Southwest Chief or Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I are planning a train trip this January. The conditions:

1. Ends in LAX

2. No more than 2 nights (we will have a sleeper)

3. Leaves after noon on the first day (we'll be flying in whichever city we leave from in the morning)

We've done the coast starlight, so we're looking at either the southwest chief or the texas eagle/sunset limited. If we take the southwest chief, we'll begin in Chicago. If we take the texas eagle/sunset limited we'll begin in Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin or Houston. If we start in Austin or Houston, we'll have at least a half day to tour around there.

Which route would you recommend? Thanks!

If I had my 'druthers, I would be on the South West Chief thru the Rockies - problem is the Doctor told my wifey "You are a sea level type girl - she has to stay below about 4,000 feet - so no Denver or Albuquerque.

She can do the Desert Southwest so we will go from LAX to STL on the Texas Eagle

We (the family) came in from the UK last summer 2008 and after an evening in Chicago did the Southwest Chief all the way to LA and enjoyed it very much. No delays, a great team running the train and fantastic scenery. I would recommend this classic train

PHIL

I haven't been on the Sunset Limited yet, but I did take the Chief from Chicago to LAX back in August. I had a wonderful time. I have a trip report and photos (down in the repies) here:

Trip Report

I would certainly recommend it!

If you decide to take the SL from Austin, I can heartily recommend that city as a fun place to sight-see! I have family there and visit at least once a year. I always have a great time. The LBJ library/museum is very interesting. The Texas state capitol has a free tour that's worth your while. There's a Texas history museum by the capitol that's pretty good. Lots and lots of great Tex-Mex. I especially love the puffy tacos at Vivos.

I guess it would depend on if you're looking to enjoy the scenery or just time on the train and meeting your fellow passengers and relaxing.

If you're looking to do scenery, do the SWC. If you're looking to enjoy a train trip an aren't in a rush to get anywhere really... do the SSL/TE.

I go to LA a couple of times a year from Chicago, and if I have to pick between the SWC and SL/TE, I always go for the SL/TE. Maybe the scenery isn't as grand... but I enjoy the time I get on the Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle. If you're using Guest Reward Points for your trip, it costs the same to go from CHI-LAX on the SWC as it does CHI-LAX on the SL/TE. I opt for the SL/TE because you get a bonus day and night on the train.

But then, if you did that, it might violate your "no more than 2 nights on the train" rule.

But, I think the long 4 day/3 night haul on the SL/TE is fun. I know a lot of people don't (including my now ex-girlfriend who I did the route with back in April 2009) and it seems like it will never end... but I enjoy the time relaxing. And you don't really get tired of the train because it stops in SAS for 8 hours. Yes, it's mostly in the middle of the night, but most of the time as long as we're in by 11PM or 11:30PM... I have always gotten off for the train and walked over to the Alamo (4 blocks) and had a Midnight snack at the Denny's by the train station there.

I too would vote for the SWC for scenery. I lived in the AZ desert, and have seen basically all will see on the entire journey on the TE/SL. At least on the SWC, you will have some plains, some mountains and some desert. On the TE/SL, it is almost all desert on the segments you mentioned during daylight.

My husband and I are planning a train trip this January. The conditions:
1. Ends in LAX

2. No more than 2 nights (we will have a sleeper)

3. Leaves after noon on the first day (we'll be flying in whichever city we leave from in the morning)

We've done the coast starlight, so we're looking at either the southwest chief or the texas eagle/sunset limited. If we take the southwest chief, we'll begin in Chicago. If we take the texas eagle/sunset limited we'll begin in Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin or Houston. If we start in Austin or Houston, we'll have at least a half day to tour around there.

Which route would you recommend? Thanks!
Item 2 just shot the TX Eagle down. That takes 3 nights

Item 2 just shot the TX Eagle down. That takes 3 nights
But - the OP added the following:

My husband and I are planning a train trip this January. If we take the texas eagle/sunset limited we'll begin in Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin or Houston. If we start in Austin or Houston, we'll have at least a half day to tour around there.
That would be a 2 night trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back