Southwest Chief vs. Sunset Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thomas

I have about a week in Los Angeles and want to go east on Amtrak. My 2 options are the Southwest Chief or the Sunset Limited. Which one is better for scenery? Thanks.

I don't think that he's got a destination in mind, he's just looking to basically joyride on Amtrak out of LA. However, what we really need to know is how many days of riding can he do?

I'd still probably opt for the Southwest Chief as the more scenic. But knowing the number of travel days might just change that recomendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
About a week. I can go to Chicago or New Orleans. Which line is more scenic?

About a week. I can go to Chicago or New Orleans. Which line is more scenic?
Well in my opinion they are similar as they both cross vast desert regions. You get a longer ride on the sunset and the end destination is New Orleans, a party town with great food and the Canal and St Charles streetcar lines. But then Chicago is a great place too. Toss a coin.

Well if your idea of scenery is mountains (which is what many people look for), then your only choice is the Southwest Chief. If you like looking at any type of scenery, then either would be a fine choice. Know that the SWC however has a much better on time record than does the Sunset and of course New Orleans is still struggling to come back from the devastating flood.

Overall I think the SWC has the slight edge as far as scenery, although the last 1/4 of the ride probably goes to the Sunset, going through all the bayous and swamp land between Houston and New Orleans.

And for the record, the city of New Orleans, although still rebounding from Katrina in many ways, is back in just as many ways. All the areas you would be visiting are back as they were pre August 2005. All of the streetcar lines are up and running, as well as most hotels, restaurants, and attractions. Don't let a storm 3+ years ago be a deterrant from visiting the city.

The Sunset's on time record has been slowly, but steaditly improving. Speaking of that the Sunset arrived at New Orleans today 1hr and 31mins early. Even though this decision is difficult. So I'm going to say choose the Southwest Chief since it does travel at 90mph+ along most of it's route. Plus you do pass through several landmarks including Glorieta Pass.

And for the record, the city of New Orleans, although still rebounding from Katrina in many ways, is back in just as many ways. All the areas you would be visiting are back as they were pre August 2005. All of the streetcar lines are up and running, as well as most hotels, restaurants, and attractions. Don't let a storm 3+ years ago be a deterrant from visiting the city.
Absolutely agreed! New Orleans remains a thoroughly wonderful city to visit ... I was there last week, in fact. :) Unless they specifically go looking for it, most visitors are unlikely to notice any of the hurricane after-effects, at all.

As for the Chief versus the Sunset, I'd have to agree that the Chief's run through New Mexico is the most dramatic stretch of Amtrak mileage in the southwest. But I'd probably choose the Sunset overall, for its mix of wide-open desert scenery and bayou country. The Beaumont Pass crossing is kind of cool with all the windmills, and the Huey Long bridge across the Mississippi is utterly spectacular. The Sunset has a nice on-board "feel", too ... more laid-back than Amtrak's other long-distance western trains.

SWC then...

It always seemed like a fun ride... but New Orleans is the better destination IMHO... but if this is about the train and not the destination... SWC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any particular reason Coast Starlight is off the table?
Good point. Three ways to head east from Los Angeles using the Starlight:

1) Transfer (overnight) at Emeryville/San Francisco to the Zephyr, then to Denver or Chicago.

2) Take the Bus from Klamath Falls to the Empire Builder.

3) Overnight in Portland or Seattle, then take the Empire Builder to Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back