Southwest Chief Run-Through

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Ben

Since the Southwest Chief and the Capitol Limited use the same trainsets, why can't they name it the same train, have a 2 hour or so layover at Chicago, and maybe have a same-day turnaround in Washington, which would save a trainset? Both these trains have good enough on time records to do this. 2 hours in Chicago would be enough padding. The CZ and Empire Builder could arive maybe just a little earlier and depart just a little later to insure the connections. Comments?

Two hours is nowhere near enough time to adequately service and turn the train in Chicago.

Provided the equipment is available, the current rotation has train 4 spending the night in Chicago before departing as train 30 the next day. If that extra trainset isn't available, 30 gets delayed by several hours, as it has to get its equipment off the first inbound Superliner train that can be turned (i.e. SW Chief, Empire Builder, or California Zephyr). Not a pretty sight.

At one time the Capitol did run through Chicago. However, in addition to what rmadisonwi mentioned, it created a few other lesser problems. Some passengers didn't want to leave the train in Chicago, which created problems for the cleaning crews. It also created security/safety problems as passengers would try to leave the train while the train was being serviced.

It also created another problem, in that things were disapearing from passenger luggage during the layover.

For all those reasons, mine & rmadisonwi's, run thru service was stopped years ago.

AlanB said:
At one time the Capitol did run through Chicago. However, in addition to what rmadisonwi mentioned, it created a few other lesser problems. Some passengers didn't want to leave the train in Chicago, which created problems for the cleaning crews. It also created security/safety problems as passengers would try to leave the train while the train was being serviced.
It also created another problem, in that things were disapearing from passenger luggage during the layover.

For all those reasons, mine & rmadisonwi's, run thru service was stopped years ago.
I believe it was a pilot program before Amtrak decided to do away with the National Limited(that was what the new train would be called).

I mean a run-through like the Sunset does in NO. The Sunset seems to be ok in NO. With a shorter layover in Chicago, the Capitol could depart Chicago earlier and leave Washington later, which would be enough time to turn the train in Washington.

Ben said:
I mean a run-through like the Sunset does in NO. The Sunset seems to be ok in NO. With a shorter layover in Chicago, the Capitol could depart Chicago earlier and leave Washington later, which would be enough time to turn the train in Washington.
The problem with that idea, returns to the fact that the Capitol Ltd carrys too many passengers who are transfering to East Coast trains in DC. So a late SW Chief, would kill all of those connections. There are many people from the Chicago area who connect with LD trains at DC or corridor service.

With the current setup, a late Chief doesn't break connections for those originating in Chicago.

engine999 said:
AlanB said:
At one time the Capitol did run through Chicago.  However, in addition to what rmadisonwi mentioned, it created a few other lesser problems.  Some passengers didn't want to leave the train in Chicago, which created problems for the cleaning crews.  It also created security/safety problems as passengers would try to leave the train while the train was being serviced.

I believe it was a pilot program before Amtrak decided to do away with the National Limited(that was what the new train would be called).
The National Limited was discontinued in 1979. This Capitol-Chief run through was in the late 1990s. I thought I read somewhere that the train would be called the Capitol Chief.

Back