Southwest Chief or Sunset Limited?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach

Train Attendant
Planning a summer rail adventure with my mom and step-dad next summer taking either the SL or SWC from CHI to LAX then the CS up to Portland then either flying back east or take the EB. My question is, which is a better ride, the Sunset Limited or Southwest Chief? I know the SWC has the Raton Pass and would like to see it before the SWC gets re-routed. Just curious as to others experiences between the two routes and which is better, thanks!

Take the SWC. It's a day and night faster. (I assume you mean't the Eagle/Sunset from Chi). By all means take the EB on your return if you have the time.

Planning a summer rail adventure with my mom and step-dad next summer taking either the SL or SWC from CHI to LAX then the CS up to Portland then either flying back east or take the EB. My question is, which is a better ride, the Sunset Limited or Southwest Chief? I know the SWC has the Raton Pass and would like to see it before the SWC gets re-routed. Just curious as to others experiences between the two routes and which is better, thanks!
I've ridden both routes many times over the years and in my view the Southwest Chief wins in nearly every useful measurement. The only time I'd suggest taking the Sunset Limited is if you lived along the route like me or were sick of taking every other LD train in the West and needed something new. Otherwise you're just wasting time better spent on another route. Anyone who tells you otherwise should be viewed with suspicious eyes!

fry-eyes-09-07-2009-14-16-59.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree.

If your a train fanatic and want 3 night on the train, take the TE/SL. If you want 2 nights on the train, take the SWC. On the other side, if you want plains and mountains (to me good scenery), take the SWC. The extra time on the TE/SL is mainly desert (blah scenery IMO - and I lived in the middle of the Mohave Desert for 6 years). Both have same morning connections in LA to the CS.

I have taken both many times also, and I would rather take the SWC to the CS also.

Thanks for the replies! Will probably go with the SWC. When I was showing a map of the possible routes we could take she got excited when she saw the SL/TE route through west Texas because we used to live in west Texas. But if the scenery is better on the SWC will probably go that route, plus, it is faster since the SL/TE has almost a 8 hour stop in San Antonio.

The "good" thing about that stop (and I'm not putting down SAS at all) is that if you're in the #421 coach or sleeper, you can fall asleep while the train is moving while north of SAS, sleep thru the stop and awake on a moving train west of SAS! (If you book train #21 connecting to train #1, you do have to get off and wait for re boarding in the middle of the night. "Train" #421 is actually just 1 coach and 1 sleeper that is transferred between trains.)

When I was showing a map of the possible routes we could take she got excited when she saw the SL/TE route through west Texas because we used to live in west Texas. But if the scenery is better on the SWC will probably go that route, plus, it is faster since the SL/TE has almost a 8 hour stop in San Antonio.
If San Antonio was a 24-hour city then maybe things would be different, but on most days those 8 hours are dead time when nothing important is going on. The scenery is absolutely better on the SC, although it still pales in comparison to other routes like the Coast Starlight or the California Zephyr in my view.

The "good" thing about that stop (and I'm not putting down SAS at all) is that if you're in the #421 coach or sleeper, you can fall asleep while the train is moving while north of SAS, sleep thru the stop and awake on a moving train west of SAS! (If you book train #21 connecting to train #1, you do have to get off and wait for re boarding in the middle of the night. "Train" #421 is actually just 1 coach and 1 sleeper that is transferred between trains.)
I can never sleep through those cars being mashed together, but maybe that's just me.

I can never sleep through those cars being mashed together, but maybe that's just me.
On my two recent round trips through SAS, the yard crew did a pretty good job of switching the sleeper and coach between trains. Very few hard jolts. I stayed up because I wanted to see how they did it, my wife slept through the whole thing!

I've ridden both routes many times over the years and in my view the Southwest Chief wins in nearly every useful measurement. The only time I'd suggest taking the Sunset Limited is if you lived along the route like me or were sick of taking every other LD train in the West and needed something new. Otherwise you're just wasting time better spent on another route. Anyone who tells you otherwise should be viewed with suspicious eyes!
I have to agree.

If your a train fanatic and want 3 night on the train, take the TE/SL. If you want 2 nights on the train, take the SWC. On the other side, if you want plains and mountains (to me good scenery), take the SWC. The extra time on the TE/SL is mainly desert (blah scenery IMO - and I lived in the middle of the Mohave Desert for 6 years). Both have same morning connections in LA to the CS.

I have taken both many times also, and I would rather take the SWC to the CS also.
What's this??? Devil's Advocate and Traveler Dave actually AGREEING on something??? :eek: :eek: :eek:
hell-froze-over-400x221.jpg

For the record, I agree as well. I'd take the SWC. My uncle and I haven't begun to really plan our next Amtrak adventure, but it was discussed in passing taking a Chicago-Seattle trip via the SWC and the CS next summer in case the SWC is indeed rerouted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it's very rare that we agree, but I had no choice. In fact my last trip on the TE/SL was only a couple of weeks ago, and the desert crossings was boring to me. Coming off the CS, in order to get a same day connection, I. Had to take the TE/SL!

As far as the switching and hard jolts, these are my experiences. One time I wanted to see the switching so I want to sleep early, I woke up when we started moving. It was the following morning, and we were just departing SAS! Another time, I was scheduled to change from 421 to 1 in ELP, but my traveling companion (that Jim guy) talked to the new SCA and conductor in SAS. Because the new room was unsold between SAS and ELP, we were allowed to switch in SAS. When I came out of the car, I saw we were already combined. On my last trip, I woke up - and saw th SL sitting next to the TE.

On all my trips thru SAS, at no time did I feel anything during the switching and combining. BTW: I've had the same situation in SPK in both directions.

I was wondering if you are going down thru LA just to do the trip, but if you wanted your parents to see beautiful scenery, taking the California Zephyr in my opinion has the best views thru the mountains west of Denver. You can also take it all the way to Emeryville and only have a few hour layover for the CS up to Portland.

But then I can understand wanting to take the CS from LAX because of the coastline. So I guess it all depends on what you prefer, ocean or mountain.

I was wondering if you are going down thru LA just to do the trip, but if you wanted your parents to see beautiful scenery, taking the California Zephyr in my opinion has the best views thru the mountains west of Denver. You can also take it all the way to Emeryville and only have a few hour layover for the CS up to Portland.

But then I can understand wanting to take the CS from LAX because of the coastline. So I guess it all depends on what you prefer, ocean or mountain.
I've have taken the CZ a few times, however, not with my mom and step-dad. I was doing the SWC to LAX to take the CS up the coastline...But I do agree, the CZ probably has some of the best scenery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back