Southwest Chief Re-Route?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Raton can get a PTC waiver according to the existing rules, that's not an issue.

The issue is really that the current signalling system is falling apart and the tracks (and right-of-way and bridges) need very substantial work from La Junta to Lamy.

If push comes to shove, Raton could be run using track warrants between Trinidad and Lamy until money is found to spiffy up the signals. :) It is not like anything runs at blazingly high speeds there. After all there will be exactly one train each way per day, even though they meet up in that segment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, with one train each way per day, you could set up a permanent manual block system with two blocks, based on the location of the planned meet. There's *still* the problem of keeping the track up to speed.

What you have heard is not the truth, it is high pressure sales talk and garbage. The stations needed have already been committed to by cities and owner, so that is no cost to Amtrak. The needed sidings is for station platforms. Current sidings are all able to handle current train lengths on Transcon route: where as all sidings on current "Chief" route would have to be lengthened for freight traffic to meet BNSF spec. PLUS the entire portion of New Mexico part will have to be replaced included bridges and a lot of roadbed reworked. PLUS PTC will begin soon and current "Chief" route from La Junta to 22 miles west of Lamy does not have PTC and will not have it. When PTC goes into effect passenger trains can only haul passengers on PTC protected rail. The 22 million$ grant ask for was granted at 12.5 million$ and applies from Las Animas Co eastward to Newton Ks. Maybe back to back oil trains??? Go back and read all the post to this thread, you will enjoy it.
nope, don't find it very entertaining. I think they'll have a breakthrough for retainment.

"more than 30 freight and commuter railroads are plowing ahead with their implementation plans; originally, 41 railroads were impacted by the PTC mandate, but several short lines have obtained Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) waivers that have significantly reduced or virtually eliminated any required work. Two passenger railroads — Amtrak and Metrolink — even expect to substantially complete installation by 2012’s end."

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/c_s/article/PTC-Railroads-attempt-to-get-a-better-handle-on-positive-train-control-implementation--28778

Couldn't you find something a little more recent than from 2011, specifically while talking about current status of PTC deployment?

Say for example something like this Article on AAR Report from 2014, for example?

But truth be told, PTC is more or less irrelevant in a Raton route discussion, since they won't even have change any rules to just give it a waiver.

Couldn't you find something a little more recent than from 2011, specifically while talking about current status of PTC deployment?

Say for example something like this Article on AAR Report from 2014, for example?

But truth be told, PTC is more or less irrelevant in a Raton route discussion, since they won't even have change any rules to just give it a waiver.
i was only looking at whether they were allowing waivers. Yes, yours is more encompassing.

Last edited:
It's too bad Gov. Martinez isn't a visionary. With the line purchased and Colorado working on connecting Pueblo and eventually Colo Springs/Denver

to the line it would be a huge economic boost to the area.
Yeah, I think we were all hoping for that. :-( But no, she's not a visionary like Richardson was.
Was Richardson really a visionary? In the two years I lived there, all I saw was a whole bunch of money being spent with his GRIP logo and face posted everywhere. He's a California politician who came to New Mexico to bankrupt them and leave.

RailRunner got built because Richardson decided to make it happen; to stop the delays and actually get it done. That's definitely a vision. Maybe not a huge vision, but a vision, so yeah, a visionary. :)

Similar thing happened with Ventura and the Hiawatha light rail line in Minnesota.

Nonsense talk of "bankrupt" is nonsense, the sort of thing right-wingers use to scare small children; it betrays a lack of understanding of government finance.

What has been said; is said and what has been done; is done. Amtrak's self imposed deadline has come and gone and we are awaiting word from BNSF and Amtrak regarding their new contract. We may not hear for 11 months but we do know an answer is coming. Some are going to be disappointed, some are going to be elated . but this rubber duck will be happy either way.

I have heard from good authority that Amtrak is keeping the current route. Not sure how everything is getting paid for (other than the parts covered by the federal grant).

It seams that some were thinking that New Mexico was going to be able to fund the rail upgrades through their Capital Outlay Fund. They must have been wrong because it is not listed in their Capital outlay projects as of Tuesday, Jan.27,2015.

It seams that some were thinking that New Mexico was going to be able to fund the rail upgrades through their Capital Outlay Fund. They must have been wrong because it is not listed in their Capital outlay projects as of Tuesday, Jan.27,2015.
I live in Albuquerque. I've heard N.M. would need $4 million a year to fund the state's section of the Amtrak used rail. Our Governor and state House are more interested in cutting the budget than putting money into repairs of the pesent Amtrak route.

I also heard a reroute would bring the SWC through N.M. on a route just south of Albuquerque (skipping the area in the northeast part of N.M.)

, and that the train would "back up" (?) to ABQ to load passengers, or Amtrak would run a bus service to a station south of ABQ.

If they re-route, it would take the "Transcon" which passes south of Albuquerque through Belen then on to Clovis and Amarillo. Consensus that they most likely would run the train up to Albuquerque and back, there's a wye in Albuquerque so they'd turn the train, not run it backwards.

The re-route is problematic for a lot of reasons, and there has apparently been a lot behind the scenes to cobble something together to keep it on its current route. Both Amtrak and BNSF prefer it, and BNSF now seems resisting routing it onto the Transcon, so there is a chance the train may die all together if it can't stay where it is. The fact that the 12/31/2014 deadline to come up with a plan has come and gone without any announcement is a positive sign, though There is something going on.

It could be that they are stalling for time to finish the double tracking on Trans con and also to give New Mexico one last chance before legislature session ends on March 21. I really think the New Mexico anti-donation clause blindsided most people.

I know I am just some guy on the Internet who is not giving much detail, but my source is very good. It has been decided already to stay on the current route.

I know I am just some guy on the Internet who is not giving much detail, but my source is very good. It has been decided already to stay on the current route.
And where's the money for that supposed to come from?
Apparently the grant money is suppose to cover Kansas and Colorado. It is felt the tracks in New Mexico are not as bad and options are being considered.

That is all that was told to me about how it would be paid for.

Could it be that who you know doesn't know as much as you think he knows?

In one corner, we have Printman. Established poster of nearly 10 years who seems to generally know what's going on and isn't prone to spread BS.

In the other corner we have some random guest with no credibility whatsoever, making wild claims and refusing to cite sources when pressed.

Yeah, I know who I'm going to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back