Southwest Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PPorro

Train Attendant
I couldn't find the "search topics here" so I started my own.

Looking at the Southwest Chief for my ride out to buy an un-rusted car in NM. (I'm in Wisconsin) Looks like 26 hours from Chicago. Can anyone tell me about the rail cars if someone is going to start out Coach and see how far I can go without breaking down and paying for a Roomette?

Onboard the Southwest Chief, enjoy Superliner Sleeping and Dining Car accommodations and spectacular views from our renowned Sightseer Lounge Car.

Sightseeing Lounge Car? Is that first come, walk up? Can I sit up there from Sunrise until I get to Albuquerque? Superliner, reclining seats, what do I need? Pillow and blanket or any other necessities. All carry-on, one camera bag, one extra lens, no tripod. Photo Ops. along the way, from the train, I estimated the daylight would be mostly in Kansas, tip of Colorado and then New Mexico.

Looking at Nov., one way trip, is that off season? Haven't figured out what to do about Internet. Too bad the USA hasn't moved into the 21st Century and included Internet on trains?

First rail trip since about 1988 so anything else?

First off, Coach is reasonably comfortable. It all depends on your ability to sleep in coach. I would bring ear plugs and a mask to block out light at night. Pillow and blanket for sure.

Sightseeing lounge is a first come first served car. On the upper level, you have tables and seating, and on the lower level is a snack area, where you can buy sandwiches, pizza, and other items. Amtrak serves Pepsi Products, and alcohol as well if that is your thing.

The dining car is good for breakfast lunch, and dinner, If you are going coach, the prices can be a bit of a shock for supper, but for me, its worth it. If you end up wanting a roomette, good luck, if they arent sold out, you could possibly be told that they are sold out by conductors not wanting to do the paperwork. On the other hand, the conductors may be willing to do it, its just a luck of the draw on that one.

You could sit in the lounge as long as you want, although I usually only stay there for a bit, then I let someone else have it.

I hope you enjoy your trip though.

If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Anthony

November is pretty predictable the later in the month you would desire to travel: Crowded at best, Sold Out at worst. The week before and after Thanksgiving is the busiest period of time for Amtrak's system in the year. If you are set on traveling in November, do so the first week if possible. Looking on AmSnag for the Southwest Chief between Chicago and Lamy, New Mexico you are looking at $129 for a coach seat, and the low bucket fare for roomette right now is $238. If it were me, I would go for the roomette right now as that is not an unreasonable price at all (remember, you get a bed, privacy, cleaner toilets, much more personalized service, meals included in your ticket price, and access to the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago!)

All up to you, of course! If pinching pennies, then the coach seat will still be nicer accommodations than flying or driving. If looking to enjoy your trip to the fullest extent, go sleeper. Just don't linger on the thought too long, as some trains are already selling out for the holiday travel period!! :wacko:

Since you're traveling in November, you'll have daylight from Chicago to western Illinois. Unfortunately, the sun will probably be down by the time you cross the Mississippi. You'll have a long stop in Kansas City, MO to stretch your legs and get some fresh air. This occurs right around the same time they dim the lights and switch to "quiet hours".

The SWC travels across Kansas in the middle of the night, and then the sun comes up in eastern Colorado, where you have another long stop at La Junta. You'll have nice, morning sunshine as you travel toward and through the Raton Pass, the most scenic part of the trip, and it will be daylight all the way to Albuquerque.

The issue with providing internet on the westbound trains is that the trains go through many spotty (or non-existant) service areas. Some people have issues getting cell phone service, so even if the train did provide Wi-Fi, it would only work a percentage of the time and would be fairly unreliable. If you look at the SWC's route, it goes through some pretty remote areas. Honestly, though, I consider that a bonus. The scenery is so gorgeous that I really don't miss the internet. I'm perfectly fine with a book and camera. If I do feel like checking my email or something, I can use my cell phone to do that.

I hope you enjoy your trip. We take the SWC to Albuquerque once or twice per year, and we love it. Our next trip is going to be the week of Thanksgiving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I meant Thanksgiving. LD trains get ridiculously crowded around Thanksgiving.
Sort of like Florida trains are really expensive when you book them at the last minute?
I don't think that's just restricted to Florida, though.
I guess I was too subtle.

I don't think that you know what you're typing about.

The Southwest Chief isn't "ridiculously crowded" around Thanksgiving. You can book a roomette from Chicago to Albuquerque on any date in the week of Thanksgiving for $238, which is about as low as that city pair gets these days. The final price is actually lower, since coach seems to be in the second bucket, so buying a roomette only adds about $200 to one person's fare.

So what actually are you basing your claim on?

Yeah, I meant Thanksgiving. LD trains get ridiculously crowded around Thanksgiving.
Sort of like Florida trains are really expensive when you book them at the last minute?
I don't think that's just restricted to Florida, though.
I guess I was too subtle.

I don't think that you know what you're typing about.

The Southwest Chief isn't "ridiculously crowded" around Thanksgiving. You can book a roomette from Chicago to Albuquerque on any date in the week of Thanksgiving for $238, which is about as low as that city pair gets these days. The final price is actually lower, since coach seems to be in the second bucket, so buying a roomette only adds about $200 to one person's fare.

So what actually are you basing your claim on?
Riding the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back