.

“I am pleased the Senate is on record overwhelmingly supporting long-distance rail lines like the Southwest Chief and look forward to working with stakeholders and Amtrak to continue full service on the route for all Kansans,” Roberts stated in an email after the vote.

Other sponsors of the amendment included Sens. Michael Bennet, D-Colo., Cory Gardner, R-Colo., and Martin Heinrich, D-N.M.

H.R.6147 is the 2019 appropriations bill for Interior, Environment, Financial Services, and General Government.

Pretty good bi-partisan support and received an Aye from at least one senator in all 50 states.

The Nays being- Lee (R-UT), Paul (R-KY), Sassee (R-NE), and Toomey (R-PA), with McCain not voting (for obvious reasons). Lee and Paul are essentially libertarians, but I don't know Sassee and Toomey's MO.

Pretty good bi-partisan support and received an Aye from at least one senator in all 50 states.

The Nays being- Lee (R-UT), Paul (R-KY), Sassee (R-NE), and Toomey (R-PA), with McCain not voting (for obvious reasons). Lee and Paul are essentially libertarians, but I don't know Sassee and Toomey's MO.
Those four are the libertarian wing of the Republican senate, so they probably wouldn't vote Yes on anything Amtrak related. I will say this, while not guaranteeing the SWC survives, it defines what "national" means for Amtrak. There where rumors that recent guidance from Congress (specifically the house and DOT) had been encouraging Amtrak to take an alternative view of what national meant compared to the way Amtrak had traditionally viewed it as.

I'd like to think my letter writing to California's Senators Feinstein and Harris did some good...

Letter To Amtrak: Keep The Southwest Chief

A bipartisan group of Senators are urging Amtrak to uphold its side of a longstanding public-private partnership to continue operating the Southwest Chief passenger train and long-distance passenger service, particularly through rural communities. The Southwest Chief runs daily between Chicago and Los Angeles and connects towns and cities in Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.

https://sangrechronicle.com/letter-to-amtrak-keep-the-southwest-chief/

Has congress said they expect amtrak to make a profit? Congress doesn't want Amtrak losing money on food and beverage service, which seems reasonable.

Has congress said they expect amtrak to make a profit? Congress doesn't want Amtrak losing money on food and beverage service, which seems reasonable.
Why is that reasonable? F&B is an ancillary service to increase ridership and farebox recovery, not a self standing or core service provided by Amtrak. Should toilet service also be accounted for separately?

It is in the initial legislation creating Amtrak (National Rail Passenger Act of 1970) and has never been removed.
Ah... interesting. I haven't heard of congress trying to get Amtrak to be profitable in recent years though. Have I been missing something?

Why is that reasonable? F&B is an ancillary service to increase ridership and farebox recovery, not a self standing or core service provided by Amtrak. Should toilet service also be accounted for separately?
Well based on the condition of the windows on the last few Amtrak trains I've ridden... it doesn't seem that Amtrak is too concerned with keeping things clean. Restrooms have always been hit or miss on the trains too so I hope they aren't paying too much to keep them clean.

The whole F&B thing I can see both ways... i think there is room for a middle ground with no table service, but an LSA and a chef on board the train preparing a few hot items. But as it was, Amtrak was losing alot of money on food service employees that are not really necessary.

Did the Silver Star lose riders when they dropped the diner?

Did the City of New Orleans lose riders when they dropped the regular diner menu?

Ah... interesting. I haven't heard of congress trying to get Amtrak to be profitable in recent years though. Have I been missing something?
The current language in PRIIA directs Amtrak to "minimize the need for federal subsidies" but the intent is the same. Anderson has referenced that clause in defense of some of the cuts that have been proposed or made.

Don't give them any ideas.

Been reading the thread for the past couple of days.

If someone’s looking to book a SWC trip, what’s the current suggestion? I’m looking at Cardinal + SWC in mid-November, which means I should have no intermediate buses but food is potentially changing?

The RPA just updated their blog with a post about the SWC being saved for now. https://www.railpassengers.org/happening-now/news/blog/a-win-for-the-national-network-and-the-southwest-chief/

Excerpt (emphasis mine):

The Senate voted today to pass a funding bill that includes $2.5 billion for passenger rail and ensures the Southwest Chief continues along its established route, turning back an Amtrak proposal to fragment the service with a bus-bridge.
I'm not sure if this is a victory or not. If there's dedicated funding in it for the SWC it is a victory, otherwise it's just the hollow resolution.

Back