Southwest Chief out of L.A.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rms492

Service Attendant
Hello, it has been almost 20 years (!) since I last rode the Southwest Chief out of Los Angeles, and cannot remember anything.

I am going for the Balloon Festival in Albuquerque in a couple of weeks.

A few questions:

1) What time is boarding in Los Angeles for sleeper?

2) What time is dinner served? Is it a full dinner, or a quick lite dinner?

3) Will there be a lunch served just before arrival into Albuquerque?

4) What is the top speed? Is it still 90mph? I know there was some talk a long time ago about degrading from 90 to 79.

Yes, a full dinner was offered last year when I rode the Chief out of LAUS. Top speed still is 90mph. Can't answer the ABQ meal question but I loved the "market" where they sold goods outside the train in ABQ. I believe boarding for sleeper is 30 minutes prior to departure but can't quite remember.

A few questions:
1) What time is boarding in Los Angeles for sleeper?
Usually about 30 - 45 minutes prior to departure time.

2) What time is dinner served? Is it a full dinner, or a quick lite dinner?
Usually pretty much full dinner

3) Will there be a lunch served just before arrival into Albuquerque?
Maybe, due SWC is usually early into ABQ

4) What is the top speed? Is it still 90mph? I know there was some talk a long time ago about degrading from 90 to 79.
Yes, some areas has 90 mph zone. You'll need GPS to check it out or time it between two mile posts.

I believe NM RailRunner (commuter train between Belen - ABQ - Santa Fe) will stop at the Balloon Fiesta platform, but hasn't announced yet. It should be announced anytime on its website.

Last edited by a moderator:
RMS,

As noted by others you will get dinner out of LA. They usually serve a full menu, but it is typically a short seating period, so you don't have muc of a choice of times.

Regarding the ballon festival, not only can you consult with AAARGH, but our own Roxanne1640 is an excellant source of information. Additionally, you could even find yourself in her cab on your way to a hotel or the festival.

On my recent Winslow to Santa Fe trip, I actually had lunch while we were sitting in the station at ABQ. I don't recall what time lunch started, but if the train is on time you won't have much time. You might be better off getting lunch in town.

My GPS did show the top speed at 90 mph, though of course there are a number of areas where it goes slower. Some of the track was rather rough, particularly westbound. Most of the line is double-tracked.

last time i rode the SWC lunch was served WHILE sitting in ABQ and it was by revvy only.

I have an additional question that I would rather not start a new topic on. A close friend of mine and his wife are taking Amtrak for the first time on October 17th. They will be taking the Pacific Surfliner from Oceanside CA to LAX then boarding the SWC to go to KCY. Can they check baggage in Oceanside and have thier checked baggage arrive in KCY? I don't see a problem with this at all but I want this trip to go as good as possible for them so I'm trying to dot my "i's" and cross my "t's" with there questions on this trip. We met for dessert last night to go over any more questions they had and this was the only one I couldn't answer definatively "yes" or "no". Thanks!

I have an additional question that I would rather not start a new topic on. A close friend of mine and his wife are taking Amtrak for the first time on October 17th. They will be taking the Pacific Surfliner from Oceanside CA to LAX then boarding the SWC to go to KCY. Can they check baggage in Oceanside and have their checked baggage arrive in KCY? I don't see a problem with this at all but I want this trip to go as good as possible for them so I'm trying to dot my "i's" and cross my "t's" with there questions on this trip. We met for dessert last night to go over any more questions they had and this was the only one I couldn't answer definitively "yes" or "no". Thanks!
Al - Oceanside has checked baggage so it will be automatically transfered at LAX for them. They won't have to touch it until Kansas City.

I did this last year from Santa Barbara. We checked it there and took it off in Chicago as we rode the Surfliner and SWC. They may very well check the 50lbs limit, though. They did in LAX and Santa Barbara as we went both direction on that trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back